MSMS School Counseling Update
The week of April 13, 2020
MOVING THIS SUMMER?? Please contact Mrs. Derstine at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible so that we can get records ready.
Mrs. Lesley Wark - Director of School Counseling - email@example.com
Mrs. Erica Herrera - School Social Worker - firstname.lastname@example.org
6th grade counselors :
Mrs. Sara Correll (Last name A-K) email@example.com
Mrs. Rebecca Powers (Last Name L-Z) firstname.lastname@example.org
7th grade counselors:
Mrs. Stephanie Sturges (Last Name A-K) email@example.com
Mr. John Lang (Last Name L-Z) firstname.lastname@example.org
8th grade counselors:
Mrs. Sara Correll (Last Name A-C) email@example.com
Mrs. Stephanie Sturges (Last Name D-K) firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Rebecca Powers (Last Name L-Pa) email@example.com
Mr. John Lang (Last Name Pe-Z) firstname.lastname@example.org
8th grade News
1. If you did not turn in your signed copy of your course request form, don't worry. That's why they took a copy with them! If you want to change anything on your request, email your counselor at the high school.
2. If you did not get to complete a schedule, the high schools are in the process now of contacting students that they need information from.
3. As we get general information from schools, we will post the information here and on our web page. So far we have heard from:
To future Brentsville Tigers:
We are very excited to work with all of you at Brentsville next year. If you are seeing this, you (or your student) did not have an opportunity to meet with a Brentsville counselor for scheduling prior to March 13. Included in this group are current ninth grade, rising ninth grade, a few current 10th graders, private school, and home schooled students.* We want to do our best to assist you with your class choices for next year, so we are providing the following supports.
Below is a link to the microsoft form you must use to select courses for next year. Please make sure to select seven courses AND three alternate electives. If core class selections are made that are different than the teacher recommendations, counselors may be reaching out with parental override forms to gain entrance into those classes.
Dr. Meints and I will be hosting a ZOOM meeting primarily for rising ninth graders (all students new to BDHS are welcome) and their parents on April 16th at 7:00 PM. We will discuss the transition to high school, course level and specialty program options, class expectation differences, answer any questions you may have, and provide further evidence about how awesome it is to be a Brentsville Tiger! This presentation will be recorded in case anyone can't attend. An invitation to the meeting is below.
Topic: Brentsville Rising 9th Grade Orientation
Time: Apr 16, 2020 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 419 358 376
We sincerely hope you are able to join us. Again, if not, please remember it will be recorded and posted to our main page for you to review.
Finally, if you have any questions please contact your Brentsville counselor. They will be out next week for spring break, but will return April 13 ready to help you and answer your emails. Their alphabetical caseloads and email addresses are noted on our website:
*New to PWC? Please note: Registrations for private school/home schooled students will be open later in the spring. Please keep checking the PWCS Student Services website for updates (http://pwcs.edu/departments/student_services/registration__new_students_and_transfers_
7th grade News
1. Did you turn in your Course Request form for 8th grade? If not, go to https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=bZqwF-SVHk2F4xzg1N5_wY8ByzOOTFNJtUV7CW8gqRVUM09PU0VEOVlVUkFQSVM5V0hWOEZCTElCQy4u and complete one NOW!!!!
2. This is a great time to do or update your Academic and Career Plan. Most students started this in the Career Investigations class, but if you didn't have the class yet or didn't finish, now's your chance! This is a plan required by the state of VA to help you as you go through the rest of your schooling and prepare for graduation! Go to: https://pwcs.ss9.sharpschool.com/cms/one.aspx?portalId=340225&pageId=774487
to access yours!
6th grade News
Color me ........
PWCS cares deeply about students’ emotional well-being during their time away from school. If a student is in need of emotional support during this time, please feel free to send an e-mail to email@example.com. A school mental health or health professional will answer and offer virtual support to students to the best of their ability. This e-mail is not to be used for emergency situations as it will not be monitored 24 hours a day. If a student is ever in an emergency situation he/she is encouraged to call 911 or utilize one of the resources listed below:
ACTS Helpline 703.368.4141
1.800.SUICIDE (24-hour hotline) 1.800.784.2433
Crisis Text Hotline (24-hour hotline) 741741
PWC Child Protective Services Hotline 703.792.4200
PWC Community Services Board 703.792.7800