Lenoir City Schools News Update
While you were out on break, we officially closed on the purchase of the building in downtown Lenoir City which adds additional space to our school system. We will work toward a timeline for developing a professional learning space for teachers in the new building and moving the central office support services to downtown by the end of this school year. I will keep you updated on the progress toward that goal.
Once again, welcome back!
Every Student Succeeds Act
New legislation regarding the Elementary and Secondary Act has been passed and signed into law by President Obama. As the states get information shared with them, Tennessee will look at the way we will abide by the new law. The new Every Student Succeeds Act will take full effect during the 2017-18 school year. During 2016-17, schools will transition between rules under No Child Left Behind and the ESSA.
The new ESEA bill is called, “The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). It includes the following points:
- Eliminates AYP and one-size-fits-all accountability measures
- Allows states to reserve up to 3 percent of their Title II funds for school leader activities
- Authorizes school leader recruitment and support programs to prepare principals to work in high-need schools
- Provides funding to states for comprehensive birth−grade 12 literacy initiatives
- Allows districts to use Title IV funding for education technology, including professional learning opportunities for principals and teachers
- Highly qualified regulations are no longer in effect