By: Emma Martin
- Athens is one of the oldest cities in Europe. The first Greek settlers lived there over 7000 years ago.
- One of the most famous Greek Temples is the Parthenon. It was built in 438 BC for Athena, who was the Greek Goddess of Wisdom and Tactical Warfare.There is a 60 ft. tall statue of Athena in the Parthenon. The Parthenon is one of the most popular attractions for Greek tourists.
- In 1453 AD, Greece fell to the Turkish Ottoman Empire. Greece was under the Ottoman Empire for 376 years until they were freed in 1829.
- There are many Ancient Greeks who have been credited with inventing mathematical ideas that are used today. Greek mathematicians include Pythagorus, Euclid, Archimedes, Apollonius, Philosophers Plato, and Socrates.
- Greece held the first ever world olympic series in 1896.
- There is an exact replica of the Parthonon in Nashville, Tennesee.
The Greek National Anthom Lyrics
All About Greece
The capital city of Greece is Athens. Greece is a country in southeastern Europe consisting of 2 mainland peninsulas and Hundreds of islands throughout the seas near Greece. It's often called the birthplace of Western civilization, and Athens retains ancient landmarks including the 5th-century-B.C. and Parthenon temple. Greece is also known for its beaches, from the black sands of Santorini to the party resorts of Mykonos. The picture beside the paragraph is a picture of Athens, Greece.
All Greek children are required to go to school from ages six to fifteen. In the Greek system, they have to pay to go to school. Greece has public and private school, and most attend public schools, but some go to private schools. They also take classes in ancient Greek and religion. Many Greek students have tutors who help them after school. Tutors help the students learn different languages and other subjects, as well as prepare for college exams. Extra learning means extra work for the students and extra money for the parents, but parents want their children to get the best education that they can.
Government and Industries
The President's name is Prokopis Pavlopoulos, and the Prime Minister is Alexis Tsipras. The politics of Greece takes place in a parliamentary representative elected republic, whereby the Prime Minister (Alexis Tsipras) of Greece is the head of government, and of a multi-party system. Greece's main industries are tourism, shipping, industrial products, food and tobacco processing, textiles, chemicals, metal products, mining and petroleum. Greece is a very, very poor country, the government prays to have what they can get. The government was bankrupted once, which means they had absolutly 0 Euro, and was broke.
Greece's main industries are tourism, shipping, industrial products, food and tobacco processing, textiles, chemicals, metal products, mining and petroleum.
Language and Religion
Greece's language is Greek. Some words that can tranlate are Storge: Love or affection- parent and child, Acne: A peak of a mountain, Agora: a store, Ethos: accustomed place, and Kudos: Fame or glory.
The most common religion in Greece is Greek Orthodox (98%). The other religions are only 2%. The Greek Orthodox goes to church every Saturday.
The picture on the Slide is the Greek Alphabet.