Patrick Marsh Middle School Band
This Week In Band (Oct 7-11, 2019)
Exciting Week Ahead
We have a busy but exciting week ahead! You can read more about it below, but here's a snapshot:
1) Fall Band Concert is this Tuesday. Please read all of the details so you know what, when and how things will happen.
2) 7th Grade Band Trip to UWEC is this Thursday.
3) 7th Grade ComMission Possible Projects are Due Friday on Infinite Campus.
4) Join our "Remind" account to get text messages from us. We will use this to update you on arrival times, cancellations, and important information. More information below!
5) We are thrilled to welcome Rebecca Rush to our music team. Mrs. Rush will be teaching band lessons with us on Mondays and Tuesdays. Read more about her below!
Join our "Remind" account!
We will start using the "Remind" account to text important information to you. We do not intend to use this often but wanted to have a way to get you information quickly in the event of a changed schedule, cancellation or other important information. To join is simple! Just click on the appropriate link for your child's grade level:
7th Grade Band: https://www.remind.com/join/67c422
6th Grade Band: https://www.remind.com/join/fkdbkd9
7th UWEC Trip Update
UWEC 7th Band Trip Update:
1) Please be sure to pay the $15 trip fee if you haven't done so already. You can do this online using the Infinite Campus Parent Portal or you can send $15 (check payable to "SPASD") to Mr. Gleason.
2) Students who wanted to bring their own lunch should be sure to bring it in a lunch bag marked with their name on Thursday morning. Those who requested a school lunch will get it when we arrive in Eau Claire.
3) We have enough chaperones for the trip. Many thanks to our nine chaperones!
4) 7th graders must wear their band uniform for the entire trip. Black band shirt, black pants, socks and shoes. Students should also bring a jacket as we will be outside watching the marching band.
5) Students will need some money for dinner on the way home. We will eat at the Oakwood Mall Food Court.
6) Wi-fi will be available on the bus (but it is not great). Phones and personal electronic devices will be allowed on the trip, however, the device is the student’s responsibility. Use of the device during our time on the UWEC campus is strictly prohibited. The only spending money needed on this trip is for the student’s dinner.
7) 7th grade tuba, euphonium and horn players will need to bring home instruments for the trip! All Instruments and music should be clearly labeled with the student’s name.
8) Absolutely no food or drink (other than water) is allowed on the bus. We have students with food allergies...thank you!
9) Oct 10 Itinerary
7:40 am - Students find seat on stage w/instrument and music.
7:45-8:45 am - Rehearsal on stage.
9:05 am - Depart Sun Prairie
11:45-12:15 - Lunch at Owen Park, Eau Claire (School Box Lunch or Student Sack Lunch)
12:30 pm - Arrive at Fine Arts/Bands warm-up
12:50 pm - Combined Band Clinic
2:00 pm - Symphony Band - Side by Side
3:15 pm - Sectionals
4:30 pm - Watch UWEC Marching Band Rehearsal
5:10 pm - Eat at Oakwood Mall Food Court
5:50 pm - Depart
8:30 pm - Arrive at PMMS (we will unload in back by door #9)
ComMission Possible Project Due Friday for 7th Graders
Very soon, composer Erika Svanoe will begin composing a brand new piece of music for our band! The piece will resemble a “choose your own adventure” story. The concept of the adventure is going to come from the students.
In “create your own adventure” stories YOU (or the audience) is the protagonist. In other words, you are the person on this journey and you make choices about how that journey will go. As Mrs. Svanoe wrote “The way I've wrapped my head around making the narrative work with the music, is to have the audience (you) visit 3-4 settings/locations, interacting with characters in those settings:
Theme: Medieval Fantasy
Plot: Someone has stolen the queen's crown and we need to find it.
Setting 1- Spooky Woods Character 1- Grumpy Wizard
Setting 2- Flowery Fields Character 2- Friendly Gnomes
Setting 3- Open Plains Character 3- Dancing Fairies
Setting 4- Magical Lake Character 4- Lady of the Lake
Conflict- Gurg the Giant stole the Queen's crown and won't give it back.
Resolution- You battle Gurg with a magical sword and regain the crown.
7th graders should get those creative juices going and submit their ideas using Google Classroom by Friday!
Welcome Mrs. Rush!
The Week Ahead
Tuesday, Oct 8 (Day 2) -FALL BAND CONCERT
Wednesday, Oct 9 (Day 1)
Thursday, Oct 10 (Day 2) - 7th Band Trip to UWEC
Friday, Oct 11 (Day 1) - ComMission Project Due
7th Grade Jazz Information
- 7th Grade Jazz is open to any instrument.
- Rehearsals are on Tue & Wed mornings from 7 am - 7:35 am in the PMMS Band Room
- A sign-up sheet will be located at the front of the band room this week.
- The first rehearsal will take place on Tuesday, Oct 15 for rhythm section members (piano, drum set, bass, and guitar).
- The first full rehearsal will take place on Wed, Oct 16.
- Performance dates can be found on our band calendar (link at bottom of newsletter) and will be share again when jazz begins.
October 8 - Fall Band Concert 6:30 PM (6th grade) 7:30 PM (7th Grade)
October 10 - 7th Grade Band Clinic at UW-Eau Claire
October 11 - 7th ComMission Possible Projects Due on Google Classroom
October 17 - Band Lesson Academy Begins 2:00-5:00 PM
Patrick Marsh Middle School Bands
Fall Concert FINAL Information!!
Date & Time:
Tuesday, October 8
6th Grade Bands
Arrival by 6:10 PM for warm-ups
Performance 6:30 PM-7:00 PM
7th Grade Bands
Arrival between 7:00-7:10 PM for warm-ups
Performance 7:30-8:00 PM
Location & Arrival: Our Fall Band Concert is at PMMS. Plan to arrive a bit early as the parking lots do fill up.
Concert Uniform: Black Patrick Marsh Band Shirt, Black Pants, Black Socks and Shoes. Shirts were handed out last week!
Home Instruments: 6th grade Tuba, & Euphonium players and 7th grade Horn players will need to bring their “home” instruments to the concert.
Concert Etiquette: Students and Parents/Guardians should remain for the entire concert if at all possible. Audience should be quiet during performance. Concerts are popular and consequently the audience sizes are large. Therefore, come early, sit towards the center, and be patient (and applaud loudly!!).
Concert On The Web: If you have family that cannot attend the concert tell them that the concert will appear on our YouTube channel the next day following the concert. Have them subscribe to our channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKh7tOgpXreb631vrtGBgCg
Student Attendance: Concerts are an extension of the band classroom and the learning that takes place every day and are therefore graded events. Music was created to be shared and not performed in isolation (or in the band room only). For this reason, we need to perform for an audience in order to share the wealth of learning that has taken place. This sharing helps the students to bring closure to the learning process and also propels them towards the next step in the journey. Student participation in concerts is vital to the success of all the students involved. Please make every effort to have your child be a part of these experiences. Sporting events/practices and other extracurricular activities are not acceptable reasons to miss a performance. If you have a reason to miss any performance, please contact your teacher as soon as possible prior to the concert date.