Newell Family Sunday Message 09/10
September 10th, 2023
Thanks to all who are participating in Book Blast, we are doing great raising funds for our students' home libraries! We have a restaurant night Monday night for PTA and PICTURE DAY on Friday. More info on both below. Have a great week!
- Mr. Balcom
Photo of the Week
Building stamina while reading and learning to get lost in our books!
Morning Move it Club
On Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays, the UNL Extension will again be offering the Morning Move-It Club at Newell before school. Students in Grades 3-5 can come and get moving from 7:30am to 7:50am.
- 20 Lanyards will be available in a bucket next to Planty Plant by Door #1.
- Students must EAT BREAKFAST FIRST before going to Morning Move-It Club.
- Students take one lanyard and then go to the gym.
- If the lanyards are gone, the Club is full for today, try again another day.
Fall Picture Day 📸
ALL students will have their pictures taken THIS Friday September 15th.
GIYB Fall Extravaganza On-the-Go GBB Clinic 2023
This is a biannual event held for girls grades 2nd-5th. There is no cost. This event is free. You are welcome to come to all sessions or just one session.
Grand Island Senior High Girls Basketball Staff and GIYB are excited to introduce, the bi-annual event, of the elementary school tour “on-the-go” clinic. These clinics will be hosted at all 13 local elementary schools. You are welcome to sign up to all of them or come for a few. The skills we will be working on are ball handling, rebounding, defense on and off the ball, lay-ups, set shooting, shooting on the move, finishing through defense, pivots, screens, and the LOVE for the game. If your daughter is in grades 2nd-5th please sign them up. Join us! Sign up here… https://forms.gle/akcV4yoy9Q7huk5B8
👥 Newell PTA Corner 👥
👥 Next PTA Meeting
Come meet and greet your Newell PTA and find out what we are all about!
Monday, September 18th at 7:00 pm at Newell.
PTA's mission is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children.
Your voice matters and we want you to be involved!
Click Here to Join: https://forms.gle/4KW6E9KYYnZN4PMaA
👥 Box Top for Education School
Did you know our school is a Box Top for education school? It’s super easy to help our school raise extra funds!
- Download the Box Top for Education app!
- Choose our school— A B Newell Elementary School
- Go grocery shopping!
- Scan every receipt just to make sure you’re not missing anything!
- Repeat steps 3&4 as often as you need to!
📆 Important Dates Coming Up 📆
Monday September 11th
- Texas Roadhouse Dine to Donate (4pm to 10pm)
Tuesday September 12th
- 🏐 Husker Spirit Day for Volleyball
Thursday September 14th
- Discovery Kids Club starts after school. 3:05pm to 5:05pm.
Friday September 15th
- School Picture Day for all students.
Thursday September 21st
- PTA Movie Night, Outside! Mario Movie starting at approximately 8pm.
Friday September 22nd
- No school for students.
Tuesday October 24th
- Newell PTA Family Night at Helgoth's Pumpkin Patch
Keep up with our FULL Calendar of EVERYTHING going on here: http://bit.ly/newellcal
This is the Way!
Enjoy these photos from last week!
Click to zoom in.
♻️ REPEATED MESSAGES ♻️
Important messages we've sent previously.
♻️ Students Who are Sick
Parents, there is a lot of illness going around. Please monitor your child for symptoms.
Description of Fever:
- A fever is a temporary increase in body temperature, usually caused by an illness.
- In most mild, two to five day, childhood illnesses, fever is lowest in the morning, rises in the afternoon, and will be the highest in evening and night. As the child begins to recover, morning temperatures will be normal with fever still present later in the day.
- Students with a temperature of 100 F or more may be sent home from school.
- Students may return to school when their temperature has remained below 100.0 for 24 hours without fever reducing medication.
♻️ Weather Updates and School Cancellations
Social media posts as well as a phone call, email or text message will inform you of urgent announcements and weather emergencies. Please be sure our office has your most current telephone and email information.
♻️ School Times:
A regular school day begins at 8:00am and dismisses at 3:05pm, Monday through Friday. Students may be dropped after 7:30am. Students must be picked up by 3:15pm.
Please make your child aware of his/her after school plan. If transportation or daycare plans change, please call the office so we can let your child’s teacher know. Thank you.
We start our school day right at 8:00am. It is VERY important that your child is in class ready to learn at 8:00. Breakfast is served from 7:30am to 7:50am. We are unable to serve students breakfast after 7:50am. If your child needs to eat breakfast at Newell, plan to have them on campus with enough time to get to our breakfast line by 7:50. Students arriving after 7:50 should go to their class lines.
♻️ Updates from GIPS Nutrition Services
- Meals: Breakfast and Lunch are served at school each day. Breakfast begins at 7:30am.
- Meal costs can be found HERE.
- Funds should be added to the student account through LINQConnect, or check or cash can be given to the cafeteria staff.
- Free and Reduced meal applications can be found on LINQConnect or picked up at the school office or the Kneale Administration building.
- Ala carte items may be purchased as long as students have money on account or in hand. Students are encouraged to select a meal first for the best nutrition.
ALL visitors need to check in at the office and wear given identification while in the school. All visitors must ring the buzzer at door #1. Our staff is busily working with students during the school day. If visiting Newell to speak with a staff member, you may be asked to make an appointment at a later time.
♻️ Birthday Treats:
Birthdays may be celebrated in each child’s classroom. Families are NOT required or expected to provide treats or gifts. However, if you want to offer treats, please provide healthy snacks that are individually packaged. Cupcakes, cookies, donuts, etc. will not be allowed.
♻️ Student Cell Phones:
As cited on page 34 of the GIPS Student Handbook:
"Students in grades Pre-K-5 are discouraged from bringing ECDs (Electronic Communication Devices) to school."
If you need to send an Electronic Communication Device with your student, the handbook states:
"Phones should be kept either turned off, or on silent following the rules specified by the classroom teacher."
At Newell students either keep their phones off or silent in their backpacks or they bring their phones to our secretaries in the office at the beginning of the day to keep them safe, also off or on silent. Note: your child will not be able to send or read messages or calls during the school day.
If you have questions please reach out to Mr. Balcom.
The full handbook is online here: https://www.gips.org/Page/105
Have an amazing week!
Nate Balcom- Principal
Heather Glause - Secretary
Cheryl Brax - Attendance Secretary
Jami White - Social Worker
Tiffanie Oswald - Nurse
Yolanda Seiler - Spanish Interpreter