The Cobra Connection
The Sousa Middle School Family Newsletter | August 21, 2020
"Many hands make light work" (Tanzanian proverb).
I hope this finds you well-rested, healthy, and refueled.
Communication will be very important this school year. Please make sure we have all of your up to date contact information. We will continue to use our Instagram account to keep you informed about the great things going on at Sousa via @SousaSTEAMAcademy1954.
We are grateful for you! These are unprecedented times and we are grateful to have the opportunity to work in partnership with all of you. Remember: Together, we can do anything because we are #SousaStrong!
What is the Cobra Connection?
- DC Public Schools will be starting the 2020-21 School Year virtually. These videos (1) (2) explain what this means when we start school on August 31, 2020.
- Make sure you complete the tech survey if you need technology for distance learning.
- Check out the #ReOpenStrong website for updates on virtual/distance learning.
- Enroll in DCPS' Parent University sessions to receive additional guidance on what this school year will look like and the district's commitments.
- Make sure you enroll your child as soon as possible! You can receive on site support M-F from 9:00 AM- 4:00 PM!
- Check out DCPS' social media policy as we continue to use virtual learning for Term 1.
- To learn more about our acceptable technology usage policy, click here.
- Check out DCPS' grading policy for virtual learning here.
- To learn more about the attendance policy, click here.
Mark Your Calendars
AUGUST 22: Free School Supplies at Eastern High School from 10:00 AM-2:00 PM!
AUGUST 25: Virtual 7th Grade Orientation @ 5:00 PM
August 26: Virtual 6th Grade and New Student Orientation @ 5:30 PM
August 27: Virtual 8th Grade Orientation @ 5:30 PM
AUGUST 24-28th: Technology & Schedule Pick Up!
See Flyer Below.
Virtual Learning Tips & Tricks
- Create a learning space for your child that is quiet and free of clutter.
- Make sure they have a strong routine and that they stick to that schedule to maximize their instructional time.
- Feel free to reach out to your child's teachers if your child needs additional support.
- Monitor your child's usage of social media regularly.
- Attend Canvas 101 session to help you learn how to use Canvas. Click here to register.
Please do not hesitate to reach out! We are in this together!
Dean Clavis, Dean of Students
Ms. Scott, Director, STEAM Academy
Ms. Coan, Manager, Strategy & Logistics