Monthly Newsletter for Child Nutrition Administrators
LISTEN TO THE LATEST NEWS
EMERGENCY PROCUREMENT UPDATE
Emergency procurement requests are no longer necessary for supply chain shortages, per new USDA guidelines; therefore, CEs do NOT need to complete the emergency procurement jot form for these supply chain shortages. Instead, CEs must maintain documentation (emails are okay) showing product discontinuation, price increases, etc. This documentation will be sufficient for Procurement Reviews.
NEW TEMPLATES FOR VERIFICATION
TDA has released new SSO templates for verification to ensure households know that they will still receive free meals for this school year. Find the new templates here.
SY20-21 NSLP USDA FOODS STORAGE & DELIVERY FEES REIMBURSEMENT
NEED HELP WITH CODING BONUS FUNDS?
For those who have received the emergency operating cost and USDA warehouse reimbursements, these funds must be deposited as revenue in the current year's 240 fund. The funds should be divided between School Breakfast Program and National School Lunch Program, using the following object codes:
- 5921 - School Breakfast Program
- 5922 - National School Lunch Program
Alternatively, if the CE uses an enterprise fund to account for food services, use object codes 7952 and 7953.
USDA FOODS OPPORTUNITIES
On September 14, USDA Foods opened up opportunities for CEs:
- Round 3 Annual Surveys for Brown Box -- Limited quantities will be charged toward entitlement. Hit reopen in Surveys in TX-UNPS to select items. (Note: Only surveys for Fruits and Vegetables were reopened.)
- Bonus Round Processing Surveys -- Extra pounds are available with processors that have too much supply. This is an attempt to reduce the inventory; therefore, selections will NOT be charged toward entitlement. Check out the spreadsheet on SquareMeals to find out what is available. Then go into TX-UNPS > Food Distribution Program > Contracting Entities > Surveys. You will need to enter pounds (not cases) into the processing survey to request these. Call your ESC representative if you have questions.
- DOD will not be reopened at this time.
- Be sure to double-check your contact information in your FDP contract. In TX-UNPS, go to Operations > Contracts > Contract Packet.
YOUR TURN ON THE MIC
Tell us about your fall menu and line decor ideas. Just send your photos and videos to your ESC representative.
LOOKING FOR AN EXTRA HAND?
- A dietetic intern is looking for an internship position from January to June for one to two days per week. She is hardworking and has foodservice experience. If you are interested, reach out to Elisha.
- TCU is seeking internship positions for their dietetic interns for the spring semester. Rotation days are Tuesdays and Thursdays (8 hours each day at your set schedule). Rotations are from January through April. These interns are looking for mutually beneficial assignments that will help them learn about foodservice management. If you are interested in taking on an intern, please reach out to Jocelyn.
WE NEED YOUR FOOTAGE OF CHILD NUTRITION OPERATIONS!
Do you want to show off your awesome CN Department? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics School Nutrition Services practice group, led by our very own Joceyln Karbo, is collecting video footage and photos of current school nutrition operations to be used in upcoming projects. The idea is to better capture what is actually happening in schools instead of using stock images that do not show what we do. If you are interested in participating, please reach out to Jocelyn.
TURN UP THE VOLUME: DEADLINES APPROACHING
Stir Up Success! (Find out more here.)
National School Lunch Week
Official count for verification reporting
Attachment B Uploads due (not required for CEs only taking applications for P-EBT)
REQUEST TIME: REGISTER FOR A CLASS
HOT OFF THE REQUEST LINE
Q: I did not receive any applications for P-EBT, and we are not accepting applications for carryover (or I received applications but they were denied). Do I need to fill out the verification report in TX-UNPS?
A: Yes, some areas of the verification report will need to be completed; however, you will select that you did not complete verification. Your 0 applications and 0 error prone numbers will reflect that.
Q: I am operating SSO and not taking applications. Do I drop the students approaching the 30-day carryover?
A: Yes, you may drop the students. You do not need to send a letter unless you are accepting applications for carryover. If you are operating SSO and accepting applications for carryover, then you must follow the same processes that you usually do for NSLP, including sending this letter.
Q: If I am accepting applications for carryover, do I need to update Attachment B Uploads in TX-UNPS?
A: Yes! (Note: This is NOT the same as Attachment B, which you are not required to update if you are operating SSO.)