Helpful Information for our Hotshot Families
Our CORE Values:
Integrity, Collaboration, Engagement, and WONDER
Friendly, Integrity, Respectful, Empathy
Our Mission:To provide learning experiences inspired by the environment and the culture of Northern Arizona.
PTO Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking for families to participate and join PTO. We have openings for all board positions and are looking for leadership to support all our Hotshots this school year. We invite all families to the information night on August 24th to learn more! If you would like to make sure to be a part of this amazing team email Mrs. Herman at email@example.com.
This year, PTO will meet and afterward there will be grade level presentations and team time to meet with families. The first hour will be PTO with grade level presenting afterward. Below are the meeting times and the grade levels presenting.
Meeting Time : 5:30 - 6:30 in the library
Grade Level Team Time: 6:30 - 7:15
Child care and pizza provided.
August 24 - Information Night
September 7 - Kindergarten and First
October 5 - Second and Third
November 2 - Fourth and Fifth
November 30 (December Meeting)
January 11 - Kindergarten and First
February 8 - Second and Third
March PTO Table on the 6th Evening Event
April 4 - Fourth and Fifth - Last Meeting
May 2 - Board Meeting Only
What is a Hotshot?
Hotshot crews were first established in Southern California in the late 1940s.They were called“Hotshot” crews because they worked on the hottest part of wildfires. These are highly skilled hand crews that mobilize all over the country to keep communities safe.
In Flagstaff, we have been grateful to have these highly skilled fire fighters come to the aide of our community. We have changed our mascot to honor this diverse group of men and women who work to protect our lands and communities. Like these crews, we want our students to become stewards of the land, while having the skills to thrive in the communities they live.
Beginning of School8:40 Students Can be Dropped Off for Breakfast
9:00 School Begins
9:05 Late Bell
After School Dismissal
3:30 End of School
Student Drop Off and Pick Up
Student Drop-Off and Pick-up are in the same location- the north parking lot- located inside the north entrance to Kinsey School. Students cannot be dropped off at the front entrance, which is the Bus Entrance Area between 8:40 am and 9:15 am, or picked up at this area between 3:00 pm and 4:00pm, or on Friday dismissal time of 12:15 pm and 1:15 pm. This is in accordance with AZ State regulations regarding School Bus areas. FACTS students may be picked up or dropped off here outside of these times.
- School is released at 3:30 pm, Monday-Thursday, 12:45 pm on Fridays.
- Drivers enter the north parking lot and proceed in a single lane and follow a“U” route through the north lot.
- Families will be given a number. This number is used to call all your students to the pick-up area.
- All vehicles must follow the single lane route during the pick-up times. Give your family number to the staff member on duty.
- Children will be notified their family has arrived by their pick-up number. Students get ready for their ride to reach the pick-up zone.
- Children will be escorted to the vehicle by the Kinsey staff member on duty inside the pick up zone.
- In order to keep the flow of traffic moving, exit the north lot right turn only onto Lone Tree Rd.
- Please remain in your car and drive through the parking area to pick up your student at the door.
- Do not park and come in to pick up your student. Parking and backing out of a space inhibits traffic flow and causes a safety issue.
- If a child is not picked up by 3:45 (Monday-Thursday), or 1:00 (Friday), they will be escorted to the office by the staff member on duty. There is no supervision of students after school unless they are a part of the 21st Century program or FACTS. School staff do not supervise after 3:45 M-Th or 1:00 Friday.
- The bus loading zone is located on the east side of the school in front of the main entrance. Do not use the bus loading zone for drop-off or pick-up. All visitors entering the building, including parents and guardians, must sign in at the office and obtain a visitor’s pass. 24 hour approval is needed before visiting a classroom.
Your full cooperation will help create the safe environment we all want for our Kinsey Hotshots.
Change in Going-Home Routine
FUSD Handbook: If there is any change in the going-home routine (e.g. someone different picking up a child) parents need to notify the teacher(s) and office in writing. Students must make social arrangement from home in advance, use of classroom/office telephones is limited to school business.
Student Safety Update
PTO and Site Council
The Kinsey PTO provides support to the families, staff, and students of Kinsey. Meetings are the first Thursday of the month at 5:30 in the library. You can email the PTO here for more information.
Update!! Healthy Snacks
More information about Smart Snacks can be found online at http://www.azed.gov/health-nutrition/the-arizona-nutrition-standards-and-competitive-foods/
School attendance is mandatory by law. Students may be excused for the following reasons: Medical provider excuse, death in the family, family emergency, religious commitment, diagnostic testing, school-sponsored activities, and extenuating circumstances or parental petitioned vacations agreed to by the school administration. Extended absences due to medical conditions must be reported to the school nurse at the student’s home school. Unexcused absences must be reported as required by state law. In the interest of your child’s health and safety, it is important that we have up to date information about: • Parent/guardian’s name, home address and a working telephone/cell number. • The school office must have at least one working phone number on-file at all times along with the name and phone of at least one additional adult person who we can contact in case of emergency.
Kinsey Absence Reporting Line: 928-773-4069
Things to Know About Attendance - IT MATTERS!
- We need your help getting your student to school
- Elementary attendance patterns can follow students into high school - Chronic absences (10 or more in a year) is the first warning sign of an increased risk of dropping out.
- Too many absences lead to a higher risk for falling considerably behind their peers.
- The more they are at school the more they will learn!
- If your child is having trouble with wanting to come to school, please let your child's teacher or office know right away so we can help!
Snow-Day and Snow-Delay Info
On the Delayed-Start Schedule, all schools start 2 hours later than normal. School buses run 2 hours later than normal. Preschool classes will be cancelled when delayed start is in effect. Afternoon dismissal times and school bus return schedules do not change. Delayed start schedules on Early Release days will cancel early dismissal.
Delayed-start or cancellation of school can be found several ways: It will be announced on a local radio station, FUSD website (click on Snow Schedule) at www.fusd1.org, call the FUSD recording at 527-6012 or check Facebook.com/FUSD. A ConnectEd, automated phone call will be sent out to all parents at approximately 6:00 am each day a delayed start or cancellation of school is implemented. FUSD District Office may cancel school the evening prior to next school day if Flagstaff is experiencing blizzard conditions for all students safety.
- Drop off begins at 8:40 and Pick up at 3:30 M-Th or 12:45 on Friday
- Keep the office informed with changes to phone and contact info
- Attendance matters GREATLY! The more they are at school the more they will learn. Too many absences lead to a higher risk for falling considerably behind their peers and habits formed increase the chance of dropping out of school later.