Students Uniting to Make Meaningful Influences Together
To create a coalition with schools to inform and prevent substance and alcohol use and violence within our communities.
SUMMIT — JANUARY 11, 2023
USE THIS LINK FOR REGISTRATION FORM
Keynote Speakers: Jeremy Bates and Joe Fingerhut
Meet Joe - Joe Fingerhut - HOW CAN I?
Joe Fingerhut speaks from the heart about issues that are real today. He has faced adversity, suffered loss, and pursued his passions despite long odds. Joe connects with audiences using humor, magic, and relevant stories of his own adventures, and he has a knack for connecting each young person's heart with a powerful message of hope.
If you would like to schedule Joe Fingerhut for your school, please reach out and say you are from West Texas!!
1. For the past two years, the Lamb County Leaf Coalition - Hooked on Hope - has partnered with Lamb County 4-H members to organize a day camp for Littlefield children to give them a drug-free option for a couple of days in the summer. The camps have hands-on activities that are an alternative to participating in potentially harmful events otherwise. Kim Clardy, director of Hooked on Hope, will explain the process of organizing the day camp and answer questions if you'd like to plan your own event for your community.
2. Mental health is such an important topic that many avoided talking about for years. The COVID pandemic increased the need for more discussion and sharing of important resources to get help. Join us at the SUMMIT to learn what signs to look for and and where to get help if you need or someone you care about needs help with their mental health. Experts from the TTU Health Sciences Center will be leading this session.
3. Now what!--You've come to SUMMIT, how do you take those lessons back to your school? How to host a SUMMIT event at your school
2. Body Positivity
Facing my Anxiety
Anxiety isn’t you, it’s something moving through you.
It doesn’t have to take control of you.
Things to talk about:
Coping with Anxiety
What Anxiety Affects
Different types of Anxiety
Awareness of Anxiety
Neglect: it’s more than just physical
Neglect at home comes in many different ways….social, emotional, and mental
Things to talk about:
Neglect can influence the person you become
You don't always see what people go through at home
Where you come from doesn’t have to be the only way
Deal With It:
Elin Halford (lead), Ciera Gonzales, Trinity Arocha
Following life’s traumas, how do you deal with it? Many people reach for drugs, drink, experiment with risk, smoke, and vape. We are here to help you find a go-to niche that positively replaces negative activities.
A day in the life of a leader:
Trinity Arocha (lead), Ciera Gonzales, Elin Halford
What does leadership look like day-to-day? We are here to show how a full day of leadership lived over and over can make a difference in your life, your school, and your community.
The Tech Crave
We are going to be discussing the addiction of technology. Covering the topics of screen time, being distracted, how it interferes with quality time with loved ones, etc. Furthermore, we will be discussing our whys which include the problems developing with social skills, realizations, and generational adaptations.
We will be discussing the 4 “happy chemicals” which include Dopamine, Oxytocin, Serotonin, and Endorphins. We will give information about each one and how they affect daily life. Also, we will talk about triggers and how to recognize when you are gaining these chemicals.
2. Teen Relationships: Counseling Techniques
3. Drugs and Alcohol: Tonya Bonner "Learning from the Master"
2. Suicide Prevention
3. Overcoming Meth Addiction
1. Me Time Breakout Session
In Me Time, we will be discussing topics of self-care and ways to relieve stress. People will know when to take breaks and if they need to seek professional help. We also will include examples on handling stress. We also plan on having a source that people can contact if they need to.
2. Physical Health and Fitness
Other Workshops and Topics
2. Driving Safety--CROWD FAVORITE!--seatbelts, texting, alcohol, etc. Karen Peoples-Mitchel, TXDOT
3. Fentanyl--Tony Williams--DEA Narcotics Officer
4. Sex Trafficking--Amy Gonzales--Attorney General's Office
5. Digital Footprint--Emily Chong--FBI
6. Brainstorming with Iva Beck
7. Sex Trafficking--Leslie Timmons--Voice of Hope
8. Recovery in Addiction--LaTosha Doby, LCDC
9. It's Real: Suicide Prevention--Sybille Neuber AFSP
and more! with Brenda Macias, Danna Guerro, Jeremy Bates and Joe Fingerhut.