News from the View!
Dedicated to furthering the lives of our students.
Hello Northview Middle School families,
I would like to begin by thanking you for allowing us to serve your students. We can't thank you enough for the support you have given us and them during these trying times. We know that although many of these obstacles we are faced with may not leave us in the near future, please be assured that we are going to do everything within our powers to support you and our student community. As we close out the 2019-2020 school year we have learned a lot about how to support students within this distance learning environment.
I believe that when we return in the fall, we will be primed for success and support of your students. Whether that be returning to the environment that we are most accustomed to, or to hybrid of distance learning and in person instruction, we will be ready for your students. As a building leadership team we have begun to anticipate what fall might look like in our learning communities. We’re learning from school communities across the state and nation and from our students about meaningful ways to connect, teach, learn, and lead.
Throughout this planning our students, educators, and parents have offered insights and specific strategies that will ensure academic success in our learning community this fall. I am grateful for your perspective and your insights. If you have other ideas about how we can better serve our students in the upcoming year, please use the link below to share them. Your submissions will be shared with teacher-leaders, administrators, counselors, and student-leaders as we plan for our bright and bold future. Thank you again for your support of the North View Middle School community.
This update contains information on our school goals for instruction and achievement, activities used to meet those goals, and our progress toward meeting these goals. In this issue you will be provided with:
- End of the year celebration information.
- Incoming 6th-grade transition information.
- Information about our summer book club.
- An update regarding yearbooks.
- Information about supports and resources.
If you have any questions about this or anything else related to North View Middle School, please connect with me here. You can also stay up to date by following me at @NVMSPrincipal or liking our Facebook page by clicking here.
Share your Experience
Celebrating our Students
North View Honors
Celebrating our 8th Graders
Click here to be taken to an online bulletin board that displays messages for our 8th graders from our staff and students. We won't be able to say goodbye in person, but we want them to know how special they have been to us. We thank them for the memories. We'll miss them tremendously!
Welcoming our Future 6th Graders!
We want to welcome our incoming 6th-grade student(s) to North View Middle School! Even though we can not hold a traditional open house for your student and family this year, our staff is excited to introduce your student(s) to the middle school. This is why we created a “virtual tour” website.
Our Principal, teachers, and staff created short videos to introduce themselves to you, letting you know what to expect at North View Middle School, and show you some of the work you will complete. Also, some of our amazing 7th-grade WEB ambassadors created videos to give you words of wisdom on the transition. We hope you enjoy this “virtual tour” and we can’t wait to see you in the fall.
Summer Reading Opportunities
Updates about the status of yearbooks:
- Because of COVID -19, production and shipment of yearbooks through TreeRing is delayed.
- Recently purchased yearbooks will be delivered at the earliest on June 16th.
- They will fulfill all orders and as we receive information about their printing and shipping status, our yearbook advisor will provide updates to families that have ordered books.
- You can still order yearbooks, but please know they will also be delayed.
Home Heating Assistance
The flyer below will provide you with information on assistance in paying for home heating costs and furnace repairs for income-qualified households. This serves both renters and homeowners.
Get Your NVMS Gear
We, the staff at North View Middle School, commit to…
- Providing challenging academic opportunities that are relevant, engaging, culturally responsive, and rigorous.
- Providing a meaningful, encouraging and safe environment that fosters the whole child, and focuses on student strengths.
- Including data driven best practices and instruction that meets the academic and individual needs of our students, improves student achievement, and promotes growth.
- Engaging in continued professional development to ensure that we are aware of our students’ racial perspectives, challenge our biases, and include practices that serve our diverse student population.
- Providing effective collaborative partnerships with the entire school community by ensuring that we encourage multiple opportunities for involvement, communication, and access.
- Modeling and implementing daily engaging multi-level reading and writing strategies within our classrooms.
- Accepting responsibility for each student’s success and celebrate that success with our school community.
This is my sixth year serving as principal of North View Middle School. Before coming to North View, a large portion of my professional career has been spent with Osseo Area schools, six of which were spent working as the Assistant Principal of Osseo Senior High. Before that, I spent time as a Dean of Students for Richfield High School and middle school level Science teacher and behavior dean with the Minneapolis public school system.
While in Minneapolis, I spent five wonderful years teaching middle level Science at Lincoln Community School and Anishanabe Academy to sixth, seventh and eighth graders, and two years providing academic and behavioral support while working as dean. My past experiences have shaped my core beliefs and philosophy of education. For me, schools must be an integral part of the community they serve. They should also be focused on high expectations for all students, and through developmentally appropriate and strong instructional practices, give students the knowledge, skills and confidence needed to exceed these expectations.
If you would like to connect with me please click here. I would love to hear from you!