LEAD Innovation Studio
Vol. 4, Issue 10 - October 23, 2020
NOTE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
We are entering our final week of 1st quarter, with the last day of the quarter coming Thursday, October 29th. Grade cards will be available in the parent portal on Friday, Nov. 6 by 4pm. This is a great time to check in with your student on progress and work to complete work ahead of the end of the quarter.
October 29th is a very important date for another reason as it marks the opening of the enrollment window for the spring semester. We know this is a big decision and are here to support by providing information in any way we can. Please reach out with questions you may have about in person or online learning. Here are a few things to know about LEAD students' options:
- The window runs from 10/29-11/13
- Students will remain in the same mode unless families choose to change modes in the window.
- More information can be found below and at the district website here: Park Hill Website
- PH Online and LEAD In-person use different platforms. LEAD uses Summit, PH Online uses Schoology.
- Students choosing PH Online are not guaranteed to have LEAD teachers. PH Online includes students and staff from all 3 district high schools.
- Students choosing PH Online still have access to our staff - including mentors, counselors, administrators. All LEAD students, Online and In-person are expected to join weekly meetings with mentor groups on Wednesdays.
We know this is a difficult decision with many considerations, we are happy to clarify any questions or concerns you have with either learning mode.
Student shout outs!!
We have our big screen up and running at lunch! It is so cool. Our students listen to music and watch our daily announcements while eating. We love it! One of the things we are showcasing is our students and their accomplishments. We would love parents to help us with this!
- If your student has an upcoming birthday feel free to submit a picture and special message! They will get their own page wishing them happy birthday!
- Has your student participated in a fall sports or activity at the home high schools? Do you have a picture to share with us congratulating them on a job well done? We would love to share a picture of them participating in the sport or activity or wearing their uniform! You can also share a personal best or a special game that stands out! They will get their own page!
- Has your LEAD Senior decided on their future plans? Have they declared a college, trade school, or military? Again, we want to highlight them on our big screen! Send us picture and inform us of their future plans. We would love to highlight all of our Seniors this year at LEAD.
- Does your student have other accomplishments that don’t fit into the above three categories? Feel free to share those with us too!
Submit your Shout Out by completing this form: https://forms.gle/65rF3tGjPdT3UQRt7.
Dr. Sarah Eisenmenger
LEAD Assistant Principal
FOR THE CLASS OF 2021 . . .
How would you like college scholarship money for your senior?
Your student is encouraged to participate in the 4th Annual Park Hill School District Scholarship Initiative Program! The Park Hill School District has partnered with several area colleges and universities who have agreed to offer various merit based and need based scholarships to the Class of 2021.
With your permission, the District will send your student’s academic records (transcript, ACT scores, GPA, class rank, gender, and ethnicity) to these partner institutions. The colleges and universities will evaluate your student’s individual information and consider them for various scholarship opportunities based on their specific merit and need based criteria.
It is our hope that, early next semester, a Scholarship Initiative Showcase (see details below) will be held for LEAD, Park Hill South and Park Hill High School seniors, and their parents/guardians. At this event, your student will learn about the scholarships they are being offered from these partner schools. You will have an opportunity to meet with college representatives and learn more about the exciting programs and opportunities, as well as the next steps in the application/admission process.
· Over 300 PHS and PHHS seniors from Class of 2020 were offered scholarships!
· A total of over $100 Million in scholarships were offered!
· 20 area colleges and universities participated!
Save the date…..
· Scholarship Initiative Showcase – January 27, 2021 (tentative, pending health and safety conditions; February 3 is the inclement weather backup date), 6:00-7:30pm at Park Hill South High School. For LEAD, Park Hill South and Park Hill High School students and parents/guardians.
** Special invitations for those receiving scholarships will be sent out in advance.
· Financial Aid Presentation – February 3, 2021, 7:30-8:15pm at Park Hill South High School Auditorium. A local university financial aid director will be leading the program. FAFSA, grants, loans, scholarships, and other sources of financial aid will be discussed.
** All students and families are welcome to attend!
** To participate ** All you need to do is give us permission to share your student’s information. Please follow these instructions to give your permission by Thursday, October 29:
- Log-in to the Infinite Campus Parent Portal (see instructions for doing so here).
- Click on the Surveys tab.
