Truman Family News
September 16, 2022
Open House is Sept 22, 6:00 - 7:30 PM
Career Academy and Open Doors
6:00 - 7:30 PM in person
- Meet in the cafeteria
- After Principal welcome, visit your scholar's classrooms and teachers
- See scholars' "Who Am I?" projects on display
We are eager to meet you!
6:00 - 7:30 PM on zoom
- Go to Canvas Homeroom or Advisory class tile
- Open zoom link posted there for Open House
- Principal welcome, then homeroom teacher (K-5) or advisor (6-12) will share the grade level expectations and learning for the year
- Families with scholars in grades 6-12 can visit all of their teachers by going to their Canvas course and clicking the link for Open House
- Teachers will explain the course expectations and learning goals for the year
We are eager to meet you!
Attendance & Participation = More Learning!
- Attend daily 8:00 - 2:30
- 20 days of absences in a row, excused OR unexcused, results in withdrawal (state law)
- For long absences that you know about in advance, you must complete the "pre-arranged absence" paperwork before your scholar is absent
- Participation Matters! Class is conducted on Canvas and on Zoom
- Attendance is taken weekly through a "Weekly Academic Contact" quiz, which your scholar must complete weekly
- Scholars are expected to study 5-6 hours per day or 27.75 hours per week. Most of their learning is via Canvas lessons.
- Scholars are expected to join and participate in live Zoom Homeroom/Advisory and live Zoom class.
- Scholars have 3 hours of lessons on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
- Scholars who attend daily learn more and progress to graduation more quickly
- Wednesdays are drop-in days for one-on-one meetings with the Advisor
Truman Campus Safety
Safety is my first priority. We will partner with parents and families to ensure scholars are safe. Please speak with your scholars regarding these safety rules:
- The doors to Truman are locked. Please be patient as office staff will answer the door and ask your purpose for visiting.
- Visitors are to sign in and sign out, and wear a visitor badge.
- We are a closed campus for lunch. Breakfast and lunch are free to all scholars.
- Scholars may not leave campus and return on the same day. An exception is internship days (Tuesdays and Thursdays).
- Scholars may not go to their car and hang out or eat and then come back into school.
- If scholars need to leave early for a pre-arranged appointment, they are to sign out for the day.
- We are a drug and weapon-free campus - this includes the parking lot area.
Rights & Responsibilities
We look forward to your partnership this year to promote a safe learning environment. As a reminder, here is a copy of our Rights and Responsibilities handbook to review with your scholar to help promote the safety and well-being of our community: https://www.fwps.org/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=20116&dataid=247494&FileName=RR%202022-23.ENGweb.pdf
The handbook is also available for download in our top 7 languages at https://www.fwps.org/Page/2123
You can also view our Rights and Responsibilities video using this link: https://vimeo.com/734518462/e696a5634d