- You will be able to change an equation from vertex form to standard form
- You will be able to change a quadratic equation in to vertex form by completing the squares
- You will be able to identify whether to use the quadratic formula or completing the squares in an equation
Maximum And Minimum
If the a is negative, you're going to find the maximum value as the parabola opens downwards.
If the value of a is positive, you're always going to get the minimum value because the parabola opens upwards.
Completing The Squares
Here are some examples on how to change from vertex form to standard.
Completing Squares Simplified Steps
1. Group x-terms.
2. Common factor just the value of “a” from the x-terms. Simply factor out the number in front.
3. Divide the coefficient of the middle term by two, square it, then add and subtract that number inside the brackets.
4. Remove the subtracted term from the brackets. On the way out of the brackets, it is multiplied by the “a” value that you factored out.
5. Write the perfect square trinomial as the square of a binomial
Example Of Vertex Form To Standard Form
The Quadratic Formula
Steps On How To Solve The Using The Quadratic Formula
- A standard form, ax^2 + bx + c, determines the values of a, b and c in the quadratic formula.
- First plug in the values to the quadratic formula and solve using BEDMAS principles.
- When done square rooting the number, separate the positive and the negative (between -b ± √) off separately to get both of the zeroes/x-intercepts.
- Solve both branches and you will end up with both your x-intercepts/zeroes.
The discriminate can be used to determine how many solution an equation will have.
The equation for discriminate is D=b²-4ac and you substitute the values from your original equation to solve for the discriminate. If the discriminate is more than 0 that means that there will be 2 solutions. If the discriminate is 0 then there will be 1 solution and lastly if the discriminate is less than 0 there will be no solutions.
This means that there is 2 solutions.
This means there is 1 solution
This means there are no solutions