Staff Weekly Update
November 5th - 9th, 2018
The Holiday Season Is Almost Upon Us!
I ask that as we return back from Thanksgiving break, let's please be mindful of our classroom holiday decor. As professional educators in a public school, we must recognize all of our diverse learners and needs. Many (if not most) of our SGE families celebrate Christmas, but it is important to remember that not ALL of our families do. We need to be sure we don’t cause children to feel alienated under our roof or do something that causes a child to feel that there is something wrong with their family. We may enjoy things that come with the season and this time of year, but we need to be respectful of both our diverse student population and school board policy.
Simply, we need to be cautious of any signs and/or symbols that represent any specific religious holidays. Please refrain from Santa, Elf on the Shelf, trees, etc. Seasonal décor is fine and appropriate. There are many that find balance with gingerbread, snow, snowflakes, mittens, ice skates, snowmen, etc. Simply ask yourself if your plans and/or the decorations in your room could cause a child to question their own celebrations or make them feel uncomfortable.
As we all know, many people fought for the ideals of “separation of church and state” and as a government institution, we cannot promote one religion over the other. Our good intentions every year land us in difficult situations. Trying to balance teachings about Christian celebrations with other celebrations leaves some of our families wondering why we are promoting other religions to their children. We are in a tough spot and these are some of the parent conversations that have come to us, our colleagues throughout our district, and Dr. Robison.
I realize the hard work and a great deal of effort you all have put into your classroom climate each day to encourage respect, caring, and kindness. Please continue to make sure the environment is safe, especially emotionally safe, for ALL! Thank you!
Please do not hesitate to talk with me, or Martha, if you have any questions and/or concerns about this message or board policy.
With much respect,
Mon. Nov. 5th
- RtI Work all day - Connie/Tammy - conf. room
- Janelle Drisko at SGE all day
- 8:20 - Post Observation - Largent
- 8:30 - 10:30 - Melanie Bowlin at SGE
- 8:45 - Counseling Lesson - Wetzel/Westin
- 11:00 - Pre Observation - Largent
- 11:40 - HS Peer Mentors
- 2:30 - Bi-Weekly Gr. Level Mtgs.
Tues. Nov. 6th
- PICTURE RE-TAKE DAY
- 7:45 - ACR for KDG'r - Largent, Andries, Wagner
- 8:45 - Wetzel in KDG drop-off duty
- 11:45 - Isibindi House mtg - Largent - conf. room
- 11:15 - 2:00 - 1st Gr. Field Trip to Conner Prairie - Strawmyer, Westin, Benefiel
- 12:45 - Long Observation - Largent
- 1:00 - USS Team mtg w/ Dr. Slonaker - conf. room
- 2:00 - Largent leaves for Dr. appt. in Carmel
- 2:40 - Technology Integration mtg w/ Kyle + 2nd grade
Wed. Nov. 7th
- 8:15 - 12:30 - Randee Kleeman at SGE
- 9:15 - Counseling Lesson - Wetzel/Nahrstadt
- 9:45 - Treasurer's Mtg. - Jen Evans - ESC
- 11:15 - 2:00 - 1st Gr. Field Trip to Conner Prairie - Clare/McDaniel
- 12:10 - 3rd Gr. Recess Group - Wetzel - Jessica's office
- 1:00 - Wetzel in meeting - ZCHS
- 2:00 - ACR for 2nd grader - Largent, Andries, Smith - conf. room
- 2:45 - Speech ACR for KDGr - Fure, Wetzel, Shaw - conf. room
- 3:30 - 5:00 - Connie/Martha in weekly mtg.
Thurs. Nov. 8th
- 9:30 - Literacy Coach Mtg. - Largent/Spillman - PVE
- 9:30 - Counseling Lesson - Wetzel/Smith
- 10:15 - 2:00 - Randee Kleeman at SGE
- 12:45 - Post Observation - Largent
- 12:45 - Counseling Lesson - Wetzel/Milam
- 2:00 - Begin Veterans Day set-up
- 2:45 - Building Support Team mtg - USS Team - conf. room
Fri. Nov. 9th
- Payday - NO JEANS - Please wear red, white, and blue!
- 9:30 - Veterans Day Program
- 9:00 - 12:00 - DOE STEM Celebration - Farley/Skura - IN State House
- 11:15 - Counseling Lesson - Wetzel/Shaw
- 1:30 - Counseling Lesson - Wetzel/Clare
- 6:00 - PTO Mother/Son Event - Largent
Upcoming Events . . .
- 10th - ZEF Barn Bash
- 12th - 16th - PTO's Food Drive (DATES CHANGED! It was originally 11/5 - 11/9)
- 13th - 16th - Connie & Abby out four days (Tues-Fri) for Dylexia training at ESC
- 14th - ZEF Family Book Club Night
- 16th - KDG's Thanksgiving Sing
- 16th - SGE Social at Wine & Canvas
- 18th - Kate Dicamillo at IMCPL
- 19th - Drama Club's Fall Play - AM/PM practices + evening performance
- 20th - Largent out - Personal Day (celebrating Kendrick's 50th birthday!!)
- 21st - 23rd - Thanksgiving Break
- 3rd - Coaching Day w/ Jim McMillan from C.L.A.S.S. (click here to sign up!)
