November 7, 2018
Veteran's Day Celebration
IN HONOR OF
India Hook Elementary School Cordially Invites a Veteran Family Member or Friend to Attend a Ceremony Honoring Those who have Served, in Times of Peace and of War.
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2018 at
India Hook Elementary School
Light refreshments for Veteran’s in Attendance from 8:00-8:30am
Students will start to parade down the halls at 8:20am
Program to Begin at 8:45 am
Please RSVP by TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 6 to INDIAHOOKPTO@GMAIL.COM with Veteran’s name & their student sponsor
Sign up to Volunteer at India Hook!
On Wednesdays students will enter the school as usual. If they eat breakfast at school then they should go there first. Otherwise, students will put their bookbags in their classrooms and begin to walk the hallways. We know that exercise increases blood flow and oxygen to the brain and we're excited about this opportunity to improve our own health and academic learning. We will walk each Wednesday until 7:30 a.m. when students will enter the classroom to start their day.
UPCOMING SPIRIT NIGHTS
Come join us at McAlisters Monday, November 13th from 5-9pm. Make sure to mention India Hook Spirit
We have scheduled a wide variety of spirit nights this semester. IHES PTO receives a percentage of proceeds from meals purchased on the scheduled nights. Each restaurant has different times and information. To get updates and reminders about spirit nights sign up for our text system by texting: @ihespto2 to 81010
McAlisters – November 13th (5:00 – 9:00pm)
Salsaritas – December 13th (4:00-8:00pm)
Veteran’s Day Assembly
Save the Date: We will be having our Veteran’s Day Assembly on Friday November 9th.
Students may invite family members and friends who have served in any branch of the US Armed Forces. Veterans are invited to join us at 8:00am in the cafeteria for light refreshments and an assembly with our students. Note: due to space and time restrictions, we ask that only Veterans (and another adult if he/she is providing transportation for the Veteran) are able to attend this event. However, if you know a Veteran who is unable to attend, each class will make a poster with the Veterans’ names, branch of service, pictures (optional), or other relevant information. Please RSVP to email@example.com or if they cannot attend, send in the Veteran’s name(s), branch of service, and a picture (optional, may not be returned) with your student.
Box Tops will be collected Every Other Friday. The next collection day is this Friday, November 9th. Please send them in an envelope or ziploc bag with your student’s name and teacher.
SAVE THE DATE
The next General PTO Meeting will be held on
Thursday November 15th at 7pm Come join us and learn about all the fun ways you can help support the students at IHES!
Thanksgiving Lunch will be Friday November 16th – please see flyer for details. We need Volunteers to collect money and serve meals. Please come early or stay late if you can assist when it is not your child’s lunch time! Thank you!
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
9 Veterans Day Assembly/BOX TOP Collection Day
13 McAlisters Spirit Night – 5:00-9:00pm
15 PTO General Meeting – 7:00pm
16 Thanksgiving Lunch
21-23 NO SCHOOL – Thanksgiving Break
30 BOX TOP Collection Day
7 Movie Night – The Polar Express
13 Salsaritas Spirit Night – 4:00-8:00pm
PTO CONTACT INFORMATION:
TEXT REMIND SYSTEM: text: @ihespto2 to 81010
School Improvement Survey
During the month of November you will be receiving a link to complete a survey for our school’s accreditation review. To continuously improve, we need your feedback.
Our school and the school district are reviewed every five years to ensure we have processes and systems in place to continuously improve. For the past 10 years, Rock Hill School District has been accredited by the AdvancED organization.
Accreditation is a quality assurance process where systems, resources, and standards are evaluated by an external body to determine if the system meets applicable standards for continuous improvement. Every five years, our school and the school district participate in the accrediting review process.
The process includes collecting data from parents, students, and staff surveys, assessing school and school district processes, and reviewing standards to determine if the school and system are on the path to continuously improve.
We really need your feedback, so please take a few moments to complete the brief survey.
Thank you and know that we value your opinions and appreciate your time!
India Hook Elementary
4th and 5th grade holiday musical dates!
