G.W.T. Weekly Newsletter
January 31, 2021
Governor Kay Ivey Extends Mask Mandate
Gov. Kay Ivey has announced Alabama’s mask order has been extended. The order will require people to wear a facial covering when within 6 feet of someone else. This order has been extended to March 5th. Masks are also required in schools and colleges for employees and students in second grade and above. For more information, click here.
Dates to Remember
January 15th- March 1st- OSR Pre-K Registration (see additional information below)
February 1-5th- Counselor's WeeK
February 3rd- World Read Aloud Day
February 5th- 100th Day of School- Dress like you are 100 years old!
February 15th- E Learning Day- No School
Parent At Home Resources
Focus Area: Phonemic Awareness
Phonemic awareness is not the sounding out of words, reading of words, spelling patterns, or words. Rather, it is the foundation for phonics and reading success. Phonemic awareness is the ability to hear and manipulate the sounds in spoken words, and the understanding that spoken words and syllables are made up of sequences of speech sounds.
Ways to practice at home.
1) Nursery Rhymes – Read nursery rhymes to your child and have them help you guess the rhyming word in each sentence.
2) Dr. Seuss Books – Dr. Seuss books are great to read to your child because they are full of rhymes. Read them to your child and have them help you guess the rhyming words.
3) Guess that Beginning Sound – During car trips think of different words to tell your child. See if they can guess what beginning sound they start with.
4) Make a list – Make a pretend shopping list with your child with items that can only begin with a certain sound (C – carrots, corn, cake).
5) Penny Push – Give your child 5 pennies. Place a picture on the table. Have them push up a penny for each sound they hear in the word.
6) Heads, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes – Give your child with 1 – 4 sounds (I, to, cat, dogs) and have them stand and touch their head, shoulders, knees, and toes as they are saying the sounds in the word.
7) Bean Bag Toss – Hand your child 5 bean bags. Give them a word. Have them toss a bean bag in a bucket for each sound they hear in the word. For each bean bag they make in the bucket, they get a point.
8) Phoneme Jump – Place a green, yellow, and red mat on the floor and give your child a word. Have them jump to each mat for each sound they hear in the word.
9) Silly Putty – Give your child some silly putty and a word. Have them stretch the silly putty for each sound they hear in the word.
10) Down By the Bay – Sing the song “Down by the Bay” and have your child come up with their own rhyme at the end (“Have you ever seen a bee drinking some tea?”)
AMSTI Parent Resources
PreK Registration Opens 1/15/21!
PreK Registration opens on January 15th. See below for the link for registration as well as other parent information ( English and Spanish versions). Registration closes on March 1, 2021. A public random selection process will be held on March 2, 2021 at 2:00 p.m. in the school library. More information coming soon!
First Grade Newsletter
Second Grade Newsletter
Cyber Tigers Connect!
Hey Cyber Tiger Parents and Students!
Be sure to check Google Classroom for assignments. Readworks, Prodigy, Suggested Spelling and Sight Word lists can be found there.
Some assignments are still made from Edmentum, as well.
You can still reach us through the virtual email account at email@example.com
Breakfast and Lunch
All students will eat breakfast and lunch free for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year!!
Thank you for treating our teachers to breakfast! From our anonymous donor!
More Breakfast Treats
These precious babies treated our teachers to biscuits!
Thank you Mrs. Frederick- DMS
Mrs. Frederick from DMS shared her baby pigs with us! Even Miss Oaks had to hold one!
We can't post every picture but this classroom is ROCKING it! Shout out to Mrs Moreland's class for making reading growth and earning trophies on Edmentum!
A Dab of Success!
That is how we feel about making HUGE gains in reading!
Each morning, second graders say the Pledge of Allegiance over the intercom. This month it was Mrs. Banister's class.