Volume 1, Issue 23: March 2, 2018
Please read through the newsletter and let me know if you have any questions!
We have STEM Career Day this afternoon...I'll send some pictures out later today so you can see what it was like! :)
-Ms. Kate Martin
Pictures of the Week
The groups analyze poetry together!
Scarcity of Resources
Blair and Sarah determine the flow of resources in our economy.
Luca and Aly discuss!
Writing & Reading: We are finishing our poetry unit. The students completed a poetry anthology and did a fantastic job analyzing poems.
Math: Purple: Started geometry unit! Blue: Finished our first chapter of fractions. Orange: We finished our multiplication and division of fractions unit.
Social Studies: We continued our government unit! We are learning economics by having a class economy!
Enrichment: Students are working on their 4th Enrichment projects.
Looking Forward to Next Week
- Math: Purple: Continuing geometry unit. Blue: Starting a fraction unit for advanced learners. (Project M3) Orange: We will begin our next unit on algebraic expressions, equations and word problems.
- Reading/Writing: We will be starting a themed reading unit for advanced learners titled "Exploration" next week. (The College of William and Mary)
- Social Studies: We will continue our unit on the government. We will culminate our unit with a "Business Town Day" in class on 3/13.
- Enrichment: We will finish and present our 4th Enrichment Projects.
Enrollment Survey Letter
March is Reading Month!
"Reading Takes You Out of This World!"
March 16th: "Lucky" to Be a Reader!... Wear green and any St. Patrick's day accessories to show how lucky we are to be readers at Woodland!
March 23rd: "Out of This World Words"....wear (on a sticker) a challenging word. Impress your classmates and teachers with your knowledge of the word!
March 29th: All Star Reader Day...Wear your favorite sports jersey.
Mystery Reader Days
This spot can be filled by a parent, grandparent, family friend....anyone with a connection to our classroom! The Mystery Reader can bring in a favorite short book/story that can be read in 15 minutes, or a novel that you can do a "book talk" on and have a class discussion with the students.
Shhh! It's a mystery! Don't tell your child when you're coming in! The mystery reader also has the option to send me 3 clues I can give the students the morning of your scheduled date!
Please use this Sign Up Genius link to sign up!
Self-Reflective Learning: Keeping a Positive Classroom Culture
This week we discussed keeping a positive culture. What we realized was:
-Keeping a positive attitude is hard when things don't go as planned.
-We should build each other up with encouragement and affirmations.
-Counter self-criticizing thoughts with as an opportunity to grow.
3 Compliment or Positive Comment/Day Challenge!
GT Open House for School of Choice & Tours
There are also opportunities for interested school of choice families to tour Woodland. The remaining dates and times are:
Tuesday, March 13 9:00-9:45
Thursday, March 15 1:30-2:15
Interested families should contact Hillary Olance at email@example.com. Feel free to share this information to interested contacts you may have!
EXCITING NEWS! Avondale Partners with MSU's GATE Program!
A late work policy will begin January 8th for my classroom. Students will receive -%5 off for each day any homework or project is turned in more than a day late. This means students will get a 1 day grace period. For example: If a project was due on Tuesday but was turned in on Thursday, it would be -5% off of the grade they earned. Keep in mind, absences a different situation. Students receive one day extra time for each day they are absent.
Lansing Field Trip
The Lansing Field Trip is scheduled for Friday, April 13. All 3/4 GT students will attend this field trip with the rest of the Woodland 4th graders.
We will be visiting the Impressions 5 Science Center in the morning and our Capitol Tours are in the afternoon. We will be leaving Lansing by 4pm.
More information and logistics to come.
-Independent Reading: Minimum 20 minutes
-Literature Circles: Reading and "job"
-www.learnzillion.com: Assignments on Google Classroom
-Daily math homework M-Th
- Please check your child's agenda nightly by initialing under "Parent Signature". I will also initial it in the morning to confirm they have written the correct information down.
- Friday Folders: They were sent home today! Please take out all the sheets and return the folder MONDAY.
- Bagel Sales! Pre-Order on Wednesdays of each week. All varieties cost $1, cash only. Bagels are delivered on Fridays.
- Order online at www.scholastic.com and use our class code R3CHK if you need books!
Content Relevant Videos
Upcoming Important Dates
3/8 1/2 Day
3/9 1/2 Day
3/12 Spring Picture Day
3/13 PTO Meeting @7pm
3/22 Parent Teacher Conferences by Appointment Only
3/24 Spring Fair 5-8pm
3/30 Good Friday - No School
4/2-4/6 Spring Break - No School
4/11 1/2 Day
4/12 School of Choice GT Open House 6-7:30pm at Woodland
4/13 Lansing Field Trip (All 4th Grade/GT Students)
5/11 1/2 Day
5/28 Memorial Day - No School
6/14 1/2 Day
6/15 1/2 Day - Last Day of School