- 13th - Staff Meeting
- 14th - PTO Dessert Dive
- 21st - End of Quarter 2
- 21st - PTO Winter Parties
- 24th - Jan. 4th - WINTER BREAK
Veterans Day Program: Friday, November 9th, 2018
Also, SGE will run on the 18-19 2-Hour Delay Schedule. Due to this schedule, everyone will still get lunch and a 30 minute RA times, but going out for outdoor recess is NOT a part of the schedule. If your grade level would still like to have outdoor recess, please be sure to check with all of the other grade levels of your time so we do not have so many students outside at once. No need to check with other grade levels if you're doing indoor recess. IF you do an outdoor or indoor recess time, please be sure to tell the office of your final time.
***IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE VETERANS DAY CLUB***
- This year, in lieu of making decorations, we would love for every classroom teacher to please have a community circle about honoring our Veterans what that means.
- We have created a list of books that can be found on YouTube as a read aloud (see below).
- You are also welcome to read a book from your classroom library collection or from our media center. It does not have to be from our list below.
- What is most important is to please have one (or more!) community circle to have a developmentally appropriate discussion of honoring our Veterans and what that means.
These books are not in our library but can be found on YouTube as a read aloud.
ZEF/SGE Family Book Club
The books will go home on Monday11/5/18! I will have a list of which students from your room got which books. You will also get a copy.
We have 61 that RSVP'd to participate in this event. Out of the 61 families, a little over half stated they WILL be attending this event and the others stated they would not but still wanted to participate at home. This will give us about 40 families, which will be a nice, intimate, and manageable as far as book club size.
YOUR HELP NEEDED!
For those of you that volunteer, we will provide dinner before the event, a light training session, discussion questions will be provided, too! If you're able to help, please click this link! THANK YOU!!
Important Announcements & Reminders
Professional Development Requests
- If you would like to attend any type of professional development, please click here. Next week, this message will be moved to the "Links to Work Orders and *NEW* Google Form Links" section below and it will remain there for the rest of this year for easy access.
Please Join Our REMIND Group
- SGE (staff only) has an all-staff Remind text messaging group called: 18-19 SGE (all staff).
- To simply *receive-only* the text messages, please text the number 81010 and in your "message line" type in the code: @k29hfe.
- If you'd like to be able to text back and forth w/ me via REMIND, please download the app or create an online account.
- As a friendly reminder, please do not share this code with non-SGE staff members.
Above & Beyond Nomination Form
- On our ZCS website, any ZCS staff and/or community member can nominate the work of any ZCS employee that has done extraordinary work. If you've experienced professional support that is above & beyond, feel free to recognize them through this nomination! Please click here to nominate.
Leaving EARLY afterschool and you've gotten permission from Connie/Martha . . .
- If this is the case for you, please help us by always emailing the entire office team to let them know you've gotten permission and also leave your cell # in the email message, in case we need to contact you.
- Who is the "office team?" Connie, Martha, Angie, Jen, Jessica, Hailey
LINKS TO WORK ORDERS & *NEW* GOOGLE FORM LINKS
Technology Work Orders - Reminder from Dan Layton:
- Click here to access this link.
- It is always extremely helpful if you can submit actual technology work orders for any help you need. Please refrain from picking up the phone or emailing a question.
Marquis Work Orders:
Did your trash not get picked up? Does it seem the carpet didn't get vacuumed? Please help Angie & Jen out by filling out the Marquis work order on your own. Thanks!
1. Go to the Zionsville web site
2. Click on Teachers/Staff tab
3. Scroll down about halfway
4. Look for: Custodial Work Orders by Building
5. Click on Stonegate
Click here to access the Teachers/Staff tab
18-19 PTO Wish List - NEW GOOGLE FORM LINK!
- Click the NEW LINK HERE to access this Office 365 Form
Personal Business Leave Request - NEW GOOGLE FORM LINK!
- Please click the NEW LINK HERE to access this form and then don't forget to SAVE this page under your "favorites."
- Finally, as a friendly reminder of our ZCS Personal Business Leave + good information to know for our newest staff, I have copied/pasted the email about personal days sent by Becky Coffman on 5/8/16. This is per our CBA - Collective Bargaining Agreement
- A. Amount – Each employee shall be entitled to be absent from work three (3) days each school year for the transaction of personal business or the conduct of personal or civic affairs. Such leaves may be used in whole or half day increments. Requests for personal business leave should be made 48 hours in advance in writing to the building principal. In cases of emergency or other similar unforeseen circumstance, requests may be made orally to both the substitute coordinator and the building principal.
- B. Employees are discouraged from using personal business leave on staff development days or to extend a school vacation. If used on a staff development day then the employee remains totally responsible for securing the learning lost from their being absent during that activity.
- C. Accumulation – If an employee does not use all of the personal business leave in a given school year, the remaining personal business leave shall be accumulated for use in later school year, except that no more than a total of two (2) days may be accumulated from earlier school years for use as personal business leave, so that the maximum total personal business leave available in any one school year is three (3) days earned during the school year and up to two (2) days accumulated from earlier school years or a total of five (5) days.
- D. Conversion to Sick Leave – Any unused personal business leave not accumulated for use in later years as personal business leave shall be added to the employee’s accumulated sick leave.
STRONG IN EVERY WAY: FIVE TRAITS OF SUCCESS
OUR 2018-2019 DISTRICT ACADEMIC PRIORITIES
SIEW TRAIT OF DETERMINATION: Being told "NO" 473 times
She will also be at our downtown IMCPL branch on Sunday 11/18 @ 2:00 PM!