May Newsletter 2023
From the Principal
We are getting down to the last few weeks of school. It can be hard to not start counting down days. The reality is that we are running out of time. We still have lots to do, and we have less and less days to get it all done. I’m proud of our team at Eastside for making each day count for every one of our students.
Below are a few updates for the month of May.
Last Week of School
Monday, May 22nd will be Move Up Day. This is an opportunity for students to spend a few minutes meeting and getting to know their teacher for next year. Wednesday, May 24th will be our end of the year SOAR assembly. Field Day will be on the last day of school Thursday, May 25th. This will also be an early release day at 1:35.
As the weather warms up I want to remind everyone of a couple expectations with the dress code at school. This time of year we tend to see more shorts and tank tops. Remember tank tops aren’t allowed to have spaghetti straps. These are too thin. Shorts need to be long enough to go at least to the bottom of your fists when arms are down at the sides.
Principal Parent Focus Group
This is a time set aside for parents to meet with our principal. The purpose of this meeting is for parents to ask questions and share feedback. Mr. Gallagher will also share some of the work that teams are doing at Eastside. This is an opportunity to gain some insight to the operations of Eastside, how decisions are made, as well as provide feedback on decisions. We will meet from 8:00 to 8:45 AM on Friday, May 12th in the Eastside library.
Our PTK meets the first Thursday of each month. May’s meeting is Thursday, May 4th at 3:30. Childcare is provided. We encourage all parents to attend!
We appreciate the support from our families in ensuring that all Eastside students learn at high levels.
Here’s to a fantastic conclusion to the 2022-2023 school year at Eastside!
Learn Together, SOAR Together, the Key is Me.
From Eastside PTK:
Wow, Eastside! What an amazing Walk-a-Thon this year! With your help and the support of our wonderful community, we raised $32,904.44 -- a new school record!
We know how hard all of you worked to make this possible, and we are thrilled to direct these funds right back to our students and school. Please give yourselves a very enthusiastic pat on the back for all your effort and dedication. We appreciate you all to the moon and back!
We have some specific acknowledgements we'd like to make as well:
- Thank you, Eastside teachers and staff, for all your help in coordinating logistics, encouraging the students, and participating in the event alongside the kids. You are amazing!
- Thank you, Mr. Gallagher, for being a wonderful school leader and for being willing to accept the challenge of sleeping on the school roof if the students raised over $10,000. Well, they beat that goal twice over by raising $21,604.44! We'll be excited to greet you in your PJs this week. You're awesome!
- Thank you, Eastside students and families, for showing up once again and demonstrating how much you love our school. There's nothing we can't accomplish when we work together.
- Thank you to all the fabulous business sponsors on our list, t-shirts, and banner. It is because of your incredible generosity that we raised $11,300 from business sponsorships alone!
- Thank you, Cody Police Department, Cody Firefighters, CHS Band, Cody Enterprise, Amos Olson, and Big Horn Radio Network, for supporting the students at the event. Your presence, photos, energy, etc. took our event to the next level and really hyped up the kids.
- Thank you, Jessica Ondler and Dani Blankenship, for taking on coordinating the event once again. It was a smashing success, and we are grateful for all your hard work.
- For anyone we've missed, please forgive us and know that we see you and thank you. It takes a village.
Warm Regards on Behalf of the Eastside PTK,
Upcoming events - Mark your calendar
- May 1 - 2nd & 4th grade Music concert 6:00pm
- May 4 - Last PTK meeting of the year 3:30-4:30
- May 5 - WYTOPP testing ends
- May 5 - Talent Show 12:15
- May 10 - 4th and 5th Track meet
- May 12 - April SOAR Assembly 12:30
- May 22 - Move up day
- May 24- End of the year Assembly
- May 25 - Field Day
- May 25 - Students last day (early release @ 1:35)
- May 29 - Memorial day Eastside office closed
- June 2 - Eastside office closes for the summer
- August 2 - Eastside office opens
- August 23 - First day of the 2023-2024 School year
May Preschool Liaison Program
May 8- Movement Monday at Sunset from 1:30-2:00
May 9- Preschool Tuesday at Sunset from 2:00-3:00
May 12- Preschool Friday at Sunset from 10:00-11:00
(PCSD 6 KinderBoost students will be active participants during this program.)
May 18- Math-tastic Thursday at Eastside from 9:00-9:45 and 10:00-10:45
May 24- Book Club Wednesday at Livingston from 9:00-9:45 and 10:00-10:45
Early Childhood Community Liaison
End of the year information
Be Sun Smart
With the 4th and 5th grade track meet coming up on May 10th, warmer weather and the various outdoor field trips, please remember to send water & sunscreen to school with your students. Please encourage them to liberally apply & reapply sunscreen as necessary to avoid sunburn. A hat would make a great addition to prevent sunburn on neck, face, ears and scalp.
Just a few serious sunburns can increase your child’s risk of skin cancer later in life. Adults and children need protection from ultraviolet (UV) rays whenever they’re outdoors.
Seek shade when necessary. UV rays are strongest and most harmful during midday, so it’s best to plan indoor activities then. If this is not possible, seek shade under a tree, an umbrella, or a pop-up tent.
When possible, cover up with long-sleeved shirts and long pants and skirts to provide protection from UV rays.
Wear a hat that shades the face, scalp, ears, and neck. If your child chooses a baseball cap, be sure to protect exposed areas with sunscreen.
Wear sunglasses . They protect your child’s eyes from UV rays, which can lead to cataracts later in life.
Use a sunscreen with at least SPF (sun protection factor) 15 every time your child goes outside. For the best protection, apply sunscreen generously 30 minutes before going outdoors. Don’t forget to protect ears, noses, lips, and the tops of feet.
A note from the nurse
As this school year is coming to a close, we are preparing for the 2023-2024 school year.
If your student has medication stored in the nurse’s office, please pick it up by end of day on May 25th, or it will be disposed of per PCSD #6 policy.
If your child will continue to need medication at school next year, please print the appropriate Medication Authorization Form from the PCSD #6 website (https://www.park6.org/o/park-6 Explore → Student Health → Forms). You may bring your child’s medication (age-appropriate dose in original unopened container) and appropriate signed forms to your child’s school between August 16-22nd.
A physician’s signature / order is not required for OTC meds unless the dosage falls outside of the manufacturer’s recommendations. You will need a physician’s order for any prescription medications.
If your child currently has a Health Care Plan and/or an Emergency Care Plan, please print the appropriate plan from the PCSD #6 website and have your student’s physician update and sign the plan. A new updated plan is required at the beginning of each school year. Please bring the appropriate signed form(s) to your child’s school between August 16 - 22nd.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I will be available at Eastside until May 26th, and I will return for the new school year on August 16th.
Have a safe, healthy, and enjoyable summer!
We are excited for all the great classes that are part of PCSD 6's second year of Summer Slam! Thanks to our fantastic community partners and staff, we have a lot of different opportunities for our students.
Here is the link to the website for registration information.
Call the Office
Please call us at 307-587-4275
Reach out to your child's teacher about Class Dojo.