CSinPA: November 2021
CELEBRATIONS AND SHOUT-OUTS
17 local education agencies (LEAs) will soon implement CS with drones
We're pleased to announce the LEAs participating in cohort 1 of our professional learning program to implement CS with drones. In just a few days, teachers serving as their LEA’s ambassadors will begin with a day of building, flying, and coding drones.
Athens Area, Avon Grove, Blackhawk, Blast Intermediate Unit 17, Boyertown Area, Brockway Area, Chartiers Valley, Dubois Area, Franklin Regional, Gateway, Hempfield Area, Riverview Intermediate Unit 6, Montoursville Area, Pittston Area, Tri-Valley, Tunkhannock
Offered in collaboration with For the Win Robotics, this program is available to all public LEAs in Pennsylvania. We are still accepting applications for cohort 2 and cohort 3. Click here for more information.
K-12 PROFESSIONAL LEARNING
- Open to all PA K-8 educators
- Dates vary; cohorts hosted locally by IUs
- Open to PA 7-12 educators currently or will soon be teaching CS
- Registration is ongoing
School/District Teams: SCRIPT (CS strategic planning)
- Open to all PA LEAs
- Dates vary; workshops hosted locally by IUs
Open Office Hours: November 30, 3:00 - 5:00 pmNo registration needed.
MORE RESOURCES AND OPPORTUNITIES
CSK5 goals campaign
- Open to PA elementary schools
- Share your school’s CS goals by November 30 to be entered into a special drawing for a class set of micro:Bit.
CSinPA monthly meet-up: November 17, 3:00 - 4:00 pm (virtual)
- Open to anyone interested in CS education
- Featured topic: Preparing for CSEdWeek 2021
AIinPA Think Tank
Facilitated by the CSinPA team, this new advisory committee will help shape artificial intelligence (AI) education Pennsylvania
- Open to anyone interested in AI
- Submit this interest form to learn more
CSTA/ACM Cutler-Bell Prize
- Open to high school seniors
- Applications due January 10
- Students: Apply here
- Teachers: Nominate a student
- Open to 9-12 grade woman, genderqueer, or non-binary student
- Applications due November 5
- Prizes for regional (PA has 3), state, and national winners.
Microsoft TEALS 2022-23 professional learning
- Recruiting high schools in Philadelphia
PA CSTA chapters
Basic membership in the Computer Science Teachers Association (CSTA) is FREE and educators may join multiple chapters.
- Pittsburgh: Leadership positions available (contact Erin Cawley directly for info.)
- Susquehanna: Grade-level band leader positions available
- Philadelphia: Leadership positions available
Philadelphia - Fall symposium: November 13, 9:00 am - 12:30 pm (virtual)
- Keynote: Addison Lilholt, "Lessons Learned from Gamification of the Remote Classroom"
Susquehanna - Chapter meeting: December 2, 7:30 pm (virtual)
Susquehanna - Getting started with Phidgets Edu: January 26, 7:30 pm (virtual)
- Registration coming soon.
- Teachers may click here to request a free starter set of Phidgets. Use promo code CSTASUS for a free bonus sensor.
K-5 students and their families are invited to join meet people who are involved in space travel and try out some aerospace skills with hands-on activities in this one-hour TV program.
Watch Family Night: Space on November 4, 7:00 pm
on your Pennsylvania PBS station (6:00 pm on WPSU) or the Pennsylvania PBS website.