4th Grade Newsletter
April 24, 2015
- Thursday, April 16-Thursday, April 30 - Milestones Testing Dates (no after school activities and no TAG).
- Friday, May 1: ELA In Class Project= Completed by end of class.
- Wednesday, May 6: End-of-Novel Test
- Friday, May 8: Art Festival
- Friday, May 8: Breakfast Day for Bud, Not Buddy Classes
- Tuesday, May 12: TAG Buffet of Scholars w/Mrs. Dempsey
- Wednesday, May 13: Civil Rights Museum Field Trip
- Thursday, May 14: STEM Day
- Friday, May 15: Field Day
- Monday, May 18- Tuesday, May 19: Reading In-Class Project
- Tuesday, May 19: Last Science Test/Projects Due
- Wednesday, May 20 - Thursday, May 21: Aquarium Field Trip
NWEA Learning Pathways: lessons in Study Island are linked to your child's MAP score; if all students in homeroom complete at least 15 questions in each section (and pass with a blue ribbon!) the class will get a pizza party.
On-Level/Advanced: We will finish The Watsons Go to Birmingham on Thursday, April 30. Students will begin the film version of The Watsons Go to Birmingham on May 4. This film is rated PG. If you do not want your child to watch this film, please email Ms. Mingus by Friday, May 1.
Accelerated: We will finish Bud, Not Buddy on Tuesday, May 5. Since students will be unable to enjoy an accompanying film version of their novels, students will enjoy a Breakfast Day, eating some of the foods central to the novel, including "paincakes" (pancakes) and oatmeal with brown sugar on Friday, May 8. Students are welcome to bring other breakfast items. Please be advised of student allergies or food restrictions. We will not be able to reheat any food students bring.
All Classes: The end-of-novel test will be May 6. Study guides are posted to the portal. Students have received a hard copy.
On level students will create a restaurant menu, Advanced and Accelerated students will complete a tic-tac-toe board of various activities, and some students that scored highly on the unit pre-assessment will be given a challenge menu board of activities.
They have physical copies of packets and several packets that are posted only on the portal. Feel free to utilize videos from BrainPop, Scholastic Study Jams or YouTube to supplement.
Next week we will begin our new (surprise) unit.
Next year, Mrs. Dempsey will be teaching 5th grade science at Holly Springs Elementary STEM Academy in Canton, GA.