Summit Virtual Academy
Weekly Update - Week of January 30, 2023
Welcome to Second Semester
This week officially begins second semester. Remember, Summit students did not receive first marking period grades, but will be given grades for first semester. Please be patient as we work to input this information. Your instructors are working hard to finalize grades, and, as those become available, we are working to input them in MiStar.
For students and parents in grades K-10, participating this past week in winter NWEA testing, thank you for your cooperation. This is important data to guide future instruction.
Be sure to use the start of the semester to get off on the right track and stay on pace in your courses. If there is anything the office can do to help you to do so, please feel free to reach out. In this week's newsletter, you will find information on the upcoming 2023-2024 Summit Virtual Academy application process. It's hard to believe, but that time is drawing near. If you plan on enrolling your student in Summit Virtual Academy, this application must be submitted prior to the deadline in order to be considered. Additional details can be found below.
Upcoming Scheduling for the 2023/2024 School Year
- February 7 - Scheduling presentations by BHS counselors to students in the PAC (current 9th grade at 8:20am, 10th grade at 9:30am, 11th grade at 12:10pm)
- February 8 - scheduling presentations by BHS counselors to incoming 9th graders at BMS media center
- February 15, afternoon - Incoming 9th graders come to BHS in the afternoon for a BHS Link crew led tour of the building, programs, etc.
- February 16 at 7pm - In the BHS performing arts center, BHS administration and counseling presentation on high school curriculum and programming to the parents of incoming 9th graders
- Week of February 20 - scheduling requests begin for all students
OSTC Options for 2023
Summit Virtual Academy Application for the 2023-2024 School Year
Upcoming Dates and Events:
- February 8 - BHS counselors present scheduling information at BMS for 8th graders
- February 15, All Day - Link Crew Orientation for incoming freshmen at BHS
- February 16, 7:00pm - Parent Meeting for incoming freshman regarding scheduling
- Monday, February 20 - Tuesday, February 21 _ Mid Winter Break
- Wednesday, March 01 - 2023-2024 Summit Virtual Academy applications available to complete
Food Pantry For Those in Need
Brandon School District School Closing Guidelines
Reminder of Expectations
- Expect your student to work for roughly 45-60 minutes per day, per course
- By now, you should have been reached out to by a counselor regarding your course progress. These will happen once a week. It is extremely important that you respond to communication. Please note that the student needs to respond and be in communication, not just the parent(s).
- Your main point of contact for content specific questions is your course instructor. If you need help doing so, don't hesitate to reach out to us at 248-627-1820.
Link for elementary overview: https://e.edmentum.com/eoa-getting-started-students-parents-caregivers/
Instructional Model overview for online learning (last page has links embedded to parent orientation presentations):