We Are Tamanend Together!
December 16, 2022
Student Council Hosts Holiday Spirit Week--Monday, December 19 through Thursday, December 22
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Holiday Spirit Week--Monday, December 19 through Thursday, December 22 (details above)
Deadline to Submit Freshman Baby Photos to Yearbook--Thursday, December 22 (details below)
Winter Break--Friday, December 23 to Monday, January 2
Program Planning Presentation for Current 9th Graders--Tuesday, January 3 (during school day) (details below)
CB South Curriculum Fair (for Current 9th Graders)--Thursday, January 5 at 6:30 PM (details below)
Kelly Anne Dolan Kick-Off--Friday, Janaury 13 (during school day)
Monday, December 19
- 7th Grade Girls Basketball @ Tohickon (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball vs. Newtown (Home; 3:15)
Tuesday, December 20
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball @ Lenape (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
- Wrestling @ Newtown (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 1:15
Wednesday, December 21
- No contests
Thursday, December 22
- No contests
Friday, December 23
- No school
- HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
- Family ID opened for Winter sports registration on October 1st. This includes girls basketball, wrestling, and boys basketball. All 7th and 8th grade students interested in playing a Winter sport for Tamanend this year must be registered on the Family ID web site. Please click HERE for detailed information, deadlines, and requirements.
- The deadline for BOYS BASKETBALL registration is 8:00am on Thursday, January 5th. If your child is not registered by those times, you will not receive important concussion information that will only be sent to those who are registered.
- All student-athletes must have completed PIAA physicals (if playing their first sport of the school year) OR PIAA Recertification (if they played a Fall sport) uploaded to Family ID prior to the start of the Winter sports season. The PIAA physical forms can be found HERE. The PIAA Recertification form can be found HERE. Additional items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page.
- Tryouts/Practices will begin on the following dates:
- Boys Basketball: January 9th
· Please see below for CB South ice hockey information.
· If you and would like to receive immediate updates on game schedules, cancellations, etc., visit Tamanend Athletics web page and become a “fan” to get alerts for your child’s team.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- ATTENTION ALL 9TH THROUGH 12TH GRADE GIRLS INTERESTED IN TRYING OUT FOR CB SOUTH SOFTBALL IN SPRING 2023: There will be a meeting to discuss the Spring Training trip planned for March 2023 on Tuesday, December 20, at 6:30 pm in the Forum Room at CB South. Details regarding the trip will be discussed and distributed so it is important for parents AND players to attend. Please email Coach Rosini with any questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- All students attending games at CB South from now on must present their student ID when purchasing tickets/entering gates. Students will not be sold tickets or allowed inside the gates without their IDs.
- Please see below for CB South ice hockey information.
Reminder--A Message For Fans Attending CB South Athletic Contests
We hope that everyone will continue to support our athletic teams during the fall season. CB South prides itself on good sportsmanship on the part of players and fans alike. Please keep the following in mind as you cheer for our teams this season:
- Middle school aged students must be accompanied by a parent.
- The use of profanity and vulgarity is unacceptable at athletic events. Please do not engage in inappropriate or demeaning chants during games. Students who do not comply with this expectation will be ejected from the games and will face disciplinary consequences. Let’s focus on supporting our team, not degrading the opposing school.
- Entering/Rushing the athletes’ area of play is prohibited and dangerous to security, teachers, spectators, and the athletes.
- Students are not permitted to bring purses, draw string bags, backpacks, food, or beverages to any athletic event in the Fall season.
- Students are prohibited from trespassing on the property of any school in the Central Bucks School District or on any property in any other school district. Damaging school property or engaging in any other activity that inconveniences the other school’s staff is strictly prohibited and will be considered vandalism, resulting in disciplinary and legal consequences. Please do not jeopardize your good standing by engaging in this type of unacceptable behavior.
- All Central Bucks School District and Central Bucks High School South’s polices apply to students at athletic events. Please be advised that coming to an athletic event under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance is not only extremely dangerous, but also violates School Board Policy 227. If a student chooses to attend a CB South athletic event while under the influence, law enforcement will be notified and a 5-day suspension will be imposed.
