Messages from Memorial
WE ARE VIKINGS WITH HEART!
HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM THE MEMORIAL STAFF!
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I hope that you have had a great winter break from school. We are now through two quarters of this school year and the second quarter report cards will be available on the Skyward Parent Portal on January 8. If you have any questions about your child's report card, please contact your child's teacher.
As you have heard from the office of the Superintendent, Valparaiso Community Schools will continue with eLearning on Wednesdays through the next semester. If you are in need of child care for Wednesdays, please refer to the information below. Please note that, each Wednesday, homework and technology help will be available and there will be increased contact time for teachers and the social worker. If you have already completed a technology Opt-In form this school year, you will not need to complete another. Additional information can be found on the VCS website.
It looks like winter has arrived. Please make sure that your child is appropriately dressed for outdoor recess. We go outside each day unless it is 0 degrees or lower, with wind chill, or unless it is too wet. Hats, mittens, snowpants, and boots are required to play in the snow. If you need assistance with any of those items, please contact Mrs. Seip.
With Great Respect,
Mrs. Debra Misecko
eLearning Homework Hotline
eLearning Technology Support
Dates to Remember
4 -Return to School
8 - Second Quarter Report Cards Available on the Skyward Parent Portal
13 - PTO Meeting via Zoom at 3:45 p.m.
13 - PTO Family Night at Panda Express (10:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.)
15 - Discovery Fair entries due today
18 - No School today - Martin Luther King Day
19 - Memorial Reads a Book begins
10 - PTO Meeting via Zoom at 3:45 p.m.
12 & 15 - No School - Mid-Winter Break (please note the 12th is a Snow Make-up Day and will be elearning if needed).
15 - PTO Family NIght at Buffalo Wild Wings
"Memorial Reads A Book" Coming Soon
Discovery Fair Project Details
Submission of the Project:
Please submit a short video (1 min or less) of your child explaining their project. A picture of the project is also acceptable. Please submit all projects to email@example.com
12/16/20: The Project Idea Form is due. Please turn the form into the school office or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: T-shirts will be ordered over the holiday break
Winter Break: Kids work on projects
1/15/21: Project submission due date via email
Reminders for Remote Learners
- Congrats on learning how to navigate this tricky way of learning. You are doing great! It is really fun for us to see you during your live sessions.
- Please remember to be ready for your Zoom sessions on time. Being ready means that you are logged on, have removed distractions from your learning area, put away all food and drinks, and have the needed school supplies ready to go.
- Keep your computer on mute until you are ready to speak. Keep in mind when your computer is not on mute, the entire classroom is hearing all noises from your home. Family discussions can be distracting.
- Remote student attendance is determined by the students' completion of the class participation for the day, whether it is one or more live sessions.
- If your child is ill and cannot participate, please inform your child's teacher and the office in the morning.
- Classroom teachers will let you know if there are books or materials to pick up. When necessary, you will have contactless pick up in the front vestibule. Please come during office hours, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Habit #5 - Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
Memorial continues to focus on sharing The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Dr. Stephen Covey. We will talk about one of the 7 Habits each month. The January Habit is Habit #5 - "Seek First to Understand,Then to be Understood." The most important parts of habit 5 is to be an empathetic listener and to listen for understanding. Understanding should come before responding. For more information please read more from Dr. Stephen Covey's website.
Love and Logic Parent Classes are Still Available
We are so excited to announce the PTO Executive Board for the 2020-2021 school year and greatly appreciate their willingness to work in these valued positions.
President - Kristen Elinkowski
Vice President - Rose Gutshall
Treasurer - Megan Taylor
Secretary - Rae Smedley
Stay tuned for more information coming about 20-21 PTO events. They will be shared in the Memorial Newsletter, on the Memorial Elementary PTO Facebook page, and the Memorial PTO Website.
Box Tops for Education Continues
THE NEXT PTO MEETING WILL BE AT 3:15 on December 9 via ZOOM (link will be emailed that week.)
Reminders from Memorial
- Please make sure your child has the appropriate outdoor wear for the weather. We will go outside everyday unless it is 0 degrees, with wind chill, or if it is too wet.
- Please make sure that you are screening for Covid 19 symptoms before sending your child to school. This link can take you to the VCS Return to Learn Plan and the screening guidelines.
- Thank you for following your dismissal plans as written.
- We recognize that family situations change from week to week for various reasons, and we will accommodate weekly dismissal plans as needed. Those plans need to be in the office by 10 a.m. on Monday morning. That gives us time to communicate with all stakeholders and to make provisions for assigned seats, if needed.
- Unfortunately we cannot accommodate mid-day switches for convenience, as it is difficult to make sure all of our safety provisions can be in place and that we can communicate the change with the appropriate personnel. If it is truly an emergency, please call the school office to discuss your needs.
- If your child gets picked up in a car from school, please continue to follow the correct times for lining up: Last names of A-K dismissal begins at 3:10 and last names beginning L-Z start dismissal at 3:20.
- Morning supervision and breakfast begin at 8:50. Please drop off your child after 8:50. If they would like to eat breakfast we will send them right in. All other students will be let in the building at 9:00 a.m. The tardy bell rings at 9:15.
- Pick up and drop off should only be done along the school on the curb on Milton Street. Students should not be dropped off or picked up in the school parking lots. The parking lots are not supervised for safety.
- Please consider putting a spare mask in your child's backpack. Some students are experiencing mask malfunctions during the school day.
- Please refrain from sending your child to school in flip flops. Flip flops are not safe on the playground and are also likely to break during play.