GHMS Dawg Bites
Volume 5, Issue 2 --- Week of August 21st
Excellence is our cornerstone, our tradition, the Bulldog way!
BBEL Academy Service Project – Bulldogs, Believe!
August 17, 2017
We are proud that last year our GHMS Bulldog students and faculty started a partnership with our sister school BBEL Academy (pronounced Bell). Prior to that, in just two days in 2015, we supplied the school with over 10,000 pencils! At that point, we knew we could do more. The school officially opened in 2014 and does not receive much support as it is situated in a rural location outside of the capital city of Kampala. However, with our support over the last two years BBEL was motivated to open an official school bank account, register with the Ministry of Education, purchase 10 acres of land, and move their school to their permanent home!
This year we are continuing to partner with our sister school, BBEL Academy, to promote education around the globe. Our campaign is, “Bulldogs, Believe”. Our goal is to support students at BBEL Academy by providing funds to help with student tuition, teacher pay, and additions to their school building. BBEL Academy would also like to begin raising hogs on property to help sustain the school. Being involved in a project like this has significant learning opportunities for our students as well.
How can I help?
We are continuing our efforts this year with another fundraising walk. The walk represents how far some of the students at BBEL Academy walk each way, to and from school every day. Students who would like to participate will raise any amount of funds, choose where they would like to see their funds distributed, and walk approximately two and a half miles on school property, during the school day on Friday, September 1st. Forms were sent home with students. Turn in the form with all money to staff at the start of the walk on September 1st.
Students may also help and participate in the walk if they purchase a t-shirt by Wednesday, August 23rd. The t-shirt costs $15.00, and with every t-shirt purchased one t-shirt will also be sent to a student at the academy in Uganda. BBEL Academy students are honorary Bulldogs!
We are grateful that our students have so many opportunities to get involved with service projects that truly make a difference for others. Students may work to support efforts sponsored by our BETA club, student council, and other school groups that reach beyond our school and benefit others in our community, state, and around the world. Be on the lookout for a chance to help with Breast Cancer Research in October when Coach Gesell participates in the Avon Breast Cancer Walk in New York!
Angie Harms, Literacy Specialist & GHMS Faculty
7th Grade Health Information - Very Important!!! 7th grade parents please read and assist GHMS.
As of August 2013, South Carolina requires that ALL seventh graders receive the Tdap vaccine to protect them against whooping cough (pertussis).
Turn in forms to Rachel Miles, GHMS School Nurse. This has been a major undertaking for us to collect the required documentation. Please bring forms in ASAP if you have not done so already. Your assistance with this is greatly appreciated. For any questions call the GHMS health room at 803-548-8313 or e-mail email@example.com.
Click on the GHMS Monthly Calendars
Each calendar can be viewed in color as a PDF or printed out!
The GHMS App (Download at the App Store or on Google Play):
- A customized newsfeed for your student’s teachers & extra-curricular activities
- 5 Quick Links (School Phone, Parent Portal, GHMS Website, Lunch Menus, Bell Schedule)
Resource Bar – Contacts – Customized Push Notifications for your student’s teachers:
- Contacts for all school personnel, including quick link to each teacher’s e-mail and class webpage
- Subscribe to receive push notifications and reminders on your phone/iPad. Available for iPhone and Android users.
- To subscribe to your student’s teachers/clubs/athletic teams …. Download the App. Contacts > Grade Level/Related Arts > “Teacher” > Bottom right > click alerts > tap toggle button to subscribe
- Events - School Calendar at your fingertips
- My Alerts - Set up push notifications and alerts all under one location
- Maps - Map locator to all FMSD middle schools, High schools, FMSD Office, and all out of district opponents
- Quick Links - Quick Links to Dawg Bites, Parent Portal, Peachjar, etc.
- Documents - Documents for the school (i.e. Physical Forms)
- School Menus – Direct access to K-12 menus
- Pay Fees - Pay school fees and add money to lunch accounts right from the App
- Website - Direct link to GHMS Website
- Tip Line - Tip Line for reporting school safety concerns (option for pictures and video)
- Social Media - Access to GHMS social media – Twitter and Facebook
- Language - Viewable in 32 different languages
Order your yearbook by October 27th - Click on the button below!
Click here to order your yearbook. All orders need to be made online . The deadline to order a 2017 yearbook is October 27, 2017.
- October 25th - Quarter 1 Report Cards go home with students
- January 5th – Quarter 2/Semester 1 Report Cards go home with students
- March 21st – Quarter 3 Report Cards go home with students
- May 31st – Final Report Cards mailed home
- Stay updated with parent portal: https://fortmill.powerschool.com/public/home.html
- Need to enroll in parent portal - contact our school registrar Dawn Fite at: firstname.lastname@example.org
6th Grade WEB Assembly and Activities, August 15th - Highlights:
- We learned GHMS traditions.
- Sixth graders need to use the academic skills they already know to be successful in Middle School.
- Sixth graders should not be afraid to use their own style and develop their own interests.
- It is alright for sixth graders to make different choices from their friends.
- Academic success happens over time through good decision making and investments each day.
- It is easy to pull people down with words or actions, but hard to pull people back up.
- Surround yourself with people that bring you up and support good decisions.
- The GHMS administration and faculty are excited to have our new sixth grade Bulldogs on campus. It is going to be a great year!
- All 2017-2018 athletes must have a physical on file dated after April 1st, 2017.
- All fall athletes must pay the $100.00 athletic fee one week prior to the first contest.
- Athletic contest admittance price - $3.00 for adults and $2.00 for students
- GHMS PTA Student/Parent packets will came home Thursday, August 17th!
- The PTA would like all packets returned to homeroom teachers by Friday, August 25th.
- PTA Packets include membership forms, Spirit Gear, VIC Card sign-up information, Blue Ice forms, Dawg Debit Forms, One Time Donation Forms, and Volunteer forms.
- The PTA strives to support the GHMS administration, teachers, and students with enhancements that school funding does not cover, such as additional technology, classroom materials, educational programs, and school improvements.
Link your Harris Teeter VIC Card to GHMS (you can link to more than one school/organization):
Name of School – GHMS
TIE Account # is – 2247 (GHMS PTA)
TIE Account # is – 1019 (GHMS Athletic Booster Club)
We received over $4000.00 in donations from Harris Teeter last year due to VIC Cards!