News from the Nest
Timely Information, Resources & Tools for our Families
Wayland-Cohocton Elementary School
- Cohocton Building: Pre-K & Remote Learning Support (RLS) Center
- Wayland Building: Grades K-4 Hybrid and Remote Learning
Soaring in Action
Learning in the Nest
Save the Date
Friday, Feb. 12th, 3:30pm to Monday, Feb. 22nd, 9am
Wayland, NY, USA
Board of Education Meetings
Monday, Feb. 22nd, 6pm
Wayland-Cohocton Central School District, NY, USA
Spring Picture Day
Tuesday, March 2nd, 9am-3:30pm
Spring Picture Day
Thursday, March 4th, 9am-3:30pm
Remote Only Student Picture Day is Currently Being Arranged!
Resources & Tools to Support Your Learner
*Tips for Helping Your Learner Thrive
Reading Connection Resources (Primary)
- Hooray for Wordplay:
- Reading Activity Calendar [Beginning Edition]:
- Tips for Reading Success [Beginning Edition]:
Keeping Your Learner Healthy
A Focus on Wellness
Making Social Emotional Wellness a Priority
Resources for Supporting Children’s Emotional Well-being during the COVID-19 Pandemic
Children’s responses to stressful events are unique and varied. Some children may be irritable or clingy, and some may regress, demand extra attention, or have difficulty with self-care, sleeping, and eating. New and challenging behaviors are natural responses, and adults can help by showing empathy and patience and by calmly setting limits when needed. Click on this link: https://youtu.be/vBdtb883nbA
to find more information for recommendations to support and protect children's emotional well-being during the pandemic.
Student Health 101:
Leading the Way
Leader in Me Connections
February’s Habit of Focus- Seek First to Understand and then to be Understood
- Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood® is the habit of listening to other people’s ideas and feelings. It’s trying to see things from their viewpoints. I listen to others without interrupting. It’s about being confident in voicing your ideas. It’s about looking people in the eyes when speaking.
- Habit 5 is a timeless principle we all strive to teach our kids; it teaches them to be confident when speaking to others while also teaching them the importance of listening to others when they are speaking.
- Habit 5 is about communication. The best way to teach someone how to communicate is by practicing it with them.
Click this button to watch a video on strategies to seek first to understand and then to be understood.
Strategies to Support Families
Click on the above link to access information on how to respect feelings without empowering fears.
Click on the above link to access Information about how to help yourself and your child(ren) by learning techniques to manage stress in a healthy way.
Click on the above link to access information and regarding how to support and monitor all children in the family when one of your children is in crisis.
Click on the button above to access contact information for our elementary school buildings
Cohocton Elementary School Building
- Wayland-Cohocton Preschool Programming
- Wayland-Cohocton Remote Learning Support (RLS) Center: Grades K-6