School Counseling Update
Academic, Career, & Social Emotional Development resources
- How to talk with your Teen about Vaping- Vaping is a big issue with teenagers, and this resource gives good tips for parents on starting conversations with teenagers. (attached below)
- Camp Artism - program for Autistic artists age 12 & up, which offers executive experiences that champion mobility, creative arts careers related to the TV/Film industry, independent living, disaster preparedness, & phenomenal friendships.
- There are plenty of opportunities for Middle and High school students to get involved and meet students with similar interests other than their art majors. See the Club lists attached below.
- Dream Girls Conference - Community Event for middle and high school girls, parents, & youth leaders. Saturday, March 25. www.DreamGirlsUS.org
- The CCSD Virtual Calming Room has a page of Calming videos with sounds that can help anyone block out background noise while studying or working, produce a calming environment when stressed or anxious, or even having trouble going to sleep.
- Additional resources for families and students can be found on the SOA website. Family Resources Social/Emotional Resources
- January 31 - PreACT administration - All 10th graders will take the practice test for the ACT. "This provides a predicted ACT test score, & offers a wealth of information to help."
- NACAC Virtual College Fairs - Sunday, Feb 19, March 19, April 23 1-6pm (ET) Register online
- QuestBridge - College Prep Scholars Program application opens in February - program matching exceptional low-income students with the nation's best colleges. Webinar Feb 2
- Meeting Street Scholarship Fund - $10,000 annually! LIFE Scholarship or Palmetto Fellows eligible AND Pell Grant AND planning to attend an eligible SC College/University. $40,000 TOTAL!!! Details and FAQ VIDEO
- James F. Byrnes Foundation scholarship - Opportunity for high school seniors with a deceased parent. $4500 annually toward a 4 year bachelor's degree. Deadline February 1
- 10th, 11th, & 12th graders - BigFuture Scholarships
- There are over 30 scholarship opportunities listed on the SOA website, mostly for Seniors, but a few for underclassmen. This page is updated each week. https://www.ccsdschools.com/domain/1976
- Architecture & Construction Spring Career Camp for Middle Schoolers - Feb -June: 1st Saturday of each month, 9am-11am. ABC Carolinas in holding their Exploring Program this Spring. A great program for students to explore planning, design, & construction. Lots of great hands on projects. See flyer below.
- Opportunity for Service Hours - Craft & Canvas - for more information email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The CCSD Career & Technology website's Summer Career Exploration Opportunities page is up and running. It is already loaded with a plethora of opportunities for students of various ages to take advantage and explore career areas of interests, while building skills, meeting new people, making connections, and sometimes earning money.
- Charleston Youth Apprenticeship Program Info Session - The program is open to rising 11th graders, 12th grades, and 2023 Graduates. Saturday, February 4 - Doors open at 8:30am. Presentations at 9am and 10:15am - Trident Technical College (Main campus) Bldg 920
- Events and resources for Career Development available on the SOA website.
SOA School Counseling Department
The mission of Charleston County School of the Arts Counseling Department is to provide a comprehensive school counseling program that empowers all students while embracing their individual artistic differences. In partnership with administrators, teachers, parents, and key stakeholders, school counselors provide a continuum of support for academic achievement, career and personal/social development; simultaneously, preparing all students to compete in a global economy and make a positive contribution to our community.