5th Grade News!
For the Week of September 14 - September 18
- Analyzing point of view (first and third person)
- Recognizing foreshadowing and understanding why authors use it
- Using literary elements to make writing come alive (setting, conflict, plot, and climax)
- Classifying matter - conductors and insulators; magnetism; mixtures and solutions
- ***Brain Check Tuesday, September 15 over Matter and Density***
Multiplying whole numbers to solve problems
- Studying early English settlements in North America
Due FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 18
Math - Homework #2
Reading - Thinking Stems Reading Response Sheet
Science - Properties of Matter
Information and News
- Back to School Night: September 15, 6:00pm
- Deadline for GT Screening Parent Checklist: September 21
- Fishing Field Trip at Outdoor Learning Center - October 9. Permission slips and more information will be sent home soon.
- Packpon information went home in Tuesday folders on 9/1/15. If you would like to purchase Packpons, please return the slip and your payment. You may buy Packpons at any time during the year. Ask your child's homeroom teacher for details.
- We encourage students to bring devices such as smart phones and tablets, as we use these for instructional purposes in the classroom. We ask that these devices not be left at school, but be taken home each night.
9/18 -- Hat Day
10/2 -- Extra Recess
10/9 -- Homeroom Games
10/16 -- Board Games
Other Packpons **Dates will vary by Homeroom
Kickball w/ switch class
Lunch w/ the teacher
A Message From Read, Deed, Run:
4th and 5th graders have the opportunity to join Read, Deed, Run once again this year. During the year, the students will work toward meeting their goals of reading 26 books or 2600 pages, completing 26 deeds for our community and school, and run 26.2 miles…A MARATHON…one mile at a time! The final run is on a Saturday in May. All of the RDR programs in district meet at Rhodes Stadium for the final 1.2 miles to complete their marathon. We have a mandatory parent meeting on Tuesday, September 22 at 5:30. We will go over all of the details and expectations. This is an amazing program that will foster their love of reading, give back to the community, and accomplish a marathon! If your child is interested in joining, you can sign up now using the google form link and submit payment on the night of the meeting. All students must be registered by Monday, September 28. NO LATE FORMS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER 4:00. All payments must be submitted Friday, October 2. If you have questions, please take a look at the RDR FAQ page. If you still have any questions, please contact Laurie Haseltine firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow this link to see frequently asked questions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rQ4cds4fTdBwA2-Uga1CNr1SVkpB9isIqNaR2jlNAQA/edit?usp=sharing
Follow this link to register for TWE RDR program: http://goo.gl/forms/XxY1kE2Svv