- Select the Park Hill School District Scholarship Initiative survey.
We are excited about this opportunity for your student, and are looking forward to working with you! If you have questions, please contact your student’s counselor.
Dr. Ryan Stanley, Principal
LEAD Innovation Studio
Amanda Shanks, Last Names, A-K
Rachel Colvin, Last Names, L-Z
1/8 page - Maximum 2 pictures, 25 words - $15.00
1/4 page - Maximum 4 pictures, 50 words - $27.00
Please use this form to create your senior salute and upload photos:
- Photos taken from social media are likely too low of resolution to be usable.
- A reminder that copyrighted material is not allowed and will be rejected.
- Be sure to include the appropriate signature (i.e. "Love, Mom and Dad").
- Do NOT exceed the word limit or yearbook staff will edit/cut for you.
- Staff reserves the right to edit all content for grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Staff reserves the right to refuse content not suitable for student publications or for violating copyright laws.
- We will design and edit ads for consistency and clarity, so please do not send a completely designed ad. You are simply submitting image(s) and a personal message.
- Once your order has been approved, the fee will be entered in Infinite Campus where it can be paid.
- Senior Salute orders DUE November 25
If you have questions, please contact yearbook adviser Melanie Farber: email@example.com
Parent Advisory Meeting
Our 1st quarter meeting will be held at 7pm on Monday Evening 10/26. The current plan is to hold that meeting via Zoom (link to be shared).
Here is an Agenda for that meeting:
- Academic Awards Update
- Spring semester enrollment
- Building updates
- Parent Committees
If you would like to submit additional topics or questions, please use this link: Parent Advisory Topic/ Question Form.
Here is the meeting invite information:
- Topic: LEAD Quarter 1 Parent Advisory Meeting
- Time: Oct 26, 2020 07:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 988 6292 4486
JOSTENS - Class rings & Graduation information
- October 29 & 30 - Senior class meeting. Socially distanced. Grad announcements & cap/gown information packets distributed. Diploma names collected at this time.
- November 2 (5:30 pm) - Zoom parent graduation town hall
- November 3 & 5 (lunch periods) - Grad announcement & cap/gown order day
- November 12 & 13 - Additional grad announcement & cap/gown order day
- January 21 & 22 - Sophomore class ring premier (socially distanced class meeting). Order/information packets distributed
- January 25 & 26 (lunch periods) - Class ring orders
- February 2 & 4 - Additional ring orders
- March 12 (lunch periods) - Grad announcement delivery
- March 17 - Additional grad announcement delivery
- April 8 & 9 (lunch periods) - Class ring delivery
- April 15 (lunch periods) - Cap/gown delivery
- April 21 - Additional cap/gown delivery
SENIORS A+ DEADLINES!!
Here is a list of important "To-Do" items for Seniors who are planning on receiving an A+ scholarship. Depending on first or second semester graduation, these items should be done no later than December (fall graduate) or late April (spring graduate). For any of the items that need to be submitted, please submit them directly to your home high school's A+ coordinator and NOT Ms. Villalobos at LEAD. Ellen Reys at PHHS: firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Owens at PHS: email@example.com
ASAP: Parents will need to help with this step and use last year's tax return. Students need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forms due . All FAFSA information is available at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
December or April: A+ Attendance appeals & documentation due (if necessary)
December or April: ALL Mentoring and Tutoring hours (50) due
December or April: Final Senior Reflection due (will be sent to your school e-mail)
December or April: Complete Final Transcript Request through Naviance (transcript & A+ funds will be delayed if not completed)
Second Semester Enrollment Information
Just as in this fall semester, families will choose between in-person and online learning for their children.
We will again have all students who choose the in-person option in one of the three modes, depending on how bad the pandemic is in our area: 100% in-person mode, split mode (we are currently in this mode), and distance mode.
· Park Hill Online:
This is once again a fully online option for Park Hill students.
Because surveys showed us that we will have some students returning to in-person and some moving to Park Hill Online, we know we will need enough time to develop schedules and make a new staffing plan based on the updated enrollment numbers. Beginning on October 29, families and students will choose between the two learning options, and they will have until November 13 to make their decisions. This allows us enough time to tell the teachers the plan so they can prepare.
