Mrs. Richardson and Mrs. Dorothy's Kindergarten Class
Our first Academic Teacher Parent Meeting
If you could not make it to our first meeting, I will be holding another meeting this Friday at 5:00. I will be contacting you to confirm your reservations.
Ways to help your student at home with descriptors
Select a Place, Activity, Item or Feeling to Describe
- Think of a book that you’ve read to them, where does it take place
- Places they’ve been or would like to go to
- Any activity they’ve participated in (school, sports, church)
- Play “I Spy”
- Select real objects at home to describe (toy, clothing, housewares)
- Feelings and Why
- How did you (or someone else) feel about that?
You Model the Behavior and Vocabulary
1) You select an item/place/event to describe
2) Brainstorm with your child words to use when describing
3) You describe the item using complete sentences
4) Be sure to use 5-6 sentences
5) Have your child select an item/place/event and have them describe it.
6) Encourage your child, support them when they say “I don’t know anymore”
7) Make a game of it “Can you guess what I have/ a place I am thinking of/ what happened?”
8) Take 5-10 minutes every day to practice describing.
9) Use complete sentences
10) Be specific. Don’t use words “It, This, That, and Thing
11) Use the 5 senses
-touch, sight, sound, taste, and smell
Sight will be the biggie
-Shape, Color, Size, Height
Meet Some of our Classmates
How Can you make a donation toward our iPad?
What's going on in class?
Sight Word Super Stars: Sight Word Super Stars were awarded to students who able to read 10 sight words fluently. Students will be awarded a Super Star for each group of 10 sight words read fluently. They will be able to earn 10 Super Stars this year.
Career Week: We had a very busy week listening to the Community Helpers that visited our classroom this week. Please be sure to look at the pictures below. These pictures would be great prompts for practicing our APTT Describing skill with your student!
Math Assessments: We also finished our first complete set of math assessments on Friday. I assessed your child's ability to identify 3D shapes, positional words, composing larger shapes with smaller shapes and comparing shapes (an APTT skill). See Golden Apples for results.
Scholastic Book Orders: Due this Friday. If you need a new flyer, just let me know.
Science This week we will start our new unit on Living and Non-living
Mrs. Richardson's Golden Apples
ELA Assessments:Perfect Score/Spelling Test: Samantha, Derrius, Nevaeh
Sight Word Super Stars: Jaylen, Samantha, Landen, Derrius, Jayden, Natalie, Bayron, Janyiah, Esperonza, Nevaeh, Hunter, Michael, Destiny, Erica
Perfect Score Positional Words: Jaylen, Samantha, Landen, Derrius, Jayden, Natalie, Bayron, Micah, Janiyah, Nevaeh, Hunter, Matthew, Michael, Destiny
Composing Larger Shapes from Smaller Shapes: Jaylen, Samantha, Landen, Derrius, Jayden, Natalie, Bayron, Micah, Bryan, Janiyah, Esperanza, Nevaeh, Hunter, Matthew, Michael, Erica