Parent and Community Edition: May
Linden West Staff Appreciation Week: May 7- 11, 2018
Monday: Smoke House BBQ
Tuesday: Jason's Deli
Wednesday: Meatball subs and salad
Thursday: Appetizers, flavor mix-ins, and soda
Friday: Breakfast casseroles, coffee cakes, fruit, juice, and coffee
Any donations for treats in the lounge are welcome!
Important Upcoming Events
May Important Events
4- Last Day of MAP Testing
4- Sanders out of building
4- Silver Celebration 3:30 Cafe
7--11- Educators Appreciation Week
7- Book Fair 9-4
8-Book Fair 9-4
8- 3rd grade MAP Bowling 9:30- 11:30am
9- Book Fair 9-4
9- 4th grade MAP Bowling 9:30- 11:30am
10- Career Day
11- Aces Day
14- ELL Celebration
14- PTA Meeting 6pm in Library
15- PreK to Deana Rose 9:30- 1:30
15- Remax Hot Air Ballon Demo 9:30- 10:30 (Optional)
16- Staff Meeting @8am
16- 3rd grade field trip to Paradise Park 9:30- 2:00pm
16- 5th grade MAP Bowling 9:30- 11:30am
16- Kindergarten field trip to Detrich Park/ Kaleidoscope 9:30- 2:00pm
16- 5th grade strings performance for 4th graders in gym at 2:30
17- DARE Graduation 2:30pm
17- Yearbook Orders due
18- Field Day
18- Last day of strings
23- 5th grade Field Trip to the movie theatre 9:30- 1:30
24- Yearbook distribution TBA
24- PreK Graduation 10:30 and 1:30
25- 5th grade field trip to the zoo 9:30- 2:00
25- PreK to Penguin Park 10:00- 12:00
28- NO SCHOOL
29- 4th quarter Community Celebrations
29- Last day of PreK
29- Grade cards go home
30- Last Day of School--12:35 Dismissal
Linden West PTA
Get your 2017- 2018 Yearbook for $15!
Champs Camping Adventure
Summer School Applications
We are still accepting applications!
Attendance--WE NEED YOUR HELP!
The Missouri School Improvement Plan (MSIP5) requires that 90% of students attend school at least 90% of the time (90/90 Attendance). Linden West is always striving to out perform the state and our goal is that 94% of our students attend school at least 90% of the time. Every minute of every day matters!!
As of 4/27/18 the Linden West 90/90 Attendance was 89.7%. This means that 89% of LW students are attending school 90% of the time.
Let's keep coming to school because it matters!
Attendance: Popsicles and Playground
Calling All Cougar Scholars!!!
Being a Blue Cougar Scholar means that your student has achieved the following:
· Year to date attendance is 96% or higher
· Zero major or minor school or bus referrals (no ISS/ OSS)
· Quarterly grades: (K-2nd ) all "M"s and "P"s or (3rd -5th )"A"s and "M"s in all subject areas
Being a Yellow Cougar Scholar means that your student has achieved the following:
· Year to date attendance is 94% or higher
· 0-1major or 0-3 minor school or bus referrals (no ISS/ OSS)
· Quarterly grades: (K-2nd ) all "P"s or (3rd -5th )"A"s, “B”s, "M"s, and “P”s in all subjects areas
Being a White Cougar Scholar means that your student has achieved the following:
· Year to date attendance is 92% or higher
· 0- 2 major or 0-5 minor school or bus referrals (no ISS/OSS)
· Quarterly grades: (K-2nd ) all "P"s or (3rd -5th )"A"s, “B”s, “C”s, "M"s, and “P”s in all subjects areas
Welcome to April! 4th Quarter is upon us and I am so excited for Spring!
Thank you for the opportunity to work with your kids, I truly love my job and the joy your kids bring everyday!
Please see my blog for updates on what I have been teaching in my Counselor lessons.
Please contact me with any questions or concerns!
Ashley Paul, Counselor
K&1- Had fantastic performances at the Kindergarten and 1st grade music program/Fine Arts Night!
2- Learned a new melodic note, “re.” This note sits between “do” and “mi” on the staff. Currently learning about the brass family.
3- Learned a new melodic note, low “la.” This note is a skip below “do.” Currently learning about the woodwinds family.
4- Learned new rhythmic note that is used as a pick up into a song or a phrase (single eighth). 4th grade is currently learning about the life and works of the famous Missourian composer Scott Joplin.
5- Learned about the life and works of the famous American composer John Williams. Preparing two songs for DARE Graduation.
It’s been an amazing year in art, but there’s no reason to stop honing your skills. Here is a list of art classes being offered in the Kansas City area. If you can’t make it to a class, no worries. Enjoy the weather by sketching landscapes outside your house. Or look up drawing tutorials such as “Art for Kids Hub”. Have a great summer!
- CartoonWorks (Kansas City, MO) Ron Wheeler’s Cartoon Camp teaches the basics of cartooning, sculpting with clay and creating a comic strip. Audrey’s Art Camp includes working with clay, etching and crafting paper.
- Johnson County Park and Recreation District offers tons of summer camp programs, including camps that focus on performing arts! Dates, locations and fees vary.
- Kansas City Young Audiences Summer camps and classes for your young performer – ages 4 & up with a variety of classes and camp times, including some visual arts options!
- Mattie Rhodes Art Center (Kansas City, MO) has art exploration classes and programs for kids of all ages, pre-school through teenagers. A variety of art forms will be introduced!
- Culture House (Olathe, KS) has a HUGE variety of summer courses available including performing arts and visual arts.
- The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art (Kansas City, MO) has a mix of hands-on and art appreciation classes for a variety of ages. These programs sell out FAST!
- Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art (Overland Park, KS) Fun and educational hands-on art classes offered throughout the year for kids.
- Paint Glaze and Fire (Overland Park, KS) hosts Camp ARTrageous and other fun ceramics classes throughout the summer.
- Red Star Studios Summer Art Camp (KCMO) offers great youth and adult experiences throughout the year. Different themes and mediums will be explored each session. Parent/child classes also available!
- Wolf Creek Art Studio (south Overland Park, KS) offers half-day, week-long Art Camps for kids ages 6-16. A different form of art will be explored each day and includes fun outdoor activities!
- YMCA (20 locations in the metro) offers camps for 5-15 year olds throughout the summer with tons of themes and traditional camp activities. Great hours for working parents with before and after camp care.