WYHS Weekly Update
Summer 2020 Edition
Wishing everyone a safe and terrific summer break!
Summer Digital Academy!
It's not too late to sign up for summer school!
Did you fail a course this school year? Are you missing a PE or Health credit and planning to attend the career center next year? Are you going to be a senior next school year and still need to make up a failed course from a previous year?
These are just a few reasons to sign up for the FREE Summer Digital Academy program!
Dates: Monday, June 8, 2020 through Friday, July 3, 2020
Days: You may complete work virtually anytime, day or night
Office Hours: 8:30am-12:30pm, M-TH
Location: Students must work from home
Have summer school questions? Please email Ms. Bunsey (email@example.com)
Congratulations and Farewell to the Class of 2020! We will miss you!
Virtual Commencement Ceremony Saturday June 6th at 10AM
The Legend Scholarship, honoring Daniel Gartner
- To be considered for this award, you must have completed at least one sport your senior year at Whitehall-Yearling High School. We have made a special consideration for student athletes who participated in baseball, boys tennis, and track and field last year as juniors and planned to participate again this year. These student athletes may also apply for this scholarship.
- All applications are reviewed and the final decision is based on many factors that may include any one or all of the following:
Student’s Financial Need
Student’s Personal Statement (Essay)
1 Letter of Recommendation (From Coach, Teacher, academic mentor, community leader)
Amount: $500 each (awarded to two scholarship recipients)
Deadline: June 14, 2020
Mark Williams Memorial Scholarship
- All applications are reviewed and the final decision is based on many factors that may include any one or all of the following…
- Student’s Community Involvement
- Student’s Financial Need
- Student’s Personal Statement (Essay)
- Student’s Transcript (email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 1 Letter of Recommendation (From Coach, Teacher, academic mentor, community leader)
- Also, to be considered for this award you must have completed at least one sport your senior year at Whitehall-Yearling High School. We have made a special consideration for student athletes who participated in baseball, boys tennis, and track and field last year as juniors and planned to participate again this year. These student athletes may also apply for this scholarship.
Amount: $1,000 each (one male and one female scholarship recipient)
Deadline: June 14, 2020
Naviance Exit Surveys
Please be sure to complete your Junior Exit Surveys:
You can accomplish this VERY IMPORTANT task by following these instructions:
Go to the WCS Portal page HERE
Click on Naviance App (It will automatically sign you in via Clever)
Go to the About Me tab in the top right corner
Click on My Surveys
Click on Surveys Not Yet Started
Click on 2020 Junior Exit Survey and complete the survey
- Consider taking a summer school course to keep your skills sharp or to make up a credit that you may need for graduation.
- Begin to look for scholarship opportunities now. Here are a few great websites to help get your search started:
- Study for your ACT! Go to actstudent.org for free practice activities, as well as registration dates and deadlines for upcoming tests.
- Spend some time in Naviance to research careers, help narrow down your college choices, and explore test-prep options.
- Not planning to attend college or not yet sure? Go to Ohio Means Jobs (https://jobseeker.k-12.ohiomeansjobs.monster.com/seeker.aspx) and create an Online Backpack, take a career interest survey, build a budget to learn about living on your own, and much more!
City of Whitehall
From Columbus Public Libraries!
Check out https://cap4kids.org/columbus/ for a great deal of community services.
Food Resources - AVAILABILITY IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE: If you are in need of access to meals, some options are listed below.
Whitehall City Schools will continue to provide grab-and-go style meals for all Whitehall City Schools students. The pick up locations are at WYHS and Kae Avenue Elementary South from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM, Monday through Friday during the break through August 3rd. We will encourage students to take their meals and exit the property (this institution is an equal opportunity provider).
City of Columbus: Families in need can TEXT "FOOD" TO 877-877 and receive a text back with the address of summer feeding sites closest to them, or information about how to find their closest feeding site.TEXT "COMIDA" TO 877-877 to receive information about summer meals sites in Espanol.
Call 1-888-3-HUNGRY(486479) for information regarding sites providing meals as they become available.
HandsOn Central Ohio: 24-hour community resource center that can assist with food and other necessities (614-221-6766 OR 2-1-1)
Victory Ministries (614-252-2500): Currently no clothing boutique, no public entry to our building – but we are still providing food (delivering directly to cars). Please call for an appointment.
HEART Food Market (614-600-6065)
Bishop Griffin Resource Center-Food Pantry (614-338-8220)
Reynoldsburg Helping Hands-Food Pantry (614-868-9494)
St Philip the Apostle Church-Food Pantry (614-237-1671)
Corinthian Baptist Church-Food Pantry (614-237-8619)
St. Philip Episcopal Church-Food Pantry (614-253-2771)
Mutual Aid Central Ohio (Community assistance network): https://bit.ly/2W6zzNU
- Blessing Box Projects: A Blessing Box is a small, often homemade structure where people leave donated goods for others to pick up anonymously- https://www.facebook.com/ColumbusBlessingBox/
Community and Social-Emotional Resources
Summer Update: WYHS Counselors, Social Workers, and Advisors
Counselors, Social Workers, and College & Career Coordinator
Just a reminder that WYHS school counselors, social worker, and college & career coordinator will be unavailable during the summer break. They will return emails and messages when they return in August.
Mrs. Taylor, School Counselor, Last Names A-K - email@example.com
Ms. Thomas, School Counselor, Last Names L-Z- firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Wilson, College & Career Coord.- email@example.com
Ms. Miller, School Social Worker - firstname.lastname@example.org
I Know I Can Advisors (Virtual) Summer Availability:
I Know I Can College Advisors are available throughout the summer, M-TH, 8:00am-4:00pm
Mrs. Grasinger, email@example.com and via text message at 216-714-2482
Ms. Hines, firstname.lastname@example.org
Students in Crisis - AVAILABILITY IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE: If there is an emergency during the summer break, listed below are some resources that can be utilized by students who may be in crisis.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital Crisis Hotline (614-722-1800): Students 17 and under can call and speak with someone 24/7
Teen suicide hotline (614-294-3300): Teens and young adults can call 24/7
If a student feels unsafe and does not feel comfortable speaking on the phone, they can text HOME to 741741.
Domestic Violence Hotline: 614-224-HOME (4663)
Sexual Assault Hotline: 800-656-HOPE (4673)
Additional Teen Resources - AVAILABILITY SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Huckleberry House provides 24-hour emergency counseling and is a safe haven. It is located at 1421 Hamlet Street, Columbus, OH 43201 and can be reached at 614-294-5553. Please click this link for info on how they are serving the community during COVID-19: http://huckhouse.org/covid-19/
Star House is a drop-in center where homeless youth (14-24) can go for up to 12 hours a day to receive support. Due to COVID-19, as of March 30, Star House's drop-in center will be open for services between 7pm and 11am. It is located at 1220 Corrugated Way, Columbus, OH 43201 and can be reached at 614- 826-5868.
Kaleidoscope Youth Center -Kaleidoscope Youth Center provides FREE daily programming from 3:30pm - 7pm Monday-Thursday, and 3:30pm - 8pm Friday for youth ages 12-20.At 3pm, KYC is closed to anyone who is over 20 or under 12 years old. This includes parents, guardians, family, counselors, etc. Only KYC staff and volunteers with background checks are permitted. Please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!