Summer Edition - July 2020
A Note from Ms. Owens
It is hard to believe that August arrives this weekend. The normal hustle and bustle of preparing for the start of the school year has a lot more work this time. Our teachers have been attending virtual trainings and learning new tools to enhance student learning. Our staff have been in frequent contact with families to confirm enrollment and to answer questions about tuition and reopening. Our maintenance team has been working to prepare our classrooms and workspaces. I would like to say a special thank you to those people who have stepped forward to serve on our Health & Safety and Academic Reopening Teams. They have been participating in weekly meetings and their contributions have been vital to making strong progress.
I have several thank yous and congratulations to mention for our school community.
- Thank you to the Athletics Board for using proceeds from the sale of face masks to purchase face masks for our faculty and staff. We are very grateful for their generosity.
- Thank you to a generous Dream Raffle winner. They donated some of the proceeds from their winning ticket to St. Catherine for tuition assistance and a gift card for each teacher.
- Congratulations to the Krull family. They are the winners of the Tuition Raffle!
- And finally, we offer our congratulations to our First Communicants and Confirmandi who will be receiving these sacraments in the coming days and weeks. We offer our heartfelt prayers that they continue to grow in their faith and recognize God's unconditional love for them.
We are blessed that many St. Catherine families volunteer their time with both the school and the church. All adults who volunteer for the church or the school must be Virtus certified. Part of the certification process involves attending an approved workshop. If you are considering volunteering at St. Catherine during the coming year and are not already Virtus trained, I encourage you to take advantage of the remote training sessions currently being offered. You can sign up for a remote session at the button below. In the drop down menu, choose Chicago.
A Bit More News
- Like many events that involve large gatherings, we are reimagining the procedures for Packet Pick Up so we can run the event smoothly. We will share out the details as soon as we are able.
- Our PK -1 teachers are redesigning what Supply Drop Off will look like for their students and families. Stay tuned for more details.
- Teachers have made some modifications to student supply lists. They are available at the button below.
- If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email. Scroll down to see local businesses we can support.
Please pray for our nation, for our communities, for our brothers and sisters who are tired and broken, for our brothers and sisters working to keep us safe, and for own sorrows. We are all - each and every one of us - beloved children of God.
Charge On 5K
Time to dust off those running shoes, the Charge On 5K is going virtual! Due to the COVID-19 virus and these unprecedented times, we have decided to pivot and make the Annual Charge On 5K a virtual event. You can run anytime, anywhere, with anyone from August 15-August 22. You may submit your times on the Charge On website and there will be awards for the overall top male and female.
Anyone who registers by August 3 will receive their t-shirt before the race. Anyone who registers after August 3 will receive their shirt in the mail after the conclusion of the race. Registration will remain open until Saturday, August 22.
This was not the 10th annual that we were expecting, so we are going to call this the 9.5 Annual Charge On Virtual 5K, and we will celebrate the 10th Annual in 2021 when we can all be together.
Packet Pick up is TBA.
As we prepare for the fall, here is a great way to get the family together and run/walk in celebration of a new school year, however that may look!
Reopening Our School
The schedule for the first six days of school is pictured below. (It is also included in the overview of the reopening plan.) You'll notice that we have modified dismissal time which allows for the gradual lengthening of the school day and provides more time to adjust to the new procedures and protocols that will be part of our school day.
Thursday, August 20 and Friday, August 21 are marked as Orientations Days. All students - both new and returning - will participate in one of the Orientation Days based on the students' last names. Parents and other family members will not attend these Orientation Days other than drop-off and pick up.
Our Church is Open!
- Saturdays - Mass at 4PM
- Sundays - Mass at 9:30AM and 11:30AM
In order to attend, parishioners must sign up online. The sign up is available below. Be sure to read the protocols that must be followed by those attending Mass in-person.
Ways to Support Our Local Small Businesses
If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email.
This restaurant is owned by the same family that owns Bar 106, where our Queen of Hearts Raffle is hosted.
Queen of Hearts Raffle
While Queen of Hearts has been paused, the SCA community can support the owners of Bar 106, the local business that hosts our Queen of Hearts drawings, by ordering curbside pick up from The Whistle Sports Bar and Grill.