Three S.T.E.M construction challenges
- We created a cardboard chair using only cardboard.
- It had to hold a 120 pound person for 90 seconds.
- The width had to be 18 inches wide.
- The depth of the chair had to be 18 inches deep.
- The length had to be 30 inches tall.
- If we redo this challenge i would like to use more materials than just cardboard, so we could have more design options to build the chair.
The Penny Boat
- We had to crate a boat using only aluminum foil and Popsicle sticks.
- The boat had to be 6 inch in length by 3 inches in width.
- We could only use up to 10 Popsicle sticks and the amount of aluminum foil our teacher gave us.
- Once we were done building our boat we put our boat in water and start putting pennies on it to see how many it would hold before it sunk.
- If we redo this challenge I would like to be more gentle with the aluminum foil so, it would be less likely to reap or tear, which would makes it harder for water to get into the boat.
- To build our bridge we could only use up to 22 index cards.
- The length of the bridge had to be at lease a 6 inch span with no support throughout the 6 inches.
- Once we had finished our bridge we had to put as many pennies as we could on the bridge before it collapsed.
- If we could redo this challenge I would want to be able to use tape or glue to strengthen the bridge and make it hold together better.
- Civil Engineers are professional engineers that deal with the design and construction including works like roads, bridges, canals, dams, and buildings. Many civil engineers work in research and education as well. Civil engineers work on complex projects, so they usually specialize in one of several ares.
- Civil Engineers might would work with other engineers like environmental, mechanical, and electrical engineers.
- Civil Engineers are required a bachelor's degree from an accredited program. Some people may look for people with degrees.
The Group and Learning Exprience
- Working in group can support and hinder you in many ways. One way working in a group can support you is that you can put each idea together to make the best idea. One way working in group can hinder you is when your friends are in your group and all you want to do is cut up and play.
- My most meaningful learning experience this nine weeks was learning to work in a group to build the cardboard chair. It taught me that your first idea isn't always your best idea, and that some people's ideas are better than yours no matter what you think.