September 6, 2013
Odds and Ends
Logins for Sierra
Please remember that we have a limited number of logins for Sierra. These are used by the machines at Circ, Sue, Rhonda, Carol S., Jen, Carol B. and the Music Library. Also, a student working on inventory will need one as well. Please remember to log off when you are not actually using the Sierra modules so that someone else won't be locked out.
Shifts in Periodicals and Paradigms
- Carol Smith is finished with her weightlifting program (also known as weeding and shifting back issues of periodicals). There is now room behind the front desk for use in some of the acquisitions and a much more spacious and organized staff and student snack space.
- The reserve area is now also expanded as a result of the shifting. Yes, Brett, we may get to walk a few steps farther in order to retrieve something from reserve for a faculty member with a last name late in the alphabet. :-) This is part of our staff exercise program.
- For a good while, I have been hearing rumblings around campus that we need a Faculty and Staff Resource Center. At the meeting this week of the President's Commission on Student Learning, this finally did come to pass. One will be created. It appears that what we have always known as Carol Bowman's office will be that place. Carol is graciously working on preparing the room for a new occupant. It will likely be a few months - maybe even next semester - before it is all a reality, but it does make a lot of sense. In fact, I was able to make the offer before someone decided to just come in and take it over. That sounds like a small thing, but it is a wonderful way for us to stay in the conversation as a full partner in the mission of the college. The library is the perfect place to house such a resource center and host the conversations and growth that will happen there. Watch for more details as I know them. Do you feel the paradigm shifting?
Points of View Reference Center
Homework for this time will be to look at the Points of View Reference Center. As usual, what are some things you think are noteworthy and cool about it? How can you see this being used in an interaction with a student?
Connect With Us!
- Chat with a librarian on our webpage
- Text a librarian at 304-460-1695
- Facebook (Annie Merner Pfeiffer Library)
- Twitter (Follow @AMPLibrary)