The 4th and 5th graders will perform their holiday musical, Holly Jolly Jukebox, on Thursday, November 29 at 6:00 pm in the Rawlinson Road Middle School Auditorium. That morning, the children will perform for K-3rd grade at 8:30.
Friday Lunch Visits
We will have tables set up on kindergarten patio or in the center of the building for families to eat while they visit. Parents may also come have lunch on their child's birthday.
Rock Hill School District Wellness Policy
As a wellness focused school we are thrilled that our school board has approved a wellness policy. Some of the most important points of the policy are listed below.
• Candy and food will not be used as a reward for students.
• Children will have access to water during the day to stay hydrated.
• Special classroom snacks will follow the healthy snacks guidelines. Please see our website for more information about what is allowed.
• Non-food birthday recognition items are allowed if you would like to provide a treat on your child’s birthday. (Cupcakes, cookies, cakes, etc. will not be allowed.)
• Any outside snacks provided to children during school will follow our district wellness guidelines and be in sealed labeled containers with nutritional information clearly labeled. (Pizza does not meet healthy guidelines.)
• Physical activity (P.E. and Recess) cannot be withheld from a student.
• Physical activity cannot be used as a form of punishment
• All fundraisers must follow the guidelines stated in the district wellness policy.
• Valentine’s Day parties will offer a one-day exemption from wellness policy, however, all food must be clearly labeled with ingredients and nutritional information
• No home-baked items can be served to children.
• At India Hook, you may choose to bring lunch for your child occasionally on Fridays or their actual birthday. Please understand that food cannot be shared with other children.
School Improvement Committee Meeting Dates
- October 23- Fall district meeting at Central Office 6:30-8:00 (officers only)
- November 20 at 4:30 at India Hook in Media Center
- December 18 at 4:30 at India Hook in Media Center
- January 15 at 4:30 at India Hook in Media Center
- February 19 at 4:30 at India Hook in Media Center
- March 19 at 4:30 at India Hook in Media Center
- April 23 at 4:30 at India Hook in Media Center
- May 21 at 4:30 at India Hook in Media Center
Safety in Rock Hill Schools
Dear Families in Rock Hill Schools,
Like everywhere we live, work and play in our community, our schools should be a place where our children, staff, and families can feel safe and secure. We have always drilled for emergencies, equipped our buildings and buses, and trained our teachers and staff to be safe and to keep our children secure.
Our world continues to change, and concerns for safety and security all across our nation continue to increase. We must continuously adapt and improve our procedures and systems to keep Rock Hill Schools safe. Recently, we have:
- Developed situation-specific emergency response procedures,
- Increased trainings and drills for students and staff, including a district-wide reunification drill,
- Improved access control to our buildings and campuses,
- Implemented visitor screenings and background checks for volunteers,
- Updated video surveillance and alarm systems, and radio systems, and
- Strengthened cooperative relationships with local law enforcement.
In recent weeks, a heightened awareness and vigilance by students and staff has resulted in weapons being found on high school campuses. This is alarming, yet comforting to recognize our students and staff feel safe to share information that helps to make our campuses more secure. You are likely aware it is against South Carolina law to bring a weapon onto school property. The consequence is severe, including possible expulsion, arrest, and prosecution. Beginning this week, we are adapting our procedures to be even more proactive to ensure the safety of our students, staff, and guests. As allowed by state law and board policy, we will begin random on-campus weapons screenings as a means to help deter or prevent weapons from being brought on to school grounds.
Additionally, we are improving several other aspects of our overall campus safety and security efforts, including a relaunch of our “See Something / Do Something” campaign. More information will be shared soon about the various ways tips can be submitted, including anonymous two-way text messages, phone, and online through school websites. As we prepare to host a district safety and security summit next month that will include law enforcement and other community partners. Please share your questions and concerns with us at www.rock-hill.k12.sc.us/safety.
As always, please feel free to reach out to Kevin Wren, our Director of Risk, Security and Emergency Management at firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-981-1159.
Thank you for your trust and partnership.
William E. Cook, Jr., Ed.D.