Science, Technology, Engineering, Math
Families and STEM
Edinburgh Jr/Sr High
Students built a pendulum in class to watch energy transformations. They had to figure out what happened to the energy while the pendulum was swinging back and forth.
STEM certified at East Side
Message from Mr. Schoettmer
East Side Elementary has become STEM Certified. We are the only school in Johnson County who have accomplished this and one of the only STEM Certified Elementary Schools in the surrounding counties.
According to the DOE's website "STEM education encompasses four academic disciplines - science, technology, engineering, and mathematics - in an interdisciplinary and applied approach. STEM guides our vision of ensuring all K-12 Indiana students graduate with critical thinking skills. Indiana students must have access to a world-class STEM education necessary to compete in an innovation-driven economy. STEM will equip students with 21st-century skills, preparing future generations of Hoosiers to thrive in STEM-related businesses and industries."
Here at East Side we have worked towards this goal for several years and began the certification process during the 19-20 school year. Covid-19 slowed our process, but we continued to work towards this certification.
STEM Bins in Mrs. J Garrett's class
What are STEM Bins? STEM Bins are boxes filled with an engineering manipulative of your choice, such as Legos, pattern blocks, base ten blocks, unifix cubes, toothpicks and playdough, or popsicle sticks with velcro on the ends. STEM Bins encourage students to create, invent, and solve problems.
Third grade made a pumpkin vomit, met virtually with Laurie at the Indianapolis Zoo, received 5 new Robots, and used string to talk to other rooms this month!
No charge to you!
If you are interested please email me ASAP so I can get you signed up.
Launch STEM summit
Launch into STEM 2021! Jan. 2, 2021
- Keynote by Engineer, Educator, Former NASA Astronaut and NFL Wide Receiver, Leland Melvin
- Keynote by Author, Software Engineer Josh Funk
- 6 STEAM Professional Development Sessions (Manuel Herrera, Dr. John Spencer, Andre Daughty, Vicky Fang, Jennifer Swanson, Carly and Adam, and more!)
- Facebook Live Lunch Panel
- STEM Professional Development Hours
- Immediate Access to 5 STEM Activities by Carly and Adam ($17.50 Value)
- Certificate of Completion
- Access to All Content until April 1, 2021.