Volume 3, Issue 2
Information, Updates & Reminders
Sign Up Genius
A new Sign-Up Genius went out this week. Although it is broken into 15-minute intervals to accommodate a focus on Morning Message, feel free to sign up for any content area. Just be sure to select multiple time slots to accommodate whichever content area you choose.
Please sign up for a time to do the following:
- Have me OBSERVE you teaching Morning Message or a lesson in any content area followed by a brief coaching session
- Have me MODEL Morning Message or a lesson in any content area followed by a brief time to reflect/debrief
Click HERE to sign up for a time!
- Our awesome Math Curriculum Coordinators, Tammy Chandler and Penelope Kimbrough, have updated the Mathematics TEKS alignment document and First Steps Alignment Document to include Pre-K Standards! Click on the links below to see how the TX Pre-Kindergarten Guidelines align with the TEKS in the area of Math. Thank you, Tammy and Penelope, for providing a tool to further strengthen the vertical alignment between Pre-K and Kindergarten!
Morning Message is in full swing in many classrooms! The expectation for Morning Message involves three main components:
- it occurs every day
- it involves writing that conveys meaningful thoughts, and
- it is not used as a time to work in the green HWT books
Remember, Morning Message can take on several forms:
- It can sometimes be a Shared Writing Activity in which the teacher is modeling writing meaningful thoughts shared by the students and teacher.
- It can sometimes be an Interactive Writing Activity in which the teacher and students both do some of the writing about meaningful thoughts shared by the students and teacher.
- It can sometimes be an Independent Writing Activity in which the students do the writing while the teacher facilitates, monitors, and confers with each student during the process.
- It can sometimes be a combination of any of the above!
Video examples of each of the above are available in eduphoria in the Writing Domain under 'Curriculum Overview'. If you are having difficulty fitting in Morning Message and HWT, please talk with your team leader or schedule a coaching session so we can problem solve ways to uphold our Morning Message expectations!
Out & About at ECS
Managing Planned, Purposeful, Play in PPCD-3
Mr. Jones's Pre-K students are working with rekenreks in a station tub to demonstrate various ways numbers can be represented. Hamlin facilitates this activity with the students and has them find multiple ways to show a given number and then explain their thinking.
Life-Size 5 Frames
The bilingual team folded their life-size 10-frames in half to make 5-frames and created large manipulatives that corresponded with the Problem Solving Posters for students to use! In addition to large manipulatives, they also created items such as frog masks for students to wear when acting out the subtraction frog PS poster. These are great ways to get the students up and moving during instruction!
In addition to the life-size 5-frame activities, the bilingual teaching assistants worked diligently to pull/create manipulatives that corresponded with upcoming Math PS Poster lessons! After being present in planning with the teachers, the teaching assistants pulled/created the appropriate materials and bagged/labeled them. They even added small Velcro pieces to many of them so they could be manipulated by students on a large mat that the entire class could easily see!
Life-Size 5 Frames
Developmental Stages of Writing
"Fine motor skills may impact children’s ability to write legibly; however, this should not limit their opportunities to write for meaning. The child’s level of fine motor development should determine the tools and the size of the surfaces that are provided for writing experiences. Fine motor skills can be developed alongside writing and through writing as children progress through the developmental stages."
Click HERE to submit a response. Those responding by Monday, October 17'th will receive a special prize! **You must include the picture # and the corresponding stage to receive credit for your response!
CONGRATULATIONS to Michelle Donovan, Laine Evans, Elsa Gutierrez, and Courtney Peebles for winning colorful flip charts to use during Morning Message! Your responses to Clay's Pre-Kindergarten Stages of Writing examples in the last Quest were outstanding!