Creating A Global Media Center
A World View Workshop
GCS Media Specialists Attend a workshop on Creating a Global Media Center
Nine GCS Media specialist from across the county attended Creating a Global Media center sponsored by the World View Workshop for K-12 Librarians, Media Coordinators, and Technology Specialists.
The LiveBinder of Resources for this workshop can be found at:
Special Thanks To Liliana Jordanov and the GCS Global Education for sponsoring our team.
Pocket Libraries for countries without Internet
Great Idea for a Service Learning Project for your library
- Creating portable digital libraries for countries that do not have internet access. The concept is to copy websites, youtube videos, TedTalks, and many other resources into a small off line hard drive devices or even a chip that allows the user to take the information with them even without internet access. They are looking for partners to help support and fund the effort to share information with countries that can't otherwise access information.
A free program of the Center for Global Initiatives, Carolina Navigators enriches the education of both UNC and K-12 students through engaged international learning.
- Culture Kits-
- FREE to reserve- Ship back for Free as well.
-Over a 100 kits from many countries available to request. They will send them to your school to help your students experience artifacts from that country.
They can keep them for 3 weeks but reserve them at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Where in NC poster link Great activity to see the impact North Carolina has globally.
- The Danger of a Single Story
Find Out More
Find Out More
#WeNeedDiverseBooks: Multicultural Literature in the Media Center
- Seven Ways to Evaluate Multicultural Literature
- Evaluating Multicultural Literature for use in the classroom Article
- World View Currency Kits
- 50 Multicultural Books Every Child Should Read - http://nea.org/grants/29510.htm
- Notable Books for a Global Society - http://clrsig.org/nbgs_books.php
- Global Literature: Literature Award Listings - http://resources.primarysource.org/globalliterature
- One Green Apple by Eve Bunting
- The Composition by Antonio Skarmeta & Alfonso Ruano
- The Boy Who Loved Math: The Improbable Life of Paul Erdos by Deborah Heligman
- Lon Po Po: A Red Riding Hood Story From China by Ed Young
- Ganesha's Sweet Tooth by Sanjay Patel
- Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
- Yes! We Are Latinos by Alma Flor Ada
- Midaq Alley by Naguib Mahfouz
- When I was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago
- The Interpreter by Suki Kim
- Flight by Sherman Alexie
- International Children's Library - http://childrenslibrary.org
- Worlds of Words from university of Arizona - http://wowlit.org
- StoryJumper- http://www.storyjumper.com
- World View Global WebFriends/World View Currency Kits- http://worldview.unc.edu/k12-resources/
- Teaching Multicultural Literature Workshops- http://www.learner.org/workshops/tml/
- UNC African Studeies Center: Learning Boxes - http://africa.unc.edu/outreach/learning_boxes/index.asp
- Skipping Stones Magazines - http://skippingstones.org
- Saudi Aramco World Magazines - http://saudiaramcoworld.com
- Multicultural Children's Book Day - http://jumpintoabook.com/multicultural-childrens-book-day
- Corridos Sin Fronteras - www.corridos.org
- World book and Copyright Day - http://tinyurl.com/mnthlux
- #WeNeedDiverseBooks Campeign - http://weneeddiversebooks.tumblr.com
Challenge 20/20 -www.nais.org
- Free Internet-based program that pairs classes from schools in the US with their Counterpart classes in other countries; together
Creative Connections -www.creativeconnections.org
ePALS Classroom Exchange-www.epals.com
One to World’s Global Classroom Connections - http://globalclassroomconnections.wordpress.com
iEARN: International Education Network- www.iearn.org
Reach the World -www.reachtheworld.org
World View Global Scholars -http://worldview.unc.edu/global-resources/rotary-webfriends
Global Education Symposium
Wednesday, Oct. 21st, 8am to Thursday, Oct. 22nd, 4pm
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, United States
Global Environment Sustainability-
The K-12 Global Education Symposium is held each October in Chapel Hill, NC. This day-a-half program explores significant global issues, offers best practices in global education, and provides educators an opportunity to develop an global action plan for their classroom, school, or system.
The 2015 symposium will focus on global environment and sustainability.
Details coming soon!