Week of January 6, 2021
2021 - 2022 - Approved-In-Principle Calendar
Below are links to the Approved-In-Principle 2021-2022 School Calendar. Feedback from OLA's parent community will be gathered at the 7:00pm January 12 Virtual School Council Meeting. The link for the meeting will be shared on Tuesday January 12th. See you there!
The Seven Sacred Teachings
The Seven Sacred Teachings are values based on First Nations cultural tradition.
Almost all First Nation people follow the Seven Sacred Teachings as a way to know how to behave and treat others well.
These teachings reinforce the teachings of our Catholic faith and to people all over the world that are trying to live a good life.
January Sacred Teaching: Wisdom
Who's Who @ OLA
Introducing you to the Team!
Each week we will highlight a few members of the OLA team who welcome OLA children to school and who are walking with them this school year!
Your children are in great hands!
This week @ OLA
January 6, 2021
- Today we continue to celebrate the Christmas season with Epiphany!
- OLA School Spirit Day - Pajama DAY!
- At-Home Learning begins in your PJs! See you at your google meets!
- Fort Sask Playground Society meeting @ 7pm - See you there for some great news!
- It's a GREAT day to Choose Joy!
January 7, 2021
- At-Home Learning continues
- Looking forward to connecting with you at your google meets!
- Let's Choose Joy together!
January 8, 2021
- At-Home Learning continues
- See you at your class' google meets!
- It's Friday! A great day to Choose Joy!
January 11, 2021
- OLA welcomes children back to school!
To see what is up and coming even further ahead, please visit our website calendar.
You can view our Kindergarten Calendar here.
At Home Learning This Week
Your child’s daily lessons and activities will integrate the following priorities and goals:
Our Catholic Faith
Connections with your child’s teachers and their classmates
Wellness through physical activity and music
Healthy mix of offline and online learning activities
These three days include full-days of learning just as it is when children are at school. Thank you for noting these three days are different from the emergency learning that occurred March to June 2020. For grades 1-4, each learning day will include two scheduled and expected google meets with one in the morning, and one in the afternoon. Our Kindergarten students will have one scheduled and expected Google Meet in the morning of each day for each Kinder class, and an optional pop-in google Meet each afternoon (see Mrs. MacLean’s email for more information).
K-4 students and families have the flexibility of working through goals and objectives at any point in the day when not in google meets. A daily schedule may be shared with you and your child to help navigate the learning objectives and assist with time management.
The schedule for your child's google meets is outlined below. We encourage you to write this schedule on your calendar or post it on your fridge. The google meet schedule has been coordinated to the best of our ability to help families with multiple children, as we know access to technology and connectability may be “bumpy.”
Did you know? Music engages the whole mind?
On Wednesday and Thursday, January 6th and 7th, children are invited to participate in a music learning activity with Mrs. Lukie. Children have the choice to participate in virtual learning with Mrs. Lukie through a google meet, or choose to participate in their Fine Arts learning offline by completing the lessons as outlined by Mrs. Lukie. These optional music google meets are also outlined below.
Google Meet Schedules
Every Day Morning Connection Google Meets (January 6, 7 & 8):
- 9:00am -- Grades 3 and 4
- 9:30am -- Grades 1 & 2
- 10:00am -- Monday/Wednesday Kindergarten Class
- 10:45am -- Tuesday/Thursday Kindergarten Class
Every Day Afternoon Connection Google Meets (January 6, 7 & 8)
- 1:00pm -- Grades 3 and 4
- 1:30pm -- Grades 1 and 2
Optional Virtual Learning with Mrs. Lukie (Wednesday Jan. 6 & Thursday Jan. 7)
(if not attending the google meet, students are to complete the learning activities as outlined by Mrs. Lukie)
- 10:30am -- 3MK + 3SK
- 11:00am -- 1MW
- 11:30am -- 1&2M + 2C
- 12:30pm -- M/W + T/Th Kindergarten
- 2:00pm -- 4E + 4P
Links for the google meets, along with all of the information needed for learning, will be located in your child’s google classroom.
Should you have challenges accessing your child’s google classroom, please review the emails sent to you by your child’s teacher (thank you for checking your junk mail) and connect with your child, as several class communities use Google Classroom at school.
Please feel free to connect with your child’s teacher should you still encounter challenges accessing google Classroom. The OLA office will remain open for phone connects and emails to assist you during at-home learning January 6th to 8th. OLA is scheduled to re-open to students for in-person learning on January 11, 2021. When we return to face to face learning, OLA will continue to follow the protocols as outlined in the EICS Re-Entry Plan.
Teachers will be available outside of the google meets listed above and are best reached by email. Teachers may organize small group meets, and/or drop-in meets to support student learning. Teachers will also share learning goal expectations through their google classroom when students are working offline.
Attendance will be taken twice per day (once for our Kindergarten students) at each of the google meets. During these google meets, children will connect with each other and their teacher as well as gain an understanding of the lessons for the day. The google meets will help set your child up for success, and help them successfully complete their learning tasks for the day.
As with any learning day, thank you for emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or using the Safe Arrival APP should your child be absent from learning. Thank you for continuing this practice during at-home learning January 6, 7 and 8, 2021.
We look forward to welcoming our students back to OLA on Monday!
