The Patrick Henry Post
December 16th, 2022
The Final Regular Edition of The Patrick Henry Post in 2022
Saying Farewell to 2022
A few highlights from the staff include:
- "Watching Andrew in 3rd grade help preschoolers from Ms. Teresa's class with water breaks and transitions out of their classroom."
- "Receiving offers of support from colleagues throughout the entire semester for lunch duty coverage, bathroom breaks, extra copies, last minute supply requests. etc."
- "Connecting with staff of different grade levels and specialties and learning to be a better teacher because of it."
- "Our new staff members rock! They're the best, seriously, the best."
- "I like that I've got people on this team who are in this work for real and it's really encouraging to know we are in it together."
A few highlights from our students include:
- "Getting to know the teachers at this school because I'm new and I didn't know anyone at first but they're all really nice."
- "Making friends!"
- "Running around in the gym! OMG it is so fun."
- "Playing with my friends at recess."
- "Centers centers centers. I love centers."
- "Growing in my reading score. I am really proud of that."
- "Halloween was so cool."
- "I liked the nacho days at lunch."
- "That one day that we got to have a party because we all did so good on our reading tests and it was, like, the best day ever."
- "I got to see Santa for the first time ever and I made sure he was coming to my house for Christmas. He said he would be there!"
- "I just really like math every day."
- "All the science stuff - yeah we even got to make birdhouses this year!"
- "The comfy chairs. I looooooooove when we get to read in the comfy chairs."
- "My backpack is so awesome."
- "I liked getting my coat!"
- "The toy drive was my favorite day."
- "My teacher! I love her!"
A few highlights for Dr. Rogers include:
- Welcoming new and returning staff back to school in August, and seeing the collaboration and passionate spirit in every team member.
- Reconnecting with our returning students and families and seeing how much they have grown in such a short time.
- Meeting our new students and new families and building strong relationships.
- Gaining new community partners and fostering past partnerships to ensure our students are taken care of in every way possible.
- Watching our students make enormous growth in reading and math in just one semester of learning.
- Connecting with kids, seeing them laugh and play, and knowing they are safe and learning every day at Patrick Henry.
I hope all of our families and partners take the time before the New Year to reflect on the beautiful things that have happened this fall. Thank you for being a part of this school community, you make this an incredible place to work. Have a wonderful Winter Break!
Thank you, Community Partners!
Mike Raeber's Toy Drive
One of the best parts of this experience is that Mr. Raeber brings with him a team of volunteers who walk 1:1 with a student through the maze of available toys. They always make a point to introduce themselves and get to know the student as they shop, asking for their likes, dislikes, and interests so that they find just the right toys for the holiday season. The toys were all organized by type, so kids had the opportunity to go for the dolls, stuffed animals (or "squishies" as we have started calling them), sports equipment, action figures, and even giant dinosaurs! Giving our students choice was one of the best parts of the day, and it was even more fun with a personal shopper to assist them.
Thank you to Mike Raeber and his team for this incredible donation! Thank you also to Ms. Shanice Webb and Ms. Kelsey Jones from Patrick Henry for running this event and ensuring all students were able to participate. What an amazing send-off for our Winter Break!
Final Phase in the Garden Concrete Project
Garden Concrete Project Update
We are so proud of the final product and this major improvement to one of Patrick Henry's treasures! Thank you to our partners who made this possible:
- Scott Downs, Apprenticeship Program Coordinator, Cement Mason's Union Local 527
- Jeff Caputa, Instructor with Cement Mason's Union Local 527
- Diana Wilhold, Deputy Executive Director & Chief Operating Officer, Construction Forum
- Leanne White, Director of Healthy Schools Initiatives, St. Louis Public Schools
- Denise Strehlow, Manager, BJC School Outreach and Youth Development
- Erica Oliver, Community Health Partner, BJC Healthcare
Highlights from Spirit Month
Candy Cane Lane
Monday, December 12th was a red and white extravaganza for "Dress Like a Candy Cane" day!
Ms. Gregory and Ms. Harris created their own spirit day with a Charlie Brown-themed twin day.
Ms. Lindsey Smith was "caught" dancing with her students to an amazing holiday jingle.