The Scoop on 3Sc
December 11, 2015
Mrs. Schaefer's 3rd Grade Class
Check out how much fun we had at school this week!
Our Week of Learning
- This week we wrapped up our books Patterns in the Sky books. We finished reading and discussing these in our guided reading groups. Your students are now very familiar with the many different patterns in our sky - ask them to share some with you.
- Students also went on a Solar System scavenger hunt using QR codes. This was a great way to review concepts being taught. This also allowed students to continue practicing using complete sentences by restating the questions being asked.
- This week our guided math groups were in full swing. Students are working on telling and writing time to the nearest minute, as well as solving problems involving the addition and subtraction of time intervals. For example, determining elapsed time. This is the perfect unit to practice at home using real life situations.
- This week students worked on the following lowercase letters in their cursive writing books: r, f, and j
- We also introduced persuasive writing this week. Students are currently in the process of persuading Santa to keep them on the nice list this year. They are required to state their opinion and provide reasons/ examples to support their claim. We will be finishing these up next week.
- Students participated in Hour of Code this week! The Hour of Code is a one-hour introduction to computer science, designed to demystify code and show that anybody can learn the basics. Students from all over the world joined in on this exciting learning opportunity.
- Lesson videos are available through the district website. Videos are available for each lesson being taught. We are currently working on Module 2, however, you can access all of the lesson videos at any time. These videos are short tutorials of how the lesson is being taught to students. They walk you through a few problems and introduce the vocabulary being used in class. Please feel free to use these videos as pre-teaching or re-teaching if you are looking for some extra support at home.
News From Your Student
Be sure to check out your child's newsletter to see what stuck with them this week!
Reminders and Upcoming Events
- December 18: Spirit day - wear festive holdiay gear
- December 18: Classroom holiday parties/ Last day of school before winter break
- January 4: School Resumes
- January 15: Half Day - School Improvement Day
- January 18: No School MLK Jr. Day
- As we approach colder temperatures this is just a reminder that recess will be outdoors unless the temperature reaches below zero. Please be sure to send your child with the appropriate cold weather clothing.
- In addition, students may not go on the equipment of into the field without snow pants and snow boots when there is snow on the ground.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns!