SG R-II Family Connection
Parents & Guardians
Good afternoon, SG R-II Family:
I hope that you have been enjoying the outdoors a bit as the snow has melted and warmer weather is on the way! We wanted to share some quick updates with all of you, and one I especially want to highlight is the refresh of our Facilities Committee this past week. We are excited to jump back into the research and planning process, with an end goal of crafting a Long-Range Facilities Plan for our district! Check out the recap below of our work so far, with an update for next steps.
This weekend, I hope you have the chance to enjoy the sunshine, and remember—Easter Break is just around the corner!
Dr. Julie Flieg
Our Ste. Genevieve County R-II facilities planning has hit “refresh” and is back on track! The District Level Facilities Committee met this past Thursday, March 18, 2021, to launch their part in prioritizing facility decisions for our students, faculty, staff and community.
Since it has been a while, here is a quick recap:
- Beginning in the 2019-2020 school year, our Facilities Committee launched with seven subcommittees: one for each building, one for athletics, one for Early Childhood, and a district level committee.
- The purpose of this committee is to create a fluid framework of facilities development for existing areas and future projects in order to maintain high-quality educational spaces and provide facilities that offer innovative and equitable opportunities for all students.
- With membership including faculty and staff, students, families, administration and community members, more than 100 of our Ste. Genevieve R-II family have a hand in the direction of this committee and its research and findings!
- In the early spring of 2020, the subcommittees assessed their respective areas and crafted a list of priorities to submit to the district level subcommittee.
- At Thursday’s meeting, the district level committee was given these priority lists, which also included needs identified from the food service, technology and maintenance departments.
- This district level committee will research and craft recommendations from March through July 2021 in order to develop a District Long Range Facility Master Plan, which will be presented to the Board of Education at the Oct. 19, 2021 regularly scheduled meeting.
- We will keep our SG family informed of the group’s progress over the next several months!
- Ste. Genevieve Elementary Kindergarten Registration was held March 6, 2021.
- Bloomsdale Elementary Kindergarten Registration will be on March 27, 2021, starting at 8 a.m. Any parents with a child who will be 5 years old by Aug. 1, 2021, who have not registered their child for the 2021-2022 school year, should contact Bloomsdale Elementary to schedule appointments. Social distancing measures will be in place, and a sanitation station will be available. In order to help with social distancing and to limit the number of people in the building, appointments will be limited to one adult and the student. Please try to make other childcare arrangements for siblings. For more information, please see this flyer.
Board of Education
- Annual School Board Election: The annual school board election will be held on April 6, 2021. The filing period closed Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2021, at 5 p.m. Five candidates are running for two positions: Geralyn (Geri) Diesel, David M. Bova, Lawrence Anthony Pfaff, Jr., Jamie Naeger Ballew, and Josh Carlisle. Dr. Flieg encouraged everyone to remember to vote on April 6, 2021. We received four Board of Education Candidate Questionnaires, which you can check out here!
- Board Briefs: We have launched a new monthly document summarizing our Board of Education meetings—Board Briefs! This unofficial document includes more context and details than our official Board News (which we will continue to create, as well). See the March 16, 2021 edition of Board Briefs here. Also, all Board documents, such as the Board News, the presentation and these Board Briefs, are located on the “Board of Education” page of our district's website.