Buckalew Buzz- Remote Learning
A Communication Tool for Our Buckalew Family and Community
April 17, 2020
Conroe ISD in NOW be closed until May 4, 2020. Updates will continue to be shared via this Buzz, email blasts, and our Remote Learning Center "RLC".
Video Announcements for STUDENTS and PARENTS for the Week of April 17-23 with special guest, Nurse Eudy!
Show us your Spirit for the week of April 20-24
Picture Perfect THURSDAY Video to Share with Students! Click Picture Below to see April 10-17th
Thank you for your feedback!
Just a few further explanations based on feedback:
- Packet Pick-ups on Tuesday: We have intentionally scheduled packet-pickups district-wide in coordination with the same days of the week that CISD is distributing food on Tuesdays. The handouts are provided in the email on Monday from the homeroom teacher if you need it earlier to print on your own. We thank you for understanding that we are trying to coordinate essential operations and minimize creating multiple trips out of the house to pick up different services throughout our district for all families.
- Receiving assignments before Monday: Buckalew homeroom teachers are sending out 1 email to provide expectations for the entire week on Monday. We have intentionally created this on Monday so there is no pressure to do more over a weekend, or can utilize a weekend to get caught up. We want you to utilize Monday's expectations to work around your schedule. With the opportunity to re-do, turn in late assignments, and join in as you are able to, we want to continue to be flexible for your needs, and consistent with our communication for all families.
- Need More Work: Some of you expressed that you need more activities. As a campus, each grade level has recommended enrichment activities. These are great opportunities if you need more structure and content delivered to your child. This can include reading books in paper or online form, DREAMBOX Math online lessons, and a variety of options within your grade level. We also have AMAZING Specials Teachers creating lessons on Facebook and Canvas for your children.
- TOO Much Work: Please reach out to your homeroom teacher about how to prioritize any work sent home.
- Our Incredibly Creative Specials Teachers: Here are a few things they want you to know: They are regularly providing engaging and fun activities on Canvas to help keep any and all students connected to their classes, but they are completely optional. Feel free to browse through the specials assignments, and find some you would like to try. Specials also has additional activities including Library and Technology on the Buckalew Remote Learning site
Please Email us with any questions:
Shannon Doak, Art Sdoak@conroeisd.net
Stephanie Ramirez, Music email@example.com
Tim (Coach) Russell, PE firstname.lastname@example.org
Amy Reynolds, Technology email@example.com
Jennifer West, Library Jgwest@conroeisd.net
2020- 2021 Registration Intentions
In order for us to plan appropriately, we have asked all of our parents to complete a questionnaire to let us know if your child will be returning to Buckalew for the 2020-2021 school year.
If you have not submitted your questionnaire, please click HERE.
If you have already submitted your questionnaire, we would like to thank you for your help. We will be following up with phone calls after this week, if we haven't heard from you through the link above. Thanks again.
Class Placement 2020-21
We strive to place your child in the best classroom based on his/her academic, social, and emotional needs. We know that as parents you want what is best for your child, and so do we. We want you to be excited about your child’s teacher placement and want to assure you that our teachers are all caring, committed, and working as a team in the best interest of every single child.
Our placement committee spends a tremendous amount of time carefully placing each and every child. Much thought goes into this extensive process. Our committee works hard to balance both individual needs and class dynamics, so much that with every change, a domino effect occurs.
We are not able to honor specific teacher placement requests. Sibling requests will be considered but are not guaranteed as class composition is top priority.
If you feel strongly regarding your child’s needs, we ask that you submit those needs in the form HERE no later than April 24th. Any Google Forms received after April 24th may not be considered due to the placement committee having begun or completed the placement process.
We hope this opportunity will help alleviate concerns you have over placement for next year. We take it very seriously and only want what is best for each and every child. We thank you for your support in understanding the time and individual care we take with the placement of each and every child on this campus.
Facebook LIVE EVENTS for PRE K, Kinder, and NEW student registration
Ways to Make a Difference
Counselor's Corner with Mrs. Points
This week's guidance lessons focus on Resilence: Bouncing Back from Disappointment. I hope your family will catch both my Thursday Facebook lesson and my weekly Canvas site lesson found in our remote learning center. Thank you for allowing me to support your child's social and emotional learning.
Something to think about:
Coping Skills Challenge
Each week, I will be presenting 6 new coping skill ideas that both children and adults
can use. Challenge your child (and family) to try one of the week's coping skills. I'd love
to hear about your adventure in finding emotional balance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are this week's copying skills:
1. Take Deep Breaths
2. Listen to Music (Sing/Dance)
3. Play Outside
4. Talk to a Friend or Adult
5. Draw or Color a Picture
6. Take a Nap
Free Parenting Resource Information from Love and Logic
For a limited time only! To help families during this time. https://www.loveandlogic.com/collections/spr20/products/love-and-logic-parenting-online
Buckalew's Remote Learning Center "RLC" Link
Expanded and Free Internet Resources
The Texas Cable Association released information on free broadband and internet services, describing steps to enable and expand access to broadband. All four Texas Cable Association members have pledged to not cut off broadband or telephone service to any customers, even those unable to pay their bills; waive late fees incurred because of their economic circumstances related to the Coronavirus pandemic; and open their Wi-Fi hotspots to all.
Click here for more information:
Here are some helpful resources from our friends at Interfaith of the Woodlands:
Our offices remain OPEN every day, as we provide basic needs to S. Montgomery County.
Our hours will be 9am-4pm, Monday - Friday.
All of our services are "Curbside" or by Phone.
Our goal is to continue to serve our neighbors in need.
-Families & Individuals seeking food assistance: Call 281-367-1230
-Seniors needing food: Call 832-615-8224
-Families and Seniors needing financial assistance: 281-367-1230
-Individuals needing non-COVID-19 related Medical or dental assistance: Call 281-364-7889
-Individuals needing help to find a job: Call our Workforce Solutions Conroe office at 936-441-0037 or email: email@example.com