Mosaica Online Happenings
January 28 - February 1 2013
Upcoming Dates to Remember
- Thursday, January 31st: Parent Ed Meeting @ 8:30pm Eastern in Julie's office
- Friday, February 1st: Advisement Meeting in Julie's office @ 2pm Eastern
- Monday, February 4th: Last day for new HS students to begin if the student has not already been enrolled in a previous school for the semester
- Thursday, February 7th: Parent Ed Meeting @ 8:30pm Eastern in Julie's office
- Monday, February 18th: President's Day Holiday
- **Beginning August 28th, all adjunct teachers must submit invoices to Brenda McCullers on the 14th and 28th of the month**
Staff Spotlight -
I have a teaching background in a variety of settings. I have taught in the traditional classroom setting K-8th grade, in a home schooling charter school where I guided families in their child's education (even home schooled my own children), taught in a K-3 classroom and recently Mercury Academy. I knew at an early age that I wanted to become a teacher and it has been the best decision. It's important to do a job you love and I've found it with teaching.
I am a life-long learner and hope to pass that on to my students. I have taken many classes in how to teach reading and writing ( I currently worked on my Masters in Writing). I began writing a novel during these classes that I am still working on and plan to publish in the future.
*Please keep Elaine Gaughf-Smith in your thoughts- she is recovering from surgery and will be beginning chemotherapy in approximately one month.
*As always, please keep Barbara Noel-Williams in your thoughts- she is a WARRIOR in her fight against cancer!!!!
Let me know of any concerns or celebrations within our Mercury family!
End of the Semester/Grading Period is HERE!!!!
Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns - the deadlines stated are very important!
- The semester ends for AZ, CA, & CO on Friday January 18th!
- Monday-Tuesday January 28-29th: Performance Ed Make-up Testing
- Wednesday, January 30: Advisors verify that all PSAPs are fully complete (no missing information).
- Friday, February 1: Report cards & PSAPs issued
Art Club has been studying the popular art of photography. Photography is a form of visual art that can take an artist many places. There are portrait photographers, landscape photographers, food photographers, science and forensic photographers and so much more! This week our artists took photography into their own hands and submitted digital images inspired by the nature photos taken by American artist Art Wolfe. Here is a great nature photo by High School Art Club member Hannah Pichler!
If you would like to learn more about the photography of Art Wolf, check out this link to read all about him:Photographer's Quest To Seek Out Nature's Best Camouflage Artists
- 3-5th grade book club is currently reading The Littlest Knight, Written and Illustrated by Carol Moore
- The middle school book club is continuing with the novel, The Red Pyramid.
- The high school book club is beginning the classic novel by T.S.Elliot, The Great Gatsby.
What Is Going On In Other Mercury Locations?
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Muskegon Heights, Michigan
You will receive updates here that will pertain to our students in any of these locations!
- be sure to consult the various calendars in D2L for these locations
Teachers PLEASE be sure you are keeping your D2L grade book updated. Whenever a program needs grades for a progress report, we export the D2L grade book current average. Thank you!
- Mexican Holiday - Feb 4
- Feb 1 and 4 - Prof Dev days
- Feb 18 and 19 - Winter Break
- 2nd Semester begins January 27th - our Sunday, but India's Monday:)
- Feb 25 - Mar 1 - Winter Break
Tip #2 Start your day as you always do:
• Eat a good breakfast.
• Think of what you will do to relax after you get home from school.
• Think Positive!
Scaled Score ranges indicate the interquartile range that the average student in a particular grade level should be scoring at various points during the year. You may check your students' scores by following these steps:
- Log in to www.edperformance.com
- Select 'District Reports'
- Select 'Current Scores' under Performance Reports
- Select a 'Summary' report from your student group's Reading, Math, LA or Science tests
- Scroll to the bottom and change the Time Frame dates to January 22, 1013 to January 31, 2013
- Select OK. You should now be able to view the scores from this round of testing.
Online Paragon Nights!
The week of January 28th... it will be a video posted for all to see and enjoy!!!
And last but not least..... Your joke of the week
A young female teacher was giving an assignment to her Grade 6 class one day. It was a large assignment so she started writing high up on the chalkboard. Suddenly there was a giggle from one of the boys in the class.
She quickly turned and asked, "What's so funny Pat?"
"Well teacher, I just saw one of your garters."
"Get out of my classroom," she yells, "I don't want to see you for three days."
The teacher turns back to the chalkboard. Realizing she had forgotten to title the assignment; she reaches to the very top of the chalkboard. Suddenly there is an even louder giggle from another male student. She quickly turns and asks, "What's so funny Billy?"
"Well miss, I just saw both of your garters."
Again she yells, "Get out of my classroom!" This time the punishment is more severe, "I don't want to see you for three weeks."
Embarrassed and frustrated, she drops the eraser when she turns around again. So she bends over to pick it up. This time there is an burst of laughter from another male student. She quickly turns to see Little Johnny leaving the classroom.
"Where do you think you are going?" she asks.
"Well teacher, from what I just saw, my school days are over."