British Literature Research Paper
Part 4 Mrs. Burbage
The research paper must include the following as one document:
1. a. Your Name
b. Teacher name/Mrs. Burbage
c. Course British Literature Part 4
e. Title of your Research Paper-space according to MLA Style and begin
2. The research paper itself will be a minimum of 3 pages in length-double spaced (not including the Works Cited Page).
3. Works Cited page – MLA format
1. Times New Roman Size 12 Font
2. The paper itself (excludes Works Cited) should be double-spaced
3. Wikipedia is NOT allowed as a source
4. All topics must be approved by Ms. Burbage prior to writing your outline. Send me an email with your topic or give me a call, 843-324-0625.
5. 4-5 quotes should be used appropriately, with parenthetical citations
6. For the “Works Cited” page-use MLA formatting
7. Use at least 4 sources in your Works Cited
Two major types of research papers.
Argumentative research paper:The argumentative research paper consists of an introduction in which the writer clearly introduces the topic and informs his audience exactly which stance he intends to take; this stance is often identified as the thesis statement.
Thesis Statement: Cigarette smoking poses medical dangers and may lead to cancer for both the smoker and those who experience secondhand smoke.
Analytical research paper:
The analytical research paper often begins with the student asking a question (a.k.a. a research question) on which he has taken no stance. Such a paper is often an exercise in exploration and evaluation. For example, perhaps one is interested in the Old English poem Beowulf. He has read the poem intently and desires to offer a fresh reading of the poem to the academic community. His question may be as follows.How should one interpret the poem Beowulf?
Thesis Statement:Though Beowulf is often read as a poem that recounts the heroism and supernatural exploits of the protagonist Beowulf, it may also be read as a poem that served as an exemplum of heterodoxy for tenth- and eleventh-century monastic communities found in the Danelaw.