- Born on March 6th, 1475
- born in Caprese, Italy
- He went to grammar school when he was young
- The he was apprenticed at the age of 13 to Domenico Ghirlandaio who was the most fashionable painter at the time.
Life of Michelangelo
- He spent most of his life in Florence.
- He sculpted a tomb for Pope Julius II.
- Michelangelo was commissioned by that Pope to decorate the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
- He was told to execute a tomb chapel for 2 young Medici dukes
- He also wrote over 300 poems
- he ended His life painting for Pope Paul III
Types of Art that he did
- He did paintings, sculptures, poems, architecture
- for example: David, and the Sistine Chapel
- Giovanni and Giulio
In the photo above and is one of Michelangelo's famous sculptures called David.
- This was created between 1501-1504.
- You can find this piece of art in the Galleria dell'Academia the Galleria is located in Florence, Italy.
- The significance of the piece was big back in the renaissance time because they were really focusing on the human body, the shapes of it and the detail, this concept was called humanism.
Why I Find this Piece of Art so Interesting
David Exemplifies Humanism
"Michelangelo Buonarroti." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998.Biography in Context. Web. 12 Nov. 2013.
Creator : Michelangelo
Title : David
Title : frontal view
Date : 1501-1504
Repository : Galleria dell'Accademia (Florence, Italy)
ARTstor : LESSING_ART_1039490336