CB South’s Administration respectfully requests that parents monitor their child’s whereabouts and actions before athletic events at CB South. Please be aware of your child’s plans before the event, how they will safely get to the event, and how they will safely arrive home from the event.
We hope that you continue to show your enthusiasm and school spirit as we enter the fall athletic season. The Faculty and Administration at CB South has always considered your ability to support our teams in a positive and respectful manner as one of our key points of pride. Please join your classmates in continuing this proud tradition.
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Student Council Clash of the Coins is December 21
We would like to remind you that we are hosting our first ever Resource Penny Wars. We are renaming the event “Resource Clash of Coins!” The contest is simple… please remember to bring in as many coins as possible to your Resource class by next Wednesday, December 21st. During resource next Wednesday, you will be competing against other resources for a chance to win a pizza party prize!
UPCOMING TIGER'S I ENCHRICHMENT ACTIVITIES
Strategic Games Tiger’s i Enrichment Group
UPCOMING DISTRICT AND COMMUNITY EVENTS
Reminder--FEAST--Feeding Everyone at Special Times
Do you know a person or a family that could use a free meal? Meals are provided for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and occasionally some non-holidays. All meals must be picked up at Saint Robert Bellarmine’s hall, 856 Euclid Ave in Warrington on the designated day. Click here to fill out the request form.
UPCOMING HOLIDAY MEALS:
Wednesday, November 23, 2022
PICKUP 2-6 PM
Friday, December 23, 2022
PICKUP 2-6 PM
Program Planning Timeline for 2023-2024 School Year
Program Planning for the 2023-2024 school year is underway. Program Planning is the process by which students, parents, teachers, and school counselors collaborate to create each student's class schedule for the subsequent school year. The Central Bucks Program of Studies, which explains the program planning process and describes all courses, can be found on the CBSD website as per the dates listed below. Please find a list of important dates below related to program planning:
- Tuesday, January 3--Program Planning assembly for current 9th Graders during Tiger's i (snow date is January 4)
- Thursday, January 5--CB South Curriculum Fair for current 9th Graders at CB South at 6:30 PM
- Thursday, January 19 through Sunday, February 5--Current 9th Grade students enter course requests in Portal
- Monday, January 30--Program Planning assembly for current 8th Graders during Tiger's i (snow date is February 1)
- Tuesday, January 31--Program Planning assembly for current 7th Graders during Tiger's i (snow date is February 2)
- Wednesday, February 1--Administrators and counselors guide current 8th Graders through choosing electives in Portal during Resource (snow date is February 2)
- Friday, February 10--Course verifications for current 7th Graders posted on Parent Portal
- Thursday, February 16--Electronic confirmation of course verifications for current 7th Graders due in Parent Portal
- Thursday, February 22--Course verifications for current 8th Graders posted on Parent Portal
- Tuesday, February 28--Electronic confirmation of course verifications for current 8th Graders due in Parent Portal
- Friday, March 17--Course verifications for current 9th Graders posted on Parent Portal
- Wednesday, March 29--Electronic confirmation of course verifications for current 9th Graders due in Parent Portal
Reminder--Freshman Baby Photos for Tamanend Yearbook (Deadline is Thursday, December 22)
The Tamanend Middle School yearbook advisors have opened a website to upload 9th Grade baby pictures for the 2022-2023 yearbook. We are inviting you to include a photo memento in your child’s school yearbook that he or she will have as a special reminder in their last year at Tamanend. Submitting your child’s baby picture is a great way to honor your child in the yearbook at this special time in their life. The cost is $5. If you would like to participate in this optional yearbook addition, please download the submission directions and order form here - Freshman Yearbook Baby Pics 2022. All picture submissions/uploads and payment must be received no later than Thursday December 22nd. Please know that yearbooks are unfortunately not free to 9th graders. If your child would like a yearbook in June, one must be ordered one the Jostens site, here. If you have questions, please contact Mrs. Gerth at email@example.com.
Reminder--Order Your Tamanend Yearbook
Reminder--Are You Interested in Volunteering at Tamanend?
