Clarks Creek Chronicles
April, 2017 - News and Notes to Keep You Connected
A Note From the Principal
We had a great few weeks leading up to spring break, enjoyed a week off making new memories with family and friends, and now we are back at it! We had a fantastic first week back and are ready delve into the last six weeks of school with gusto!
We still have several fun activities left in the school year and also have many important lessons still to be learned and assessments to make sure we've gotten where we needed to.
As the weather gets warmer and daylight keeps little ones from wanting to go to bed early, do what you can to maintain your usual schedule so your child can soak up all of the remaining "drops of learning" left in this school year!
PLANNING AHEAD FOR NEXT YEAR
- Some parents have asked about making requests for next year's teachers. We do not accept parent requests for a child to have a particular teacher. We are lucky to have an outstanding teaching staff, and most children will do well with any of our teachers. However, if you are very concerned about your child's placement because of particular learning needs, you can feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with those details, and we will do our best to find a great match. Please do not request a specific teacher in such communications. The deadline for this information is May 5th.
- Returning Students - April 17th, an email will be sent out asking you to update and verify your student's information in PowerSchool. This will be a quicker and more efficient way to update our returning students' profiles. Parents who had not already created a PowerSchool Parent log-in have been contacted over the past couple of weeks as a reminder to do so, as that is a necessary part of the registration process.
- NEW STUDENTS (Including Kindergarteners!) - See the note below.
- Students in grades K-4 will "step-up" to meet all of the teachers in the next grade level at the end of May. Students will interact with all of the teachers in their new grade level so that they can learn about what they should expect in their new grade level and meet those who will be teaching them, supervising them at recess, and so forth.
- Classroom rosters will be released one week before school begins. Students will still have a chance to come in and meet their new teacher before school begins at the supply drop-off night. The date for this event will be included in next month's newsletter.
- Parents of 5th Grade Students - In early May, Mr. Cooney and the rest of the PCMS administration team will meet with you to introduce you to what you can expect while your son or daughter is in middle school. The meeting will be held in the PCMS auditorium on May 4th at 6:00.
DO YOU KNOW A FAMILY MOVING TO PLAINFIELD or STUDENTS ENTERING KINDERGARTEN?
- The Walkathon is 4/28, approximately 9am-noon
- Due to construction at Clarks Creek, the walkathon route is different this year. Volunteers will need to check in AT BRENTWOOD this year. Students will be walking in the neighborhoods surrounding Brentwood and Clarks Creek, hence the need for a permission slip.
- Permission slips are due 4/10 - please turn these in ASAP
- Volunteers need to be signed up by 4/10 and must have an approved background check on file.
- Students are encouraged to talk to friends and family who might be interested in supporting our school activities to see if they might like to donate a small amount to our school through the walkathon. This is a great opportunity for our students to practice talking to adults and share some of the great things that happen at our school. A few examples of things that walkathon money has paid for this year would be field trips for each grade level, having an author/cartoonist visit our school, and having a "mathemagician" visit our school. Help your child think through what to say, and be sure they end with a "thank you" regardless of whether the person chooses to make a donation.
- All funds raised are due on or before 4/24 for prize eligibility. Checks may be made payable to Clarks Creek Elementary School (not PTO).
- Student T-shirts WILL NOT BE SENT HOME prior to the event. Students will receive their shirts the morning of the Walkathon and will change into them before heading out to walk.
- Volunteer T-shirts (if you ordered one) will be sent home no later than 4/27.
- Prizes are much the same as years past as well: top three students in the building, then top three students in each grade level, top three classrooms in the building, and many more random drawing prizes as well.
- As clarification, THIS IS NOT A PTO FUNDRAISER. THIS IS A SCHOOL FUNDRAISER. All funds raised will help pay for items such as field trips, school wide convocations, and much more. However, PTO is coordinating this event. If you have questions please email PTO at: email@example.com.
Walkathon Schedule - All Walks Leave from the Loop to the SW of Brentwood
8:55 – 9:20 am Preschool Warm-Up & Walk
9:15 – 9:40 am Kindergarten Warm-Up & Walk
9:35 – 10:00 am 3rd Grade Warm-Up & Walk
9:55 – 10:25 am 2nd Grade Warm-Up & Walk
10:20 – 10:50 am 1st Grade Warm-Up & Walk
10:45 – 11:20 am 4th Grade Warm-Up & Walk
11:15 - 11:50 5th Grade Warm-Up & Walk
11:50am – 12:30 pm 5th Grade Lunch Party provided by Piezanos Pizza
Click the Link Above to See the Website Calendar
4/10 PTO Meeting 6:30pm - Library - enter door 3
4/10-4/14 Spring Book Fair
4/13 Grandparent's Night 4:30-6pm
4/17 - 5/5 ISTEP+ Testing Gr. 3-5, Part 2
4/20 Mobile Dentist
5/1- 5/5 Staff Appreciation Week
- 5/4 5th Grade Parent Meeting- What to Expect in Middle School- 6:00pm at Middle School Auditorium
5/8 PTO Meeting 6:30pm
5/9 Fifth Grade Music Program 7:00pm
- 5/15 High Ability Program Parent Meeting at 6:00pm - invitations will be sent
- 5/19 5th Grade Breakfast - Breakfast served 7:30am; Program begins 8:15am
- 5/19 Final PRIDE Convo of the Year! 2:30pm - gym
- 5/23--Last day of school for students
- 5/27 Plainfield High School Commencement 11:00am
The LAST ROUNDS OF TESTING are here!
Parents of ALL students, grades K-5 should be aware that the last Star benchmark assessments have also begun. Teachers are administering these at different times, but all students will be taking them. This is will give us the final piece of information needed to see the growth that all students have made this year.
Growth and Development
IMPORTANT End-of-Year Message from the Cafeteria
Starting Monday, May 1st , we will enforce our NO charging policy for breakfast and lunch. PLEASE keep your child’s lunch account current with money for lunch. If your child eats breakfast at school PLEASE make sure the account is funded for that as well, as breakfast is an important start to your child’s school day. If your child’s account is in the negative and he/she does not have a lunch from home, he/she will have to call home to have a lunch or money brought to them.
We still need volunteers for this week! Can you help?
- 4/10- PTO Meeting - 6:30 in the library, enter door 3
- 4/10-14- Book Fair - Town Hall
- 4/13- Grandparent’s Night - Students may take visitors to their classrooms
- 4/28- Walk-A-Thon
- 5/8-PTO Meeting - 6:30 in the library, enter door 3
Reminder - Volunteer at Clarks Creek!
Another thing we ask all volunteers to complete annually is the Volunteer Confidentiality Form. This form is available in the school office and should also be completed before the first volunteer experience.
We appreciate the help of all of our volunteers! We couldn't do it without you!