Playground Society Meeting
The Fort Saskatchewan Catholic Schools playground Society will be holding their annual meeting Wednesday, Jan 6th at 7pm.
Please click the link below to join the meeting
We have some exciting news to share with you all. Hope to see you then
1MW, Our First Mystery Reader
1 & 2 M Nativities
Thank you for your help!
We have our shelves! Thanks to Mme Gravelle and Mrs. Bassett for their watchful eyes on facebook upcycling pages - we have our shelves!
We continue to welcome donations of:
- Scrabble letter squares
- Magnetic letters
- Chalk board erasers
- Complete Board Game sets
- Decks of Cards
Thank you to the families who have already donated items! They are and will be well used!
Supports for At-Home Learning January 6-8, 2021
- What is Google Classroom? Click here to access a short Slide Show presentation about Google Classroom and how to access the Google Applications with Google Suite. Here is a PDF version of the slide how presentation.
- Ensure you or your child has access to Google Classroom. Kindergarten to Grade 2 families have received emails from their teachers with instructions on how to access and log onto Google Classroom. Please connect with your child's teacher if you do not yet have access. Grade 3 and 4 parents, please ask your child to show you how they access their Google Classroom as they use it regularly in class.
- Do you know your child's unique student ID that begins with a 6 and contains six digits. These six digits, plus @eics.ab.ca are their EICS email address and login email: studentIDemail@example.com . Please reach out to your child's teacher if your child can't remember theirs or you cannot find the email that was sent to you with it.
- Once you have access, here is a quick video on how to log into Google Classroom and other Google applications from a laptop or other device than a Chromebook.
- As teachers post assignments, videos and information online for your child's learning,
these videos, pictures or other instructional content shared with you are for instructional purposes only within your home and your child. These are not to be re-shared to other platforms or individuals. Your cooperation with regards to this is much appreciated!
When your child meets their class for their google meet, it may be advantageous to get the Grid View extension for Chrome so your child can see all of his/her classmates. It can be disabled at any time. For more information, please click here.
The OLA office will remain open for emails and phone connects to support you during at-home learning. Mrs. Heesing, Mrs. Kucy and Mme Gravelle are also available to connect with you during this time. Please email them or contact the OLA office and Mrs. Desaulniers will be happy to pass along your message.
Looking for fun things to do with your children, or fantastic music to play and sing along with? Check out Mrs. Lukie's Music Lab Web Page!
Thank you for checking your email (and your junk mail)
for more information from your child's homeroom teacher
that will set us up well for learning and growing together at home
January 6, 7 & 8.
3MK December Fun
Cohort Faith Assemblies
First Communion and Reconciliation
If you would like your child to receive their First Communion this year and they have not yet celebrated their First Reconciliation, please contact the OLA Parish office at 780-998-3288 to make an appointment to meet with Father Kris.
Information about registration for all sacrament preparation will be coming out in December. Registration for all sacrament preparation will occur in January.
OLA School Council News
See you at our next meeting, on Tuesday, January 12th@ 7:00 pm.
Google Meet link will be shared with you that day.
Thank you for checking your email inbox or spam/junk folder.
To connect with your OLA School Council, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meeting Minutes December 8
Click below to order your OLA Spirit Wear!
Student Illness and your Child's Learning
- Fever, Cough, Shortness of Breath or difficulty breathing, Runny Nose, Sore Throat, Chills Painful swallowing, Stuffy Nose, Headache, Muscle or joint aches, Feeling unwell, fatigue or severe exhaustion, Gastrointestinal symptoms (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or unexplained loss of appetite), Loss of sense of smell or taste, Conjunctivitis, commonly known as pink eye.
Please email Mrs. Desaulniers, email@example.com and cc: your child's homeroom teacher to share what symptoms your child is experiencing as well as an approximate date for your child's return so we can plan for your child's learning and growing in Literacy and Numeracy while away.
Thank you for continuing to connect with us with your child's test results.
Updated Alberta Health Documents
January 11, 2021
- In-Class Learning resumes
January 12, 2021
- Virtual School Council Meeting 7:00 p.m.
- Virtual CEPAC Meeting @ 6:30pm
January 18-22, 2021
- Break the Rules Week - More information to follow
- Saffron Grade Level Presentations
January 25-29, 2021
- Adoration @OLA
- Saffron Parent Presentation for OLA - Internet Safety
January 29, 2021
- In School PD Day - No School
- Kindergarten and Grade 1-4 Registration opens for 2021-2022 School Year
February 3, 2021
- School Spirit Day - Career Day
- Early Dismissal - 2:19pm
- Progress Reports available on PowerSchool
February 4 - 5, 2021
- Teachers' Convention - No School
Telus Internet for Good
In the current landscape of physical distancing, access to fast, reliable connectivity has never been more essential. TELUS Internet for Good helps low-income families stay connected, empowering youth to safely learn from home.
2019-2020 School Yearbooks
This could make a great Christmas present.
School fees have now been added to your PowerSchool ParentPortal and are now due. Payment can be made by debit or credit card by visiting your PowerSchool account.
If you require assistance signing into your account please call Mrs. Desaulniers at 780-998-3716 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Field trip: to date all field trips involving bussing are cancelled. Virtual field trips and walking trips may still occur. Once these have been finalized we will share the field trip fee for payment
All unpaid fees by March 1, 2021 may be sent to a collections agency.