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on volunteer in in a Central Bucks school during the 2022-2023 school year, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to be an approved volunteer in our school. Thank you!
Reminder--Need a New Backpack?
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Patti Hartz, Secretary email@example.com
Andrea Consoletti, Student Service Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org
CLICK HERE TO READ THE LATEST EDITION OF ROARING VOICES REVIEW (TAMANEND'S LITERARY MAGAZINE)
EARN YOUR STRIPES--TAMANEND'S SCHOOL-WIDE POSITIVE BEHAVIORAL SUPPORT SYSTEM
Tamanend Middle School empowers students to grow academically, socially and emotionally. Students, staff, and families work collaboratively to model the acronym ROAR.
Respect yourself, others, and property.
Own your behaviors.
We believe that a caring, positive school culture and learning environment foster respectful, thoughtful, appropriate, and kind citizens.
In order to operationalize our mission, Tamanend utilizes a school-wide positive behavioral intervention and support plan (SWPBIS). This plan helps us establish a social culture in which students expect and support appropriate behavior from one another— creating school environments that are socially predictable, consistent, safe, and positive. This helps to reduce problem behaviors that lead to office discipline referrals and suspensions, and to change perceptions of school safety.
This Week's ROAR Focus Area: Bus
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
FROM OUR STUDENT SERVICES DEPARTMENT
- CB South will be hosting their Curriculum Fair, a very important event for next year's 10th graders and parents/guardians to attend, will be held on Thursday, January 5 at 6:30 PM.
This year for program planning for our 9th Grade students, the high school counselors will continue to work closely with the middle schools to ensure that students are on the correct trajectory. To increase efficiency and effectiveness of doing so, we will be using the following plan:
- High school counselors will go to the middle school 9th grade program planning assembly to instruct students on what to do, expectations, etc.
- Students will then put in their course requests for electives and teachers will put in their recommendations for core academic classes.
- Once course requests are in, middle school and high school counselors will review all students’ requests/schedules in depth and will collaborate on meeting with students who have conflicts, questions, or who request a 1:1 meeting for more specific situations.
While the high school counselors are not meeting with every single student, they will be reviewing each students’ schedule in-depth and will work directly with students and families to problem solve if/when needs arise.
Paramount to the high school transition are relationships and connectedness. We will continue to plan and program for relationship building opportunities as your child transitions to high school, including the forthcoming program planning assembly with high school and middle school counselors, curriculum fair, Q&A with high school counselors during the Intervention and Enrichment time, and welcome days at the high schools. We will share more information about these exciting events soon. Please reach out to your child’s counselor for additional assistance and information as we work together to support this transition.
- MBIT’s Open House was held on Thursday, December 1st at 6:00. Please visit their website (www.mbit.org) to see all of the amazing programs that MBIT has to offer.
- Please see below for a Strengthening Families program beginning on January 19th. Program outcomes can be seen on the website, here. Click here to see a short video clip about the program. Click here to sign up to participate in the Strengthening Families Program 10-14 at Bensalem High School.
FROM OUR STUDENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (SAP)
Prevention Resources and Education for Parents
FROM OUR TECHNOLOGY & INNOVATION DEPARTMENT
Reminder--Creating a Parent Canvas Account
If Your Child's Laptop Screen Breaks
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Universal Free Breakfast Now Available at Tamanend
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
Reminder--Consent to Use Free/Reduced Lunch Status (Information Sharing)
CBSD is currently accepting applications for Free & Reduced Lunch. Students who qualify for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program may also qualify for a variety of needs-based assistance based on their program eligibility. Federal law requires the family’s consent before Central Bucks School District can use or share eligibility status for purposes other than the provision of free or reduced lunch. This information will only be shared if you consent to help provide needs-based assistance to your student that may be beneficial to your family. Your decision to share or not share this information will not in any way affect your eligibility status for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program; it is completely optional.
If your student(s) qualifies for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program, you will receive a notification of a document that needs your attention in the Parent Portal. The Free/Reduced Lunch Information Sharing Consent Form requests permission to use the eligibility status to qualify for various needs-based assistance and programming. You may consent for all areas listed below, decline consent to all areas, or provide partial consent. See the link below for instructions to complete this consent form.
