January 30th - February 3rd
JANUARY - FEBRUARY AT A GLANCE
- January 31th - Weller Health Education presentation to Grade 2
- January 31st - JBES night Skyzone (SOLD OUT)
- Matey's Pizza Sale
- February 1st - PTA meeting 6:30pm in the library
- February 3rd - Report Card distribution
- February 16th - NOON dismissal
- February 17th - NO SCHOOL ~ Inservice
- February 19th - NO SCHOOL ~ President's Day
- February 24th - Family Bingo Night 6-8pm
End of Year field trips
Notification of dismissal changes and absences:
When your child must leave school early for an appointment or has a change in their dismissal arrangement, please send a physical note to school. If your child is absent from school, please send a physical note to school with them when they return.
While DOJO is a primary point of contact for teachers, they are not frequently checking it throughout the day because they are teaching. The physical note also helps with communication if there is a substitute in the room.
In the event of inclement weather, information will be available through Parent Link (automated phone call from district), BASD and JBES website, BASD App, Twitter (BASD, Mrs. Hinkel, JBES), and news stations.
Please review the "Elementary Weather-related..." document below. In the case of weather-related or emergency circumstances, the superintendent will announce one of the three options:
1. A Snow Day Closure (no school/no assignments of any type)
2. An Online Assignment Day (completely asynchronous assignments)
3. A Remote Learning Day (a blend of synchronous and asynchronous instruction)
Chromebooks are only to be used for educational purposes. Students SHOULD NOT be taking personal photos or videos with their chromebook. To avoid damage, chromebooks should not be used while on the bus.
Each time a child is absent from school the parents must send in a WRITTEN EXCUSE explaining the absence within 3 days. We appreciate the phone call giving us a "heads up" when a student is absent, but legally, we need a written excuse. Please make sure to include the date of absence in the note. In compliance with the Compulsory Attendance law, we will be issuing 3, 7, and 10 day attendance letters are mailed weekly.
As the weather changes, please make sure students are dressed appropriately to go outside for recess. We will take students outside in real feel temperatures above 32 degrees. Winter coats, gloves, and hat are recommended.
Lost and Found:
Our lost and found bin is overflowing. If your child is missing a jacket or sweatshirt, you are welcome to stop in after school and look through our lost and found bin.
Whenever possible, medical appointments should be made for the hours before or after school. To avoid entering the bus channel during arrival/dismissal, we ask that you drop your student off after 9:10am and pick up before 3:00pm.
Please reinforce appropriate bus conduct to your students. More information is available in the student handbook.
INCOMING KINDERGARTENERS ~ UPCOMING EVENTS
2023-2024 Kindergarten Registration
- Opens January 30th
Incoming Kindergarten Open House
- March 7th from 6:00pm - 7:30pm in the library.
- Registration is required. The district will post the registration link will be posted this week. More information is available on the BASD website under "families" and "kindergarten".
- Spring Open House Registration
Teach Me to Read At Home Sessions
- These sessions are designed to engage in literacy activities that they will be using when they start kindergarten and to connect with other kindergarten families.
- March 15th - 4:30pm - 6:00pm
- March 29th - 4:30pm - 6:00pm
- April 12th - TBA
- April 26th - TBA
- REGISTRATION LINK
- May 1st
- Once you have registered your child, Mrs. Warning will contact you to schedule an appointment.
Opening of School Letters
- Mailed the week of August 14th.
- Please check the school website for recommended supplies.
- August 24th
- More information to be shared at a later date
*Check out the BASD Website for more information. Click on the "families" tab then "kindergarten"
- Skyzone - January 31st - spots are limited. See the flyer posted on DOJO to sign up.
- Matey's Pizza sale 1/19-1/31. Pick up date is 2/8 from 3:45pm - 5:30pm.
- PTA Meeting - February 1st 6:30pm
- Family Bingo Night - February 24th 6:00pm
Follow & Join the PTA
Member Hub: https://jamesbuchananpta.memberhub.store/
Facebook: James Buchanan PTA
See the district requirements for volunteering - https://www.basdschools.org/volunteering
Every person interested in volunteering must obtain clearances every 5 years
All adults entering the building must sign in.
Members of the PTA will receive first consideration for volunteer opportunities for school activities and field trips.
TITLE I & Family Engagement
Title I funding provides for parent and family engagement in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities.
JBES has allotted funding toward the following:
- Bulldog Bark Newsletter
- Teach Me to Read at Home
We welcome suggestions on family engagement activities. Title I updates are provided at the PTA meeting.
JBES to undergo HVAC RENOVATIONS
At the end of this school year, the district will begin HVAC renovation projects at James Buchanan, Miller Heights, and Hanover Elementary Schools. The projects at each school include removing the existing heating and air conditioning systems and providing new heating and air conditioning systems which will improve air quality; ventilation; temperature and humidity control; and classroom acoustics for all students and staff.
We are extremely excited for James Buchanan’s HVAC system renovation, but in order to complete the renovations prior to the beginning of the new school year in August 2023, the end of the current school year calendar must be modified. Beginning May 15, 2023, the cafeteria and kitchen at James Buchanan will be closed. Bagged lunches will be provided at our school. The last day for in-person instruction will be Wednesday, May 24, 2023. May 24, 2023 will be a half day. Students will receive asynchronous instruction on May 25th. On May 26th, 2022 students will transition to remote learning (synchronous instruction) for the remainder of the current school year.
These proactive end-of-year schedule changes at our school will ensure that the district meets the state-mandated number of days and hours of instruction, while also providing critical, additional time for construction. The additional construction time at the end of this current year will increase the probability that James Buchanan is ready to open with a new HVAC system on the first day of the new school year in August.
Thank you for your understanding. More information will be provided as the school year progresses.
ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL
For the safety of our students, staff, and families, the bus channel is closed to all traffic during arrival and dismissal. Do not go around the barriers.
School doors open at 8:55am. Parents are responsible for the supervision of their children prior to 8:55 am
Guardians of a walking student(s) must park on Kaywin Avenue and walk through the rear driveway access point on Eastwood Drive to drop off your student. Please remain on the sidewalk off to the side of the designated area so that we can be socially distant.
All students arrival after 9am must report to the main office to be signed in by a parent.
Guardians of a walking student(s) must park on Kaywin Avenue and enter through the rear driveway access point on Eastwood Drive to pick up your student. Please remain on the sidewalk off to the side of the main entrance so that we can provide enough distance.
- All students not picked up by 3:45 will be escorted to the main office.
Designated areas for arrival and dismissal:
- Please have students line up behind the designated signs.
- Kindergarten - doors at the Northwest Little League/ Kaywin Avenue end of school
- Grades 1 and 2 - door across from faculty parking lot
- Grade 3 - main entrance (AM); door by arborvitae (PM)
- Grades 4 and 5 - doors located on the end of school close to Catasauqua Road
3:30pm Grades 4-5 walkers dismissed
3:35pm Grades 2-3 walkers dismissed3:40pm Kindergarten and Grade 1 walkers dismissed
James Buchanan Handbook 2022-2023
Principal's email: email@example.com