Self-Paced Professional Development Course
What is NBC Learn?
How can I use it to enhance & transform my classroom?
- Supplement a topic in social studies with real footage
- Provide students with historical evidence when studying literature
- Relate Math and other topics such as Football
- Allow students to use news footage as a research resource
- Great to use as an introduction to new material (relevance)
- Perfect to summarize at the end of class
- Excellent starter to classroom discussion and debates.
- As a bell-ringer activity
- For current events activities
- Watch prior to a related writing prompt.
- RELEVANCE: “A picture can only reveal so much. But for my students to see people weep or journalists terrified, it shows them the world is more alive than you think it is. By seeing action they are able to retain the information longer. Kids will come back to me and say they were able to talk to their mom while she watching the news because we had discussed a certain topic. It engages kids to have discussions with their parents because they aren’t intimidated by a subject.”
- OWNERSHIP: “I gave the students a category on a worksheet, essentially a blank canvas, and had each student go off and get lost in the topic on NBC Learn. After 30-45 minutes they explained what they’d found on the topic and how it related to what we had discussed. This ‘flips the script’ and makes them the presenters on the topic instead of me. Instead of me saying, ‘OK, we’re done. Now why does this matter?’ they discovered the real life significance for themselves."
- Subscriber Spotlight: Jon Carl "I challenge my students to be history detectives."
- Subscriber Spotlight: Melanie Beaver "Creating Lesson With Impact."
- Subscriber Spotlight: Amy Kerney "Students always want more NBC Learn!"
Things to Read and Watch
If you are an Indiana Educator, the IDOE has purchased NBC Learn access for you. Click the link below and follow directions for creating your account paid for by the Indiana Department of Education. HUGE thanks to Candice Dodson, Jason Bailey and anyone else in the office of eLearning that has made this available to Indiana teachers.
If you are not an Indiana teacher, check with your state's department of education to see if NBC Learn content is provided for you. If not, click here for more information about NBC Learn K-12 school subscriptions.
To access NBC Learn:
- Navigate to http://indiana.nbclearn.com from school
- Click on “Click Here to Access NBC Learn K-12"
- Click on "Register Now" in the upper right corner.
- Scroll down to your district.
- Choose your role.
- Complete the remaining steps below.
Helpful Links & Info