Best wishes for a wonderful start to the school year.
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Middle School Physical Education Attire
Students are not required to purchase a CBSD issued physical education uniform; however, students will be required to change into athletic attire and sneakers to participate safely and practice good hygiene. Student attire must adhere to the dress code guidelines presented in the student handbook. CB locks will still be required to purchase to ensure personal items are secured in a locker. Locks are available for purchase on MyPaymentsPlus.
Parent Drop-Off/Pick-Up & Parking Lot Safety
If parents/guardians decide to drive students to school, please plan enough travel time to allow for safety and congestion on Stuckert Road and in our school parking lot. The speed limit in our lot is 15 mph.
Below is a map of how the student drop-off will work in our parking lot. Drop off should only happen along the sidewalk in the front parking lot up to the Main Entrance, as indicated by the yellow highlighted area on the map. For your safety and the safety of our students, please follow these directions and do not drop your student off on Stuckert Road, the Visitor's Parking area, or in the middle of the Main Parking Area.
When dropping off your child, please remember that you should MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO/OUT OF THE PARKING LOT. Please stay to the right of the parking lot, along the sidewalk, all the way up to the Stop Sign across from the Tennis Courts. Pull up as far as you can when the cars in front of you clear, and let your child out on the sidewalk. PLEASE STAY IN A SINGLE-FILE LINE WHILE IN THE PARKING LOT.
When picking up your child, please remember that YOU SHOULD ONLY MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO THE PARKING LOT. The line of traffic will extend back toward the baseball field (Kelly Rd.). Please stay in the line of traffic and continue moving up as the car(s) in front of you move up. If we follow this procedure, all cars we be gone by 2:40.
Morning Car Line
When the weather is poor (heavy rain, low temperatures, etc.), more and more parents/guardians choose to drive their children to school. A reminder that students are expected to be in their 1st Period classes by 7:30 AM. If a child is late to school because of CBSD transportation, their tardiness will be excused. If a student is late to school because of car trouble, over-sleeping, or they are in the car drop-off line, their tardiness is unexcused. Typically, there are few cars in the drop off line from when the doors open at 7:10 until about 7:20. After 7:20, the line begins to get very long.
If you drive your child to school and the weather is poor, please consider leaving home earlier so that your child arrives to class on time.
Thanks for your assistance!
Regular School Hours
7:10: Students may be dropped off at Tamanend.
7:10--7:20*: 7th Graders wait in the Auditorium; 8th Graders wait in the Cafeteria; 9th Graders wait in Main Gym
7:20: Classrooms open to students
7:27: Reminder bell rings
7:30: First period classes begin
*Breakfast is available to students in all grades beginning at 7:10 in the Cafeteria.
Middle School Bell Schedule
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
Tamanend is committed to ensuring that every child has a positive experience at our school. We work hard to ensure that we have financial supports in place for families in need. Please be aware that we can help with the following resources:
- Food--pantry with healthy snacks and personal care items available all day outside of Guidance; meals to take home (students and/or parents and guardians can contact Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office or Mrs. Myrtetus in the Health Office); weekend food packages to take home (students and/or parents and guardians can contact Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office or Mrs. Myrtetus in the Health Office)
- Internet access
- Field trips, school supplies, fees
- Holiday gifts
If your family experiences a financial hardship, please feel free to email one of the staff members below so that we may help:
Brian Caughie (Principal) email@example.com
Kyle Dudley (Assistant Principal) firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus (Certified School Nurse) email@example.com
Jeff Klein (Guidance Counselor and Athletic Director) firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann (Guidance Counselor) email@example.com
Andrea Consoletti (Guidance Secretary) firstname.lastname@example.org
The CB Farmers Market at Barclay is Every Second and Fourth Thursday of the Month
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (Posted each school day morning on our website and in Canvas. Look for the “Tamanend Announcements” course. Students will self-enroll in this course during the first week of school.
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, Jan. 19th 2023 at 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.