Mrs. Hawker's Newsletter
December 5, 2014
What's Up in the Classroom
Writing - First persuasive essay paragraphs are done and we are adding on paragraph 2 and 3. Students are expected to state their opinion, support it with 3 reasons and 3 explanations for all 3 of the reasons.
Math - We've started our algebra unit. Students are learning to write equations with variables to help solve word problems. They are also learning to balance equations and the difference between equal and unequal equations.
Science - We are having a blast with our electricity unit! So far they've learned the meaning of a circuit and built one. They also learned about insulators and conductors and tested 15 various items to determine if they were insulators or conductors.
Here are some examples of each:
conductors: metal, tin, water, brass
insulators: glass, ceramic, wood
We have completed 9 lessons . These are listed in schoology. Students will be working on building their own flashlights. Their final test will be before winter break and it will consist of a written test and a t.v. commercial about their flashlight.
Spelling - Students are in new sort groups based on their last spelling inventory. They will be tested again in January and moved accordingly.
Testing MAP and BADGER 3-8
Notes From the Teacher
- The concert was excellent! Thank you to Ms. Duhaime for a preparing our students!
- Thank you to all who donated to the Giving Tree this week!
- Gently used or new books are still being collected by student council until December 10th.
- Friday December 12 is an early release.
- Friday December 12 is festive holiday dress day.
- December 23 is our last day of school for this year.
- No school December 24-January 4.
- School resumes Monday January 5.