2.4.2022 15th Edition
PARENTS/GUARDIANS - ACTION REQUIRED
We NEED your feedback! We are at 13% and we need to reach at least 20% participation!
Please take the time to complete the yearly 5 Essentials Survey. Please follow these steps below. We REALLY appreciate it!
To take this short survey:
1. Visit 5 Essentials Survey Link
2. Type and select “Dupage” as "County." (The county is the location of the school district's main office.)
3. Type your school's name into the "School" field and select your school.
Fit Young Leaders
On behalf of Nancy Young Elementary students, staff and community we want to thank Tony Pape, Tanya Shea, and Jamie Hood for implementing Fit Young Leaders here at NYE! The program has been so successful that the Curriculum & Instruction Team invited our team to present to the Board of Education. I was not surprised when we were contacted by several other schools all of whom were interested in learning about the program. In fact, we were recognized in four different papers! The Chicago Tribune, the Naperville Sun, the Daily Herald, and the Beacon-News all wrote about the SEL programs!
Thank you, Tony, Tanya and Jamie, for your leadership and facilitation of this program!
Next PTA Meeting- Wednesday, February 16th at 9:15AM via zoom
Erin Rodriguez is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Join Zoom Meeting
Hello PTA Members,
First, I wanted to give a quick thanks to all who attended out PTA meeting last Wednesday evening. I really enjoyed hearing from Mr. Pape, Ms Shea, and Mr. Hood about Fit Young Learners (FYL), the program they're running at the school. It's such a creative way to build positive relationships with the students!
Secondly, I wanted to ask for your help - despite in-person events being put on hold for the time being, PTA work continues and we're looking for extra hands to make light work. There are a number of ways to get involved, so I'm hoping you'll read through and find something that calls to you (or even better, that you and a friend could tackle).
- Yearbook - We are looking for someone (or a group of people) to help put the yearbook together. HR Imaging has the pics of the kids from Picture Days and they publish the yearbook, but we need to assemble the theme pages. In the past, these pages of photo collages have been grouped around themes such as "Child Advocates" (pics of staff and students together), a page of candids for each grade level, events at the school, and athletics. We've been collecting pictures of this school year as best as we can, and we need some creative people to assemble the collages for us.
- School Supply kits - In order to take some of the stress out of back-to-school, school supply kits give you the option to buy all your back-to-school supplies with a few clicks on the webpage. We're looking for someone to be the contact person with the supply company. We've used Carlson in the past and Mrs. Vacca has a direct number for a rep there. You would make sure teacher's supply lists are submitted to the company and pick a day for the supplies to be delivered to the school (usually to the LMC, sometime toward the end of the summer). Then, before school starts, you would organize the distribution of the kits to the classrooms (or at least by grade to the hallway). This also acts as a fundraiser for the PTA which, in years past, as earned around $1000!
- Succession Planning - it's the time of year where the PTA is discussing NEXT year. This year, in particular, a number of Exec Board positions are held by parents of fifth graders or families that are changing schools due to the re-boundary process. Ideally, the PTA reflects the student population of the school. We would love to have a diverse group of parents representing all the grades actively involved in the PTA. I've attached position descriptions to this email (please note, we can have co-presidents). From a personal point of view, I stepped into the Presidency this year with very limited prior PTA experience. The time commitment has been very manageable. IL PTA offers trainings and support people, the Indian Prairie Presidents Council (IPPC) offers trainings and support people, there's a Facebook page for District 204 PTA Presidents, and Mrs. Rodriguez is great to work with. If you are interested in learning more about any of the positions, just let me know and we'll get you more information. The PTA's mission is to make every child's potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children. In addition to supporting this inspiring mission, I've really enjoyed getting to know the school behind the scenes.
Thanks for reading this far. Just a few more items: our next Restaurant Night is at Culvers (details coming school) and our next General PTA meeting is Feb. 16th at 9:15 via Zoom. If you have an idea for topics for presentation at PTA meetings, let me know and I'll do my best.
Next Board of Education Meeting
Next Board of Education Meeting
The next regular Board of Education meeting is at 7 pm on Monday, February 7, 2022 at the Crouse Education Center, 780 Shoreline Drive, Aurora. Meeting agendas and documents will be available online prior to the meeting. Indian Prairie School District 204 Board of Education meetings will require masks to be worn at all times by those attending the meeting. Video of the regular meeting can be streamed live or viewed the following day at the District’s YouTube channel.
Monday, February 21st - No School Presidents' Day
Thursday, March 3rd - No School Parent/Teacher Conferences (1:00 PM - 8:00 PM)
Friday, March 4th - No School Institute Day
Friday March, 25th - End of Quarter
Monday, March 28 - Friday, April 1st - No School - Spring Break
Nominate a Staff Member for the A+ Award
The Indian Prairie Educational Foundation and Wells Fargo Advisors are partnering for the eighth year to recognize our outstanding staff members who go above and beyond. To nominate someone who is making a difference, visit A+ Award.
Positive cases of COVID-19 at each school in Indian Prairie 204 can be found on the District's COVID Dashboard. The information is updated each Monday by 4 pm. If your child is in close contact with someone who tested positive, a member of the COVID-19 Response Team will notify you directly regarding the need to quarantine as a precaution.