Bus Shuttle Assignments
Starting Monday, October 26, all bus riders will be assigned a specific shuttle they will board to and from the home high schools to LEAD. We are taking this safety precaution as a way to keep our numbers low and safely distance on our busses. Students will be given their shuttle assignment on Monday during their Community Time block. We will dismiss students a few minutes early on Monday to practice getting on the correct shuttle from LEAD.
Should parents or students have any questions please contact Assistant Principal Shari Waters.
ATTENTION LEAD/PHHS STUDENTS
ATTENTION PARK HILL SOUTH/LEAD STUDENTS
If you plan on taking the AP test for a class you have this semester on your schedule, you must have a $95.00 check turned in to Dr. Eisenmenger by November 2. If you don't have a check turned in by that date, you will not have a test ordered. Please make the check out to Park Hill South. If you have questions, please see Dr. Eisenmenger.
Freshmen Counselor Meetings for ICAP
Hello, LEAD Freshman!
We hope your school year is off to a great start. It’s time for us to meet to discuss your ICAP (Individual Career and Academic Plan) to map out your 4 Year Plan of high school courses. We are so excited to visit with each of you to answer any questions or see how we might be able to help.
Meetings will begin Monday, October 26, and go through Friday, November 20.
- Hybrid Students – Please select an In Person time and bring your lap top to the meeting. When you sign up, your selected date and time will automatically be added to both your and your counselor’s outlook calendars. On the day of your scheduled meeting, create an e-hall pass to come meet with your counselor.
- Online Students – Please select a Zoom meeting time. When you sign up, your selected date and time will automatically be added to both your and your counselor’s outlook calendars. Your counselor will send you a zoom link for you to access your meeting.
Sign up for a meeting with your LEAD counselor, here:
Mrs. Shanks (Last Names A-K): https://calendly.com/amanda-shanks/freshman-icap-individual-counselor-meeting
Mrs. Colvin (Last Names L-Z): https://calendly.com/rachelcolvin/freshman-meeting-with-mrs-colvin-last-names-l-z
We look forward to seeing you soon! --Mrs. Colvin and Mrs. Shanks
NHS Service Project - City Union Mission
Hi LEADers and parents!
NHS is doing a quick service project and we need your help! We are collecting food to make into bags for City Union Mission. As we know the holidays are joyous times but they can also be very stressful for some. City Union Mission wants to alleviate some of that stress by giving bags of food to those who are less fortunate for Thanksgiving. Here is a link to a SignUp Genius to sign up to bring in food. This will start Monday, October 19th and will close on October 29th. There will be boxes in your CT classrooms where you will drop them off. THEY MUST BE TURNED IN BY OCTOBER 30th! Please help us out by making a family’s Thanksgiving brighter! Thank you!
Grades/ Checking Progress for your Student
In-Person: to check your student's progress for in-person learning, please go to Summit to see your student's dashboard. If you do not have log on information - please let us know and we can get that to you. You can also ask your student to show you their Summit dashboard - the "year" view gives a great snapshot. To learn more about what to look for (and questions to ask your student) view the brief parent onboarding videos below.
Online: to check your student's progress for online learning you need to view student grades in Infinite Campus. Some select classes have had some technical issues with grades posting from Schoology - we are working to resolve that. If you don't see grades entered in Infinite Campus, you can see progress in Schoology. We can support with parent access to both Infinite Campus and Schoology if needed - in the meantime, your student can show you their Schoology and Infinite Campus information.
As always - please monitor your student's progress, ask them about their goals and plans, and reach out with questions or concerns to your student's facilitator, mentor, counselor, or administrator. Mrs. Graham can support with questions regarding access to any of the platforms (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Schedule Week of 10/26 - 10/30
Monday: In person day for last name A-K
Tuesday: In person day for last name L-Z
Wednesday: Distance learning day for all
Thursday: In person day for last name A-K
Friday: In person day for last name L-Z
- Food Drive: Through October 29
- October 26th: 7:00pm Parent Advisory Committee
- October 29th: End of First Quarter
- LEAD clubs will meet on the following dates after school. If you need to take the bus, please sign up by using this form https://forms.gle/o8jnCTBunC1uo6oCA.
- Nov 10 and 12
- Dec 8 and 10
- Jan 12 and 14
- Feb 9 and 11
- March 9 and 11
- April 13 and 15
- May11 and 13