physical and changes
Any characteristic of a material that can be observed or measured without changing the identity of the material.
- Color & Shape
- length & Mass
- volume & Density(D=M/V)
The physical property of a substance change, but the identity of the substance does not change.
- changing from one state of matter to the next(ice melts to liquid boils to steam).
- melting 0 degrees and boiling point 100 degrees.
- slicing bread, melting ice, mowing lawn.
Any characteristic that gives a substance the ability to under go a change that results in a new substance.
- Flammability (ability to burn)
- Reacts with oxygen (ability to rust).
- Reacts with water(medicine diissolving in water)
A chang in the identity of a that substance due to the chemical properties of that substance.(you have a new substance)(is it reversible? no).Examples:
- Flammability(fire burning to ash)
- Reacts with oxygen (fruit rotting)
- Heat and light(vitamins can change when exposed to light
- Electricity(water can be